Topics

moderated Fixed - Links in confirmation emails. #bug

The mailto links in the subscribe and unsubscribe confirmation emails are gone.
The group name is now given in plaintext, instead of as a link that attempts to submit a post.
Now the member has only one choice -- read the content of the email and reply as instructed. :)
Thanks, @Mark Fletcher!

Thank you for your interest in Groups.io and the group <groupname>.groups.io. To complete your subscription, please reply to this email.
If you did not request - or do not want - a subscription to this group, please accept our apologies and ignore this message.
Cheers,
The Groups.io Team
--cg

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 7:00 AM Curt Gowan <curt.gowan@...> wrote:
The mailto links in the subscribe and unsubscribe confirmation emails are gone.
The group name is now given in plaintext, instead of as a link that attempts to submit a post.
Now the member has only one choice -- read the content of the email and reply as instructed. :)
Thanks, @Mark Fletcher!

Umm, I haven't touched the code. I do try to take weekends off. I'm not always successful, but I was, more or less, this past weekend. :-)

Mark

Aha! Looking back, I see that this issue originally showed up when testing from Gmail.
It turns out that the confirmation mail link issue disappears when using Outlook Mail !
Microsoft apparently disables mailto links as part of their "Safe Links" anti-phishing system.

Please change the subscribe and unsubscribe confirmation emails so that the mailto links are disabled -- or so that they function the same as a reply.
Quite a few people are going to click that shiny link instead of noticing the instruction to send a reply.
(When using a phone, the full text may not even show up on their small screen. We're seeing lots of cases where people don't see anything but the first paragraph of an email.)

(Good that you are recharging regularly. This is a heads-up for me to take a couple of days off from the Yahoo Groups transition project -- which is smoking out lots of issues for our multiple groups with several thousand members each.)

Thanks!
--cg

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:12 PM, Curt Gowan wrote:
Please change the subscribe and unsubscribe confirmation emails so that the mailto links are disabled
I'm not sure there's a way for GIO to do that.  Many email services/clients automatically linkify things that they think are mailto links (and URLs.)  You'd have to disable that in your email reader.

Duane

If the confirmation emails had
<groupname> instead of
<groupname>@groups.io  in the body,
then no email reader would interpret it as a mailto link.
Better yet, make the link a mailto that matches the From address in the email -- and change the text to indicate the reply as an alternative to clicking the link.
--cg