Topics

moderated fix toggling of alpha column-order vs which column ordered by #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi Shal,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 05:10 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first.
I don't see this. If I go to a member list, the default order is the most recent join/applied entries at the top of the list.
What I want is for each column to retain its own direction, independent of changing the direction of any other other column.
Agreed.  If I click the Display Name, Email or Delivery column headings, the list is sorted in reverse alpha (Z-A). All we have asked for is that to be the other way around (A-Z) to start with and if the column heading is clicked for a second time, it goes Z-A.

Regards,
Andy

Mark,

I go to the Members page. It defaults to sorted by Joined, most recent
first. I then click on any other column header. And it retains the
existing sort direction. ... Is that not what you asked for?
No. At least, it is not what I would want.

That is,

1) starting with Joined/Applied most recent first,
2) I click Email and change it to alphabetical,
3) I click back to Joined/Applied.

As it is now, Joined/Applied has mysteriously switched to oldest first. (Ok, not mysterious: you copied the direction from the email column.) I think it is a violation of least astonishment - in what way is a member's Joined/Applied date connected to his/her email address? Why would changing the order of one change the order of the other?

What I want is for each column to retain its own direction, independent of changing the direction of any other other column.

Shal

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 01:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not what we want.
As in "royal we" :-)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 01:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I then click on any other column header. And it retains the existing sort direction.
Mark,

If by "existing sort direction" you mean the sort direction of "Joined," then that's probably the problem, because that's reverse chrono order, not chrono. I think that by default, we want the sort to be by reverse chrono order for Joined, but by alpha (not reverse alpha) order for Display Name and Email.

The bottom line is that currently, if you actually do this (not just look at the code), you'll see that when you actually click on "any other column," the sort comes up reverse. Not what we want.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:50 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Same with display name. Does not seem fixed. :-(

So I guess I don't understand. I go to the Members page. It defaults to sorted by Joined, most recent first. I then click on any other column header. And it retains the existing sort direction. I click the column again to switch sort direction. Then I click another column. It keeps the existing sort direction. Is that not what you asked for?

Same with display name. Does not seem fixed. :-(

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 06:21 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This particular mild PITA has now been fixed. :-)
If I click in the email address header, it's still sorted in reverse alpha to start with.

Andy

Yay! Thanks, Mark. 😊

On Jun 20, 2019, at 10:21 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:42 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
When viewing the members list, the default display order is date joined. Say you want to order by email address. You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order. This is a mild PITA (and also vaguely disconcerting - it's not what you expect).

This particular mild PITA has now been fixed. :-)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 7:42 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
When viewing the members list, the default display order is date joined. Say you want to order by email address. You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order. This is a mild PITA (and also vaguely disconcerting - it's not what you expect).

This particular mild PITA has now been fixed. :-)

Yes, for all columns. It was a general request with a specific example.

On Jun 14, 2019, at 11:34 AM, Andy W <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order.
The same appears to be true for the Display Name column too.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 03:42 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order.
The same appears to be true for the Display Name column too.

Andy

When viewing the members list, the default display order is date joined. Say you want to order by email address. You click on the email column heading, but what happens is that you get a display in reverse alpha order of email address, and have to click on that column a second time to see it in alpha order. This is a mild PITA (and also vaguely disconcerting - it's not what you expect).

I want the system to distinguish between my intention to (a) switch the column the display is ordered by, on the one hand, vs. (b) toggle the display between alpha and reverse alpha, on the other.

It seems easy to do: if the display is currently ordered by X, and the user clicks on Y, just change the column the display is ordered by, and assume alpha order is desired. If, OTOH, the display is currently ordered by X and the user clicks on X again, then toggle between alpha and reverse alpha.