Topics

moderated fix toggling of alpha column-order vs which column ordered by #suggestion

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 04:38 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The table is ordered by one column at a time. I must be misunderstanding you.
My thoughts exactly.

Andy

J,

Wow, that would be astonishing, alright. I don't even understand how this is conceivable. The table is ordered by one column at a time. I must be misunderstanding you.

Wow. Now I'm astonished for an entirely different reason.  ;-)

Let me try again:
1) You go to the Members list of your group.
2) You click on the Email column header.
3) You want it alphabetical, so you click on it again if necessary.
4) You decide to look by Applied/Joined, so you click on that column heading.
5) You want to see most recent first, so you click again if necessary.
6) Now you click back on the Email column header.
7) You observe that it has flipped over to reverse alphabetical order.

Is that what you expected and want? Not me. I think it is astonishing and undesirable that something I did to the direction of the Applied/Joined column changed the direction of the Email column when I switch back to it.

If you're still confused, do the steps again, but this time at step 5 leave the Applied/Joined column oldest first. Now what do you see at step 7?

Shal

Andy Wedge

Hi Shal,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 06:16 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
Is that what you expected and want? Not me.
I agree with the steps you execute and the results you see, but that still boils down to the fact that the initial click on a column heading (after arriving at the member list or after sorting by another column) sorts the list in reverse alpha (Z-A).  All we have asked for is that it sorts A-Z.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Andy

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM, Andy W wrote:
I agree with the steps you execute and the results you see, but that still boils down to the fact that the initial click on a column heading (after arriving at the member list or after sorting by another column) sorts the list in reverse alpha (Z-A).
Exactly, just tested this and Andy took the words right out of my mouth. This is still just the original problem (or "sin" ;)

Hi All,

Without some reasonable amount of work, I can't make it so individual columns remember their settings. The problem is that when sorting in a database, sorting most recent first on a number (ie date) corresponds to sorting from z to a on a string. I'm sorting the same 'direction' according to the database, but it looks like the opposite to you.

I've made the following change on the members page. If it's at least sufficient for now, I'll propagate it elsewhere. Now all columns default to a-z sorting, except Joined, which defaults to most recent first. This is almost the same as when we started this quest two days ago, but at least the default sort is more appropriate per column. Please let me know what you think.

Mark,

That sounds perfect and I will check it out later.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 07:56 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Now all columns default to a-z sorting, except Joined, which defaults to most recent first.
That works for me.

Thanks Mark.

Andy

Michael Pavan

Members always defaults to Joined/Applied (unrestricted/restricted groups): newest - oldest
no matter which view (Display Name, Email, Delivery, or Joined/Applied) or sort order was last chosen.

Then clicking on Display Name, Email, or Delivery now yields A-Z sort;
and clicking on Joined/Applied:
if currently sorted, yields the reverse
if currently not sorted, yields newest - oldest.

Having it remember last view and sort would be preferred, but this is fine for me.

-- .--- .--.

Yay, works perfectly now!

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

Mark,

Thanks for the update and clarification.

I am still confused on what the "Delivery" sort is based on. Possibly last character of string? For example, when clicking on the Delivery column, I see the order as follows: Single / Special / No Email / Full Digest / Summary

--
Gerald

Duane

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 04:55 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I am still confused on what the "Delivery" sort is based on.
It's the digit that is stored as part of their record in the group database.  If you export your members list, you'll see them there.  "Email Delivery(0=Single,1=Plain Digest,2=Special,3=None,4=Full Digest,5=Summary)"

Duane

Mark,

Without some reasonable amount of work, I can't make it so individual
columns remember their settings.
Too bad. I didn't consider the effort it might take. Presumably the effort is because it (the last seen direction of each column) would need to be remembered per-user, perhaps in a cookie?

The problem is that when sorting in a database, sorting most recent
first on a number (ie date) corresponds to sorting from z to a on a
string. I'm sorting the same 'direction' according to the database,
but it looks like the opposite to you.
That I understood.

I don't think it would have been of nearly as much concern if the columns each remembered their "last seen" direction; which is the only reason I tossed that idea into this topic.

I've made the following change on the members page. If it's at least
sufficient for now, I'll propagate it elsewhere. ... Please let me
know what you think.
I think it is fine now. I primarily didn't like having a direction change in one column affect the direction of another.

Shal