moderated "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug


Duane
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 04:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think, regardless of the changes and the non-retroactivity of them, that there's a real problem if someone double- and triple-checks their subscription page, finds Individual Messages, finds Following Only, and finds a topic in their Followed Topics list, and still gets no email because three months ago they set themselves to No Email but forgot.
It sounds like the non-retroactivity is where your problem is.  Have you changed it to something else and back since the changes were made?  I believe that's why it works for Andy, but not for you.

Duane


 

The non-retroactivity is the problem. I posted the chronology already. I haven’t touched my settings since the changes. I think the changes may need to be made retroactive.


On Mar 5, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 04:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think, regardless of the changes and the non-retroactivity of them, that there's a real problem if someone double- and triple-checks their subscription page, finds Individual Messages, finds Following Only, and finds a topic in their Followed Topics list, and still gets no email because three months ago they set themselves to No Email but forgot.
It sounds like the non-retroactivity is where your problem is.  Have you changed it to something else and back since the changes were made?  I believe that's why it works for Andy, but not for you.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 05:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think the changes may need to be made retroactive.
In that case, all you have to do is wait for Mark to get his round tuit working.  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If you don't want to wait, make the changes as Andy did.

Duane


 

It’s not me. It’s the whole system, including mods who don’t have a clue about the problem.


On Mar 5, 2021, at 5:31 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 05:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think the changes may need to be made retroactive.
In that case, all you have to do is wait for Mark to get his round tuit working.  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If you don't want to wait, make the changes as Andy did.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Not to mention, as I said before, it’s not realistic (or even possible) for mods to go through member lists and find the disconnecting variables and change them. What does a mod do when they find a member who is No Email in the Member List but Individual Email in thei member page? And that’s sssuming they could even find all of them, which is not practical in large groups.


On Mar 5, 2021, at 5:59 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

It’s not me. It’s the whole system, including mods who don’t have a clue about the problem.


On Mar 5, 2021, at 5:31 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 05:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think the changes may need to be made retroactive.
In that case, all you have to do is wait for Mark to get his round tuit working.  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28503  If you don't want to wait, make the changes as Andy did.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 08:09 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
it’s not realistic (or even possible) for mods to go through member lists and find the disconnecting variables and change them. What does a mod do when they find a member who is No Email in the Member List but Individual Email in thei member page?
If/when a member has a question about messages/delivery, I'll look into it and/or coach them.  Otherwise, I leave it up to the members to decide what settings they want.  With the fix in place, they won't be able to select conflicting settings, so there shouldn't be many questions/complaints.

Duane


Andy Wedge
 

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 02:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
What does a mod do when they find a member who is No Email in the Member List but Individual Email in thei member page? And that’s sssuming they could even find all of them, which is not practical in large groups.
For your own groups I'd be inclined to send a message direct to all those on the membership list who have No Email set to get them to verify their settings. If you have alerted them to the possibility of an issue then it's up to them to check and be responsible for their own settings.

I still find it odd that there would be more than one location in the Groups.io database where the member delivery settings are held and that the subscription page would take information from one source and the membership list from another.  If that is the case, then it would also bring into question the validity of the data returned by the member info object in the API

Regards,
Andy


 

Yes to all by Duane and Andy. There are hacks we can make and warnings we can give out until the bug - member-list email delivery does not match member-page email delivery - is fixed.


On Mar 6, 2021, at 4:52 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 02:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
What does a mod do when they find a member who is No Email in the Member List but Individual Email in thei member page? And that’s sssuming they could even find all of them, which is not practical in large groups.
For your own groups I'd be inclined to send a message direct to all those on the membership list who have No Email set to get them to verify their settings. If you have alerted them to the possibility of an issue then it's up to them to check and be responsible for their own settings.

I still find it odd that there would be more than one location in the Groups.io database where the member delivery settings are held and that the subscription page would take information from one source and the membership list from another.  If that is the case, then it would also bring into question the validity of the data returned by the member info object in the API

Regards,
Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Unfortunately, though, No Emsil members won’t receive the warnings. And there’s nothing they can do to fix their No Email setting anyway, since the only place they can set it is in their subscription page and it looks like it is set correctly there to Individusl Email. I’m assuming that toggling it back and forth would work because the changes would then kick in, but I haven’t tried this yet in my own settings because I want to preserve the bug to show Mark.


On Mar 6, 2021, at 5:31 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Yes to all by Duane and Andy. There are hacks we can make and warnings we can give out until the bug - member-list email delivery does not match member-page email delivery - is fixed.


On Mar 6, 2021, at 4:52 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 02:09 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
What does a mod do when they find a member who is No Email in the Member List but Individual Email in thei member page? And that’s sssuming they could even find all of them, which is not practical in large groups.
For your own groups I'd be inclined to send a message direct to all those on the membership list who have No Email set to get them to verify their settings. If you have alerted them to the possibility of an issue then it's up to them to check and be responsible for their own settings.

I still find it odd that there would be more than one location in the Groups.io database where the member delivery settings are held and that the subscription page would take information from one source and the membership list from another.  If that is the case, then it would also bring into question the validity of the data returned by the member info object in the API

Regards,
Andy

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu