Topics

locked First Impressions of Groups.io

I own a number of Yahoo groups and have been casting around for alternatives - for obvious reasons. I've tried Google Groups and Facebook.

My first impressions of Groups.io are very favourable - the UI is clean, user-friendly, intuitive and attractive, with the better bits of Yahoo Neo plus the minimalism of Google.

My main groups are a mixed bag; a help group for expatriates in France, a group for expat engineers, a former employees group and a golf society group.

The following are the facilities I would like to see added ASAP:

A File Section

A Link Directory

The following would be nice but isn't immediately essential:

A Photo section (being able to post inline or attached photos in messages answers the primary need for photos).

I have no need for:

Database

Polls

I hope this helps and I wish those working on groups.io every success in their venture.

regards,

Ian

 tessel.bas@... or iangillis@...
Site Web http://www.notrevieenfrance.net
Blog http://stecolombedevilleneuve.wordpress.com/

Ian,

Thanks so much for the feedback. It looks like after I complete the calendar (next day or so), I should work on the file section next.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

[...]

Here's a case where I'd like to acknowledge receipt of your thoughtful message, but don't have anything to add. In this case Facebook has a "Like" feature - which is a simple click.

Maybe something to bear in mind?

regards,
Ian

On 6 November 2014 18:38, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'd definitely 'like' (yuck yuck) to add likes as well. I forgot to include that in the roadmap.

--

On 6 November 2014 23:30, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
I'd definitely 'like' (yuck yuck) to add likes as well. I forgot to include that in the roadmap.

Hi Mark,

Good. I've got a Yahoo group for which I created a parallel Facebook Group. My intention was for people to tinker with FB to see if they liked it. The FB group now gets much more traffic and has attracted twice the membership. One reason is that the few "generators of information" are encouraged by the "like" feedback - they know that their efforts have not been in vain. Whereas they could generate​ an enormously useful post on Yahoo but become totally discouraged by the feeling that no-one had read or appreciated it.

An allied reason is that not everyone is totally proficient in the use of the words; some far prefer to make a one-word comment or tick a "like" button than embark on a piece of deathless prose…

regards,
Ian

--

Ian,

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

Good. I've got a Yahoo group for which I created a parallel Facebook Group. My intention was for people to tinker with FB to see if they liked it. The FB group now gets much more traffic and has attracted twice the membership. One reason is that the few "generators of information" are encouraged by the "like" feedback - they know that their efforts have not been in vain. Whereas they could generate​ an enormously useful post on Yahoo but become totally discouraged by the feeling that no-one had read or appreciated it.

You're not the first person who's said their FB group gets significantly more traffic than their Yahoo Group. I'm trying to understand the reasons why that seems to be the general case. Is it just a function of FB having massive traffic? Or do their groups have a set of features or are set up in a particular way that encourages this? I think you're right that Likes improve usage, for example.

On 7 November 2014 16:22, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
You're not the first person who's said their FB group gets significantly more traffic than their Yahoo Group. I'm trying to understand the reasons why that seems to be the general case. Is it just a function of FB having massive traffic?

​Hi Mark,​

​No - a private FB group gets only group traffic, so a small group is a quiet backwater.

Or do their groups have a set of features or are set up in a particular way that encourages this?

​Yes.

The group I mentioned that has both FB and Yahoo versions has a wide demography​ - I've got a few dinosaurs who write impeccable English and rather more youngsters with limited vocabularies. Both wish to communicate - the dinosaurs think that Zuckerberg is the devil incarnate, the youngsters wish they could write like the dinosaurs but prefer short comments and pictures posted from their mobile (cell) phones, would be embarrassed to attempt any sort of prose and are thus easily seduced by FB.

Even I, a prime dinosaur, have been infected; last weekend I was at an engineers' reunion and wanted to post a "look what I'm doing" note to the engineering group. I only had my iPhone; with FB it's a couple of taps - I wouldn't even countenance attempting to post a photo to the Yahoo group.

In my view a group must have a mobile version or it will die. More and more people possess only mobile phones or tablets. IMHO you will have to cater for them with an iOS and Android app.

​regards,
Ian​

--

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

Even I, a prime dinosaur, have been infected; last weekend I was at an engineers' reunion and wanted to post a "look what I'm doing" note to the engineering group. I only had my iPhone; with FB it's a couple of taps - I wouldn't even countenance attempting to post a photo to the Yahoo group.

In my view a group must have a mobile version or it will die. More and more people possess only mobile phones or tablets. IMHO you will have to cater for them with an iOS and Android app.

That's the feedback I've been receiving from others as well, and I believe you're absolutely correct; we need a mobile app.

Mark

On 8 November 2014 06:32, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
That's the feedback I've been receiving from others as well, and I believe you're absolutely correct; we need a mobile app.

​ ("like")!​