Topics

locked First email in thread plus digest

Frances

My son who boycotts our family Yahoogroups suggests this:
He would like to be able to set up preferences so that he receives the first post in any thread to the groups he subscribes to - automatically and right away. After that any responses to that thread would be digested for delivery once a day.
He finds that he feels obliged to silence his Blackberry if there is too much traffic especially while at work.
Getting the digest would give him the option of going to the website if he wishes.

Frances

Hi Frances,

It almost exactly works like that right now. When your subscription is set to receive only the first message in a thread, if you later click the follow thread link for that thread, any/all missed messages in that thread are sent to you, individually, at that time, so you don't miss any of the conversation. After that, if you've checked the digest checkbox, any additional messages in that thread are sent as a nightly digest (or after 25 messages occur, whichever comes first).

I had not thought about it, but maybe I should change the behavior when you first click the follow thread link. If you're on digest, maybe you shouldn't get the batch of messages at that point, and they should be digested, as in your son's original suggestion. What do you think? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:
My son who boycotts our family Yahoogroups suggests this:
He would like to be able to set up preferences so that he receives the first post in any thread to the groups he subscribes to - automatically and right away. After that any responses to that thread would be digested for delivery once a day.
He finds that he feels obliged to silence his Blackberry if there is too much traffic especially while at work.
Getting the digest would give him the option of going to the website if he wishes.

Frances

I realized after I went to bed last night that I was wrong.. It does not currently work close to what your son wants. If set to receive the first message only and on digest, those messages will go to the digest, and not directly out. What your son wants doesn't exist at the moment. I'm concerned that Groups.io is complicated enough as is, so let me ponder if it makes sense to add a new setting.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

First, a simple question! How do you mute a thread on the website? It is easy to do from the email, but what about from the website?

Frances

Okay, sorry! Forgot about the Inbox view.

No worries. I know that the web site can be improved in terms of user friendliness. If you have any suggestions for how to make it easier to use or understand, or if there's something that you don't understand, please let me know.

Thanks!
Mark