moderated File listing order changed? Why? #suggestion #fixed

KWKloeber

Icons and file types still oddly not consist?

Derek Milliner

KWK - your image doesn't render for me, but I did have a look through the page code and I can see that Mark's using Font Awesome to provide the icons (see https://fontawesome.cc/Files/). As far as I can see from a brief look it's consistent across the site; for instance a folder icon is created by:

<i class="far fa-folder fa-lg"></i>

in both the listing and search results. The apparent switch to the white on black rather than black on white (now styled back to blue) would have been down to using the fas rather than far class by intent or typo, I think the code was actually generated as this in fact:

<i class="fa fa-folder fa-lg"></i>

Just my 2 Ningis worth...

Duane

On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM, Andy wrote:
They used to display with Folders first, followed by Files, in the default view (with the up-arrow next to "Name").
Yes, that's the way it used to be in the default display instead of interspersed as they are now.

Duane

KWKloeber

Derek

can you see the screenshot online?
the ICON and TYPE are inconsistent when it comes to a pdf file.  Sometimes they’re both true to the subject file being a *.pdf and sometimes not.

pdf icon - PDF type
plain old icon - FILE type
(both examples I show in the screenshot are pdf files)

Andy

KWKloeber,

I'm not Derek -- but I could not see your screenshot either, both in email and online.  It's just an empty box.  What do you see when checking your own message online?  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29453

Re: PDF files.  Are you saying groups.io is not consistent about PDF files, sometimes labeling them as non-pdf-non-folder Files?

Andy

Gilbert Coville

I have some PDFs that came over in our migration from Yahoo back in Oct 2019.  The PDFs are fine, but show up as type File.  Probably something in the import process didn’t recognize them as PDF.   In another folder where this occurred, I re-uploaded them and they were identified properly as PDF.  I just haven’t done that with these files.

Gilbert

On May 15, 2021, at 10:04 AM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

KWKloeber,

I'm not Derek -- but I could not see your screenshot either, both in email and online.  It's just an empty box.  What do you see when checking your own message online?  https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29453

Re: PDF files.  Are you saying groups.io is not consistent about PDF files, sometimes labeling them as non-pdf-non-folder Files?

Andy

Derek Milliner

Same as Andy - doesn't render in email client, web or app.

The PDF icon thing may just be down to how the files are indexed. Simplistically you can use file extensions, but that's not reliable; just because it has .pdf or .docx doesn't mean it really is a PDF or word doc. Or you can use format signatures (magic bytes), where a file type will/should have known headers or byte patterns.

In the case of PDF files, the spec calls for the files to start with %PDF. However, many don't and most readers will happily open and parse files without it. If whatever tooling Mark is using to create the directory indexes relies on finding %PDF then you can see how the situation you describe might arise.

Don Pottenger

Coming from 10 years+ at yahoo groups, I really don’t like the new sort order. I would much prefer to see all the folders first and then files like it used to be.