File list defaults #suggestion

Andy

Can you add user-settings for the default File list order?

That is, when displaying a list of Files (in a group's Files section), currently the default list order is alphabetically by filename.  Could we (users) choose a different default order?  (In the user's Account Preferences.)

I think these choices would be useful:
  • Filename order -- currently this is the only default
  • Increasing Date order, newest at bottom
  • Decreasing Date order, newest at top
perhaps with an additional choice (a checkbox?) to group Folders and Files separately (e.g., list all Folders first).  Again, what I'm asking for, is a way to specify these as our default list order, so that I don't need to click "Date" every time.

This has long bothered me.  I often go to Files several times daily, and I need to click on the Date header every single time, every single folder I look in; and if I make any changes there, I need to do it again, and again.  Now, members in my group asked for it too, so I want to make it an official request.

Andy

Andy

Here is a somewhat related thing, which has also nagged me ...   Sorry as it may be a little off-topic.

One of the user options is the one for "Items Per Page", which is in Account > Preferences > Display Preferences.  The choices are:
  • 20 Items (the initial default),
  • 50 Items,
  • 100 Items, and
  • Infinite Scroll.
These settings apparently affect Message listings, File listings, Member listings, Activity log listings, and probably elsewhere.

However, the "Infinite Scroll" choice does not seem to work for File listings.  Choosing "Infinite Scroll" causes File listings to revert to 20 Items per page.  That's odd.

Is there a reason for that, or is it a bug?

Andy

Andy

re: "Infinite Scroll":

It also doesn't work for Activity log listings.  It reverts to 20 items instead of infinite.

But it does work for the Member list, and Message list.

Maybe it's just OCD, but I like it when things are consistent.

(I am uncertain whether "Infinite Scroll" is actually a useful setting.  I find that I always go back to "100 Items" after trying it out.)

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 06:15 AM, Andy wrote:
However, the "Infinite Scroll" choice does not seem to work for File listings.  Choosing "Infinite Scroll" causes File listings to revert to 20 Items per page.  That's odd.
See Mark's response to a previous query on this: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25835

Andy

Pamela Tatt

Infinite Scroll doesn't work for Databases either yet choosing 100 items per page does?

I have struggled with the Database problem for some time until I happened to read a message in GMF a few weeks ago and decided to change my settings.

Much prefer the 100 per page as it works for Files, Photos etc as well.

Cheers,
Pamela
Knit4Charities Inc

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 02:36 AM, Pamela Tatt wrote:
Infinite Scroll doesn't work for Databases either yet choosing 100 items per page does?
According to the changelog from 8-May-21there was a change on 5-May that suggests this was made to work with Infinite Scroll.  Perhaps worth following up with Mark.  There may be a distinction between a list of database tables and the rows within an individual table.

Andy

Andy

I feel like we got off-track by talking about Infinite Scroll.

Is there any chance of adding a user-defined default order for listing Files?

Andy

Don Pottenger

I would second that suggestion. When the default file listing changed from folders first to just an alphabetical list (regardless of file type or folder) I found it confusing. I think the problem comes from the different ways the Mac (i.e. Finder) displays contents .vs. the PC (File Explorer) which by default lists folders first and then files alphabetically. Being a PC based person I dislike the current default listing purely by alphabet.

My $.02