Topics

moderated Feed view now the default

KWKloeber

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:50 PM, Ken Kloeber wrote:
Instead of clicking in the group Just use the pull down- takes you the list, not to your home page.  Yuck but I can deal with it.  No big deal.
I would suggest “Recent Activity ” and move the “view all” right next to that.

You agree at least that it’s a yuck.

On Mar 25, 2019, at 4:50 PM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber@...> wrote:

Instead of clicking in the group Just use the pull down- takes you the list, not to your home page.  Yuck but I can deal with it.  No big deal.

I'm afraid I don't like it either. As a mod, my priority is always to be able to see at a glance the groups where I need to approve messages or members and to get to those pending items with as few clicks as possible. The feed page is of zero interest or use to me. Sorry.

Helen

Agree with Helen except that I’d call it a minus, not a zero.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 07:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
You agree at least that it’s a yuck.
Gee, I hope it's not "boaty"  HA!

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 08:09 PM, J_Catlady wrote:J,

I'm suggesting an account option "order feed by activity" or "order feed by alphabetical order."
Why not make a new #suggestion then for the improvement of the Feed view? Maybe Feed Version 2? As opposed to discussing it in this thread.

I am impressed with what we have now, but like many others, "I want it my way". I think it can be better with some user options as to the ordering and what is shown. Every time Mark makes a change, I immediately go hunting for the Settings button or hamburger or whatever it's called in the top right corner of the "Your Feed" line, but so far, it's not there.

Perhaps with some brainstorming, we can come up with some solid plans.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 04:09 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm suggesting an account option "order feed by activity" or "order feed by alphabetical order."
I'd also propose a way to customize the feed page. I don't care about, nor do I want to be bothered with and have to scroll through, new files, new chats, new bla blas in every single group I'm a member of. Having to do this makes me want to quit a bunch of groups just to avoid the hassle. What about allowing an account to pick and choose which elements they want to see on their page?

Jim Higgins

I don't like it, especially that THE ORDER OF THE GROUPS BOUNCES AROUND WITH EACH VISIT!!

That said, I really don't care... because I receive all messages from the groups I own and subscribe to as single emails sent to my home email address, so past looking at it a half dozen times to see what the fuss was about, I don't care what the feed page looks like because I don't have to see it ever again.

Since nearly day one of my move to Groups.io I've been using several links like the one below on a default home page for my browser located on my computer that take me directly into the message section of groups I own/moderate. I only visit Groups.io to do things as a group owner, so my local links point to the "Messages" view of each of the groups I own simply because that view has the "Admin" menu selection... and I go from there. Browser bookmarks would work also, and would be easier to create initially were I less tech savvy, but would be more clicks each time they're used.

https://groups.io/g/GROUPNAME/messages

I recognize that this feed page fits into larger future plans, and as such is here to stay and might as well be accepted, but I'm glad I don't have to bother with it.

I bet the ability to set the order the groups display in, as well as other sorting rationales, will soon be a BIG topic of discussion.

Jim H

Received from J_Catlady at 3/25/2019 10:02 PM UTC:

I'm tempted to create a poll here to see how many people actually prefer this new feed view thingy.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:42 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
THE ORDER OF THE GROUPS BOUNCES AROUND WITH EACH VISIT!!
That's precisely the VERY SERIOUS problem with it.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 06:02 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm suggesting an account option "
And on top of that: I think it would be a good idea to provide checkboxes to accounts to let them specify which groups to include in the feed and which groups not to include. In terms of a feed page in general, I think this is more the norm rather than forcing everything possible into the feed without user input about what they want to see.

So the summary of my suggestions (and I'll stop here) are:

1. Make the feed page optional as a landing page (I doubt this will get implemented but I wish it would)
2. Importantly: Provide an account option to order the groups on the page either alphabetically or by recent activity. In looking back on Mark's original thread about the feed, I see the issue of the group order coming up there as well as now. I consider the current "bouncing around" (as Jim put it) of groups in the display unacceptable.
3. Provide checkboxes for which activities users want to see in their feed (chats, files, messages, etc.)
4. Provide checkboxes for which groups users want to see in their feed.

That's it. As cranky and upset as I am about this change, I'll live with it.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
1. Make the feed page optional as a landing page (I doubt this will get implemented but I wish it would)
2. Importantly: Provide an account option to order the groups on the page either alphabetically or by recent activity. In looking back on Mark's original thread about the feed, I see the issue of the group order coming up there as well as now. I consider the current "bouncing around" (as Jim put it) of groups in the display unacceptable.
3. Provide checkboxes for which activities users want to see in their feed (chats, files, messages, etc.)
4. Provide checkboxes for which groups users want to see in their feed.
OK, now we're getting somewhere.

Along with what you said for item 2 & 4, I would definitely also want to see a way of being able to set an arbitrary order.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 08:06 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I would definitely also want to see a way of being able to set an arbitrary order.
That would be nice but is never going to happen. I'm only asking for realistic, easily implementable stuff.
Glad you like the other suggestions. If they get done, I might even tolerate/like the feed page. :)

Maria

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:42 PM, Jim Higgins wrote:
THE ORDER OF THE GROUPS BOUNCES AROUND WITH EACH VISIT!!
It’s a feed. By definition it’s not static. Much like whatever online newspaper one reads tomorrow will not look as it did today. Or as breaking news gets published. Or even ones email inbox. Or one’s text messages. Or one’s WhatsApp chats. Like in WhatsApp and most other feeds, whatever is most recent bumps up to the top billing.

That said, this feed, unlike others doesn’t automatically reload or refresh itself. So until a user actually reloads the page, nothing changes. Obviously when you reload, anything with new activity jumps to the top. Btw: exactly same behavior as topics view and obviously messages view.

If you need a static list of your groups in alphabetical order, it’s still there, in the “your groups” section. One click away.

Maria

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 08:48 PM, HR Tech wrote:
It’s a feed. By definition it’s not static.
Obviously, that's understood. The problem is that it's forced on us as the landing page. I'm not sure how many of us want a dynamic "feed" (which doesn't even refresh itself - it's really neither here nor there, neither a feed nor a consistent list of groups, and I think fails as both) as a landing page, the page we see when logging in and expect to be easily able to find our groups from, the groups we use most often and are most interested in, and not necessarily see the groups that happen to be the most active (regardless of our interest in them) at the top, forcing a scroll downwards, and a different amount of scroll each time. Yes there's that "one click away," which I believe most people will be using most of the time. That or a bookmark. I think this is one of the biggest mistakes groups.io ever made.

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 12:22 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That would be nice but is never going to happen. I'm only asking for realistic, easily implementable stuff.
Glad you like the other suggestions. If they get done, I might even tolerate/like the feed page. :)
Hmm, are we reversing roles here? No reason to be negative. I'm thinking long term, not just the next few days.

--
Gerald

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:32 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Hmm, are we reversing roles here? No reason to be negative.I'm thinking long term, not just the next few days.

No, we're not reversing roles. LOL next few days vs. long-term. That's not going to happen until hell freezes over. And the rest of it probably won't happen in the next few days, either. :) I'm not being negative. Just extremely realistic. I would love to be wrong about this. In fact, maybe my predicting this will goad him into proving me wrong. That would be great!

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 09:55 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
will goad him
..should read will goad Mark. Artifact of bad edit of my original draft.

Chris Jones

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 01:42 AM, Jim Higgins wrote:
,,,because I receive all messages from the groups I own and subscribe to as single emails sent to my home email address
What is almost a passing remark contains what I suspect is A Great Truth.

A poll I conducted on the group I moderate revealed that the majority of (our) subscribers used Groups.io via the web UI only intermittently, with most interacting mainly or only by email. Now if that is true of most Groups.io Account holders then they will not notice the new Feed page until some time on the future (perhaps never!) so I am strongly tempted to ask who the change was aimed at; what is its intended purpose, and what was the scale of the demand for it.

Now I must admit that I don't particularly like it, (for reasons expounded by others, so I won't repeat them) but at the same time I am not greatly perturbed by it; I can get to where I want to be with a couple more clicks or I can simply create a different shortcut from the desktop.

My greater concern is the change to default settings, and that is under discussion elsewhere so I will not repeat my observations about that either.

Chris

Whoever it was done at the request of,  I would not stand in the way of groups.io imcome. But I think that ruining the user experience for the majority of users is ultimately not the best way to go. I would happily pay more for my premium group if it would help sidestep this fiasco.

Most of my group members access the group via the web. Your email users are in for a jolt the next time they happen to use the web.

On Mar 26, 2019, at 2:34 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Irving

Making the feed view the default has broken the sort-column links in the (old default, now moved) Your Groups page. For example, if I click on the Latest Message column heading, to re-sort the list, instead I am jumped to the new default Feed page.

While I'm commenting, I also suggest the first click on Latest Message should sort newest-first, not oldest-first as it did until yesterday before inserting the Feed page affected it more drastically. It's almost always what I wanted, and there would then be no need for a second click to reverse the sort order.

 - Mark I.