Topics

locked Feature suggestion: Group calendar

Hi All,

I suggest this with some trepidation, as I know that calendars are just about the canonical example of the "how hard can it be?" fallacy. Closer to the "research team and five years" end of the spectrum than "a few hours".
http://www.xkcd.com/1425/

That trepidation is reinforced by the botch job Yahoo did of the Groups calendar redesign in mid-2012:

Anyway, the essential requested feature is the ability to create reminders for events, and have those reminders post to the group. In my PTA groups I've used them for recurring meetings and special events. It is those pesky timezones and especially daylight savings time that are fraught with geographic (varying laws) and temporal (changing laws) edge cases. Even my relatively simple use case with PTA group members all in the same timezone gets mangled by the current Yahoo Groups calendar around every fall back and spring forward.

I'm not particularly interested in integration between the group's calendar and personal or other calenders (though others might be). That said, if there's a way for Groups.io to leverage Google calendar to achieve group reminders that might make the effort manageable, and theirs seems to work.

-- Shal

Hi Shal,

Group calendar is definitely on the todo list. And yes, calendars are a very tricky thing to get right. It's interesting that you mention Google Calendar integration, because that was my original thought as well. But while I think there's definitely some integrations with it that make sense, I think there needs to be a calendar 'owned' by the group. Any integration with G!Cal is in the form of talking with a particular user's calendar.

The timezone stuff is indeed really tricky.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
[...]

Not to reply to my own email, but I forgot to mention. One thing I'm excited about with doing the calendar, is group scheduling. Integrating functionality from something like http://doodle.com I think could be really neat. http://signupgenius.com is another one.

Mark

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark,

One thing I'm excited about with doing the calendar, is group
scheduling. Integrating functionality from something like
http://doodle.com I think could be really neat.
http://signupgenius.com is another one.
Oh, thanks for the tips! Especially signupgenius. I've been using forms in Google Drive to organize volunteer donations (food, prizes, etc.) for PTA events. A bit awkward but it works. A built-to-purpose tool sounds like a much better approach.

That's a hint that organizing "what" may be valuable as well as "who" and "when".

-- Shal