moderated Extra member data in subgroups #suggestion

Hi All,

Currently, premium parent groups can add extra member data, but that ability is disabled in subgroups - mainly because I don't know how it should work. Here is one proposal (what I call the 'union' proposal), please let me know what you think:

  • You would be able to specify additional extra member data fields in each subgroup, including profile information.
  • The parent group extra member data would be displayed in the /members page along with the subgroup's extra member data.
  • The extra member profile fields of the parent group would appear in the subgroup's profiles, along with the subgroup's extra member profile fields.
  • The parent's extra member fields would not be editable in the subgroup.

Thoughts?

Glenn Glazer

On 10/20/2022 15:50, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

Currently, premium parent groups can add extra member data, but that ability is disabled in subgroups - mainly because I don't know how it should work. Here is one proposal (what I call the 'union' proposal), please let me know what you think:

  • You would be able to specify additional extra member data fields in each subgroup, including profile information.
  • The parent group extra member data would be displayed in the /members page along with the subgroup's extra member data.
  • The extra member profile fields of the parent group would appear in the subgroup's profiles, along with the subgroup's extra member profile fields.
  • The parent's extra member fields would not be editable in the subgroup.

Thoughts?

This seems right to me. My brain wants to model this as OOP inheritance (subgroup as subclass) and this description fits that nicely. The only extra criteria I would add is that subgroups are distinct, that is, if group A has two subgroups B and C, then extra data added by B is not visible in C and vice-versa. I think you probably meant that, but I want to make it explicit.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Mark Murphy

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 06:50 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You would be able to specify additional extra member data fields in each subgroup, including profile information.
I like this idea and would use it for a subgroup of my premium group.

Brooke Brooks

I agree, this works nicely for my school groups where the sub groups are classrooms. One of my extra data fields is student name. if a parent is trying to find the parent email of their child’s bestie, they can do this much easier in a group of 20 to 30 parents then the the main group of 800.

Much appreciated

Hi All,

I've just pushed to production the ability for subgroups to add extra member data. Also, wherever extra member data is displayed in the subgroup, we also now display the parent group's extra member data.

One important caveat is that search does not currently search the parent extra member data. So, in /members and /directory, search in a subgroup will only include the subgroup's extra member data. I haven't yet figured out how to solve search so that it includes the parent group's data.

Please let me know if you have any questions or see something amiss.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 09:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you have any questions or see something amiss.
I added a date field to my test subgroup but the date selector when editing a membership record is blank:

Regards
Andy

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 4:29 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 09:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you have any questions or see something amiss.
I added a date field to my test subgroup but the date selector when editing a membership record is blank:

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce this. Is this in the '/editsub' URL or the '/member/' URL?

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 11:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce this. Is this in the '/editsub' URL or the '/member/' URL?
It's on the /member/ page for my subgroups. I've tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) but it's the same on each.

Regards
Andy

Brooke Brooks

I'm not able to see extra member data in the subgroup directory.

Brooke Brooks

I'm finding that only ONE of the four "extra data" columns are visible. All the settings for visibility are the same.

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 12:26 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 11:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hmm, I'm not able to reproduce this. Is this in the '/editsub' URL or the '/member/' URL?

It's on the /member/ page for my subgroups. I've tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) but it's the same on each.
This should be fixed now.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 8:55 PM Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:

I'm not able to see extra member data in the subgroup directory.
Can you give me some more information? Which URL are you expecting to
see the extra member data? Do the fields have the `Viewable in a
member's profile` checkbox set?

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 9:09 AM Brooke Brooks <linuxgrl@...> wrote:

I'm finding that only ONE of the four "extra data" columns are visible. All the settings for visibility are the same.
Please ignore my other email asking for more information. I've found
and fixed the bug.

Cheers,
Mark

Okay, it's time for me to get into this fray.

I've avoided any consideration of looking at/into the 'Extra Member Data' issue until it sounded like it was up-and-running, and the worst of the development fallout had been resolved. I was really hyped to find out we were going there as I've got just the information I want to plug into it. I'm the owner of a Premium group that's been around for just about a year and has ~200 members, and started another that is just barely getting organized. We've been ecstatic with Groups.io and how it works.

BUT, I'll be slammed if I can figure out where in the heck this 'Extra Member Data' is or goes, or how it gets there! I've dissected the Owners Manual don't find any way to format additional columns, cells, fields or anything else in the "Members" table. I've looked at the Database Folder and have created a couple (wow, they're great) - I actually thought this new feature would look like/operate just like "Edit Table Properties" would look and work. I've looked around, and looked into, and looked - my eyes are bulging. I've read many, if not all of the posts on the development and more.

But I can't figure out how to find this feature, implement it, use it or anything else. And I'd like to. Help, please. And THANKS!

Dan Tucker, Groups.io AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

On 11/8/22, 8:26 AM, "main@beta.groups.io <mailto:main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher" <main@beta.groups.io <mailto:main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of markf@corp.groups.io <mailto:markf@corp.groups.io>> wrote:

On 2022-11-08 14:38, Dan Tucker via groups.io wrote:
But I can't figure out how to find this feature, implement it, use it or anything else. And I'd like to. Help, please. And THANKS!

You're supposed to go to the Admin->Settings->Default Sub Settings page to set the fields up. (bottom of page, click on >to expand the panel)

And the manual doesn't say how to get there, no wonder you couldn't find it.

Cheers,
Christos