moderated Extra member data #releasenotes

Hi All,

I just pushed the first iteration of the extra member data feature I mentioned a few weeks ago. Here are the details of this new feature:

  • You can now specify new fields, similar to Database table fields, that are associated with each of your group members. To do so, go to the Default Sub Settings page under Settings and look for the Extra Member Data section at the bottom of the page.
  • These fields are searchable/sortable in the Members page, and the profile ones are searchable in the Directory page.
  • If the Answer Required To Join The Group checkbox is checked, whenever someone joins/applies to join your group, they will be required to fill out that field first. This does not apply to people joining by email, direct add, or invites.
  • If the Viewable In A Member's Profile checkbox is checked, that field will be shown in each member's group profile page.
  • If neither of those checkboxes are checked, then that field is invisible to the member and is only accessible by moderators.
  • Moderators can edit these fields by clicking on a member in the Members page.
  • Members can edit profile fields by editing their group profile (Go to Subscription, then click Group Profile, then click Edit Group Profile).
  • Members can view/edit required to join fields that are not also profile fields by going to their Subscription page.
  • I have added two new activity log entries:
    • Edited Extra Data for when a member edits one of these fields
    • Moderator changed extra data for when a moderator edits one of these fields

Some notes:

  • This feature is for premium and enterprise groups.
  • Currently it is enabled only for stand-alone groups and parent groups. I intend to enable it for subgroups as well, but I am still unsure how that should work (and am looking for help from you all to figure it out).
  • Work supporting this in the API is not yet complete.

Questions for you:

  • Currently changes to these fields do not generate notifications. Should they be included in the Account Changes notification? And if so, should other (standard) profile changes also be included in that notification?
  • How should subgroups handle these new fields? I know there was some discussion on the previous topic, but I'm still trying to get my head around a solution that isn't too complicated to understand (and implement).
  • Is the terminology understandable?
  • Anything else I missed.

Work on this touched a lot of the system. I've tested it, but please let me know if you see any bugs.

(Also I'm posting this under a new hashtag, #releasenotes).

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 09:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You can now specify new fields, similar to Database table fields, that are associated with each of your group members
What is the limit on the number of fields that can be defined?

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 3:07 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

What is the limit on the number of fields that can be defined?

As with databases, there is no limit.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 09:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is the terminology understandable?
It would be really helpful to have a 'Visible' button to control of the extra columns on the member list like we can with database columns. Without it, the only way to control which columns are displayed is to go back to the Default Sub Settings and change it there. In that case, I'm not sure having a field option called 'Default Hidden' makes sense. It's either hidden or not as you cannot change it elsewhere.

I see you have just confirmed that there is no limit to the number of columns so that would seem to increase the importance of an option to control the selection of those displayed.

Regards
Andy

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 01:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is the terminology understandable?

Just some language/documentation issues for later:

1. You refer to "profile fields" with no definition. I think by that you mean "fields that are viewable in a member's profile." For clarity, you (or the manual) could call those "profile-viewable fields" rather than "profile fields."

2. The term "fields that are viewable in a member's profile" might be clearer as "fields that are viewable in the member profile" or "fields that are viewable in profiles" because the former sounds too much like "viewable in a particular member's profile."

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 09:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've tested it, but please let me know if you see any bugs.
I added a date and set that for the three moderator accounts on my allmembers group and found that the sort is not correct:

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 2:10 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 09:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've tested it, but please let me know if you see any bugs.
I added a date and set that for the three moderator accounts on my allmembers group and found that the sort is not correct:

I believe this should be fixed now.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 04:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Members can edit profile fields by editing their group profile (Go to Subscription, then click Group Profile, then click Edit Group Profile).
Mark -- This isn't working reliably. When I click on the Group Profile button on my Subscription page, I'm taken to the group home page.

Same thing happens when I click on my own entry in the Directory.

I recently merged two accounts, so that may be a factor.

FYI,
Bruce

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 3:20 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

It would be really helpful to have a 'Visible' button to control of the extra columns on the member list like we can with database columns. Without it, the only way to control which columns are displayed is to go back to the Default Sub Settings and change it there. In that case, I'm not sure having a field option called 'Default Hidden' makes sense. It's either hidden or not as you cannot change it elsewhere.

I've added a Visible button to the Members page when Extra Member Data are displayed. It currently works the same as the Visible button for databases, meaning that every time you move to another page, it resets. I know that's not ... ideal, and will fix it next week.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 12:27 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've added a Visible button to the Members page when Extra Member Data are displayed. It currently works the same as the Visible button for databases, meaning that every time you move to another page, it resets. I know that's not ... ideal, and will fix it next week.
I was going to mention that and then saw this update.

Another issue I found using the mobile site (not the app - I have a separate issue to raise on that) is that the column headings get overwritten when additional fields are displayed and field values are not shown:

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 10:58 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
When I click on the Group Profile button on my Subscription page, I'm taken to the group home page.

Same thing happens when I click on my own entry in the Directory.
Are you still getting this?  I've just tried both and it works OK for me.

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 03:16 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Are you still getting this?
Yes.

I've just tried both and it works OK for me.
Have you merged accounts recently?

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 08:20 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Have you merged accounts recently?
No. And seeing you more recent post about issues after a merge, I'm not inclined to try it out just now.

Regards
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 05:24 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
And seeing you more recent post about issues after a merge, I'm not inclined to try it out just now.
As an example, it's happening to me with my Directory entry in GMF.

I would be interested to know what happens when someone else clicks on it.

Thanks,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 10:05 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
As an example, it's happening to me with my Directory entry in GMF.

I would be interested to know what happens when someone else clicks on it.
It takes me to the GMF homepage.   I also tried Shal's and that works OK.

Regards
Andy

On 2022-08-09 17:05, Bruce Bowman via groups.io wrote:
As an example, it's happening to me with my Directory entry in GMF.

I would be interested to know what happens when someone else clicks on it.

It's happening on beta too.  The link presented here is https://beta.groups.io/g/main/profile/@BruceBowman but it redirects to the home page.

You know I just realized, this (homepage) behavior happens when an "untrapped" situation arises, as in the profile username specified is not there, I just tried the same link but with a spurious username and got the home page also.

Is your profile username set to that?  Maybe the merge process missed it during the process.  Or another possibility, and I don't know if the merge process does the same existing-group-profile-value-preserve behavior as when editing the main profile, but if it does and you already had a different username already set in the account you were merging into, the merge process would have left it alone.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

Andy/Christos -- Thanks for verifying. Clearly, merging has several unintended consequences...or at least some stuff that *I* failed to anticipate.

I could probably fix this piece of it by editing my profile and resaving, but I don't want to destroy the evidence. Will wait for action (if any) from Mark.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Hi All,

The Visible drop up on the Members page as well as on the Database page now remembers which fields are checked when paging.

Cheers,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 05:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

The Visible drop up on the Members page as well as on the Database page now remembers which fields are checked when paging.
I noticed that the Visible button has been removed from the mobile site and app. Is that a temporary measure?

Also, on the desktop site, when I check the entry on the Visible button to display my Mem.# field and then click the column header to sort by it, it gets removed from the display.

Regards
Andy