moderated "Expired topic" or "expired hashtag" deletion dates inconsisten etc. #misc

My group had a monthly reminder type notice deleted this morning because of an "expired hashtag" (activity log entry). But there are two more days left in the month (today and tomorrow). It was hard to do a search on these in the activity log to see what dates they're generally deleted on, because the log entry says "expired hashtag" but there's no such search filter in the dropdown (another minor issue). I found "expired topic" and searched on that, and found that these are being deleted on varying dates - first of the month, 2nd of the month, sometimes the 30th of the month, etc.

I can no longer find the topic itself (it having been deleted) to see what hashtag was on it. Is a duration hashtag automatically put on monthly reminder notices?

Second, could the log entry ("expired hashtag") and search criterion ("expired topic") be made to match? I don't think, unless I'm missing something, that a topic can expire without a duration hashtag having been put on it. So these seem to be one and the same.

And third, what is the algorithm for the deletion date in these cases? In my test group, I have some notice going out (supposedly) monthly and it's in fact going out every 30 days, as far as I can tell, with the result that the dates it goes out are getting lower and lower.

Andy

J, I don't know if I have misunderstood what you're saying, but I do not see an option to make a Hashtag expiration correspond to calendar months.  The option I see is for Topic Duration, with choices of One Day, One Week, One Month, Three Months, Six Months, One Year, and Forever.  If that was the thing that deleted the message, then my guess is that the message was sent one month before today (or maybe yesterday).  The fact that it happens to be near the end of March probably was irrelevant.

But maybe you're talking about something else, and I misunderstood.

In my group's Activity log, the entry shows most of the topic name, but not the hashtag, which is unfortunate.  IMO, that ought to be fixed.

Do you not have your group's messages in your Gmail account?  When in doubt about something, I check the email I received.

I don't understand the question about "monthly reminder notices".  Do you want reminders send to you that a topic was deleted?  AFAIK, I don't receive any notices in my email about any message that was deleted, for any reason.

I would guess that the algorithm for monthly expirations, is either on the same day of the month that it was sent, or 30 days after the day it was sent.  But that's only a guess, because "months" are somewhat nebulous in our world.  :-)

Andy

Andy,

The message (topic) in question was a Member Notice, of type Monthly Reminder. I can't see it any more because it expired and was deleted by the system. I don't know whether the system automatically puts a hashtag on these notices, and if so, which kind (seems like 30-day, from what I'm seeing, which would be incorrect if there's also a "monthly" option). It seems that maybe the message is correctly sent on the first of every month (I haven't noticed any anomalies there) but is incorrectly deleted/expires on tjhe 30-day schedule. As I said, I'm in the dark on this because I can no longer see it.

And yes, there's also the issue of inconsistent wording.

Good idea to check my email inbox, but most likely I deleted it. I'll do that later. Thanks.

Andy

J, do you have any other of those Member Notices?  Maybe in your Gmail?  Or other ones that have not expired yet?

The automatically-sent Monthly Reminder might come with a hashtag already attached to it, just like file-upload and photo-upload messages do.  Whether the hashtag for the Monthly Reminder already had a "Topic Duration" set, I can't say, but an experiment should reveal that.  The hashtags for file- and photo-uploads do not, so I had to add them myself in my group.  But it would make sense that a Monthly Reminder hashtag might come with a One Month topic duration.

I thought you said that monthly notices were going out on a 30-day schedule rather than on the first of the month, so now I'm confused because you seem to contradict yourself.

If I understand it correctly, hashtag-initiated message expirations are not on a schedule.  The message (really topic) duration is set to one month.  Whether "one month" means "on the same date next month" or "30 days from now", I can't answer that.  But I think I can say with some confidence that groups.io does not have a procedure that runs at the end of every month that deletes all messages that have hashtags with "One Month" durations.

Andy

Duane

Yes, a hashtag is added for those.  See https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-member-notices/monthly-reminder-notice

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 11:44 AM, Andy wrote:
The option I see is for Topic Duration, with choices of One Day, One Week, One Month, Three Months, Six Months, One Year, and Forever.
There is no duration option for Monthly Reminder.

Duane

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 10:10 AM, Duane wrote:
There is no duration option for Monthly Reminder.
Ok, then that's the problem. It's only a minor problem. More of a curiosity. :-)
Thanks for filling us in.

Hi All,

The `Expired Topic` activity log entry has been renamed `Expired Hashtag`. Also, all new entries of that type will include the name of the hashtag that expired.

In terms of monthly expiration, we don't calculate that based on a set number of days, but instead use the day of the month. So, if a topic is posted with a tag that expires in a month on February 3rd, it will expire on March 3rd.

Hope this helps.
Mark