Topics

moderated Enhancing the usefulness of the member download #suggestion


Rick N
 

The member download feature could be enhanced by a few simple changes:

  1. If a custom sort order is displayed by clicking on a column header, then the members are downloaded in that same order.
  2. If a search term returns a limited number of members, then only those members will be downloaded.

Rick


Duane
 

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
The member download feature could be enhanced by a few simple changes:

  1. If a custom sort order is displayed by clicking on a column header, then the members are downloaded in that same order.
  2. If a search term returns a limited number of members, then only those members will be downloaded.
I don't understand the need for either of these.  Once you've downloaded the csv file, you can do what you want with it - sort, edit, etc. That's the whole reason for having the member download (I think.)

Duane


Rick N
 

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:04 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
The member download feature could be enhanced by a few simple changes:

  1. If a custom sort order is displayed by clicking on a column header, then the members are downloaded in that same order.
  2. If a search term returns a limited number of members, then only those members will be downloaded.
I don't understand the need for either of these.  Once you've downloaded the csv file, you can do what you want with it - sort, edit, etc. That's the whole reason for having the member download (I think.)

Duane

While they don't add abilities that simply don't exist, they extend what you can do only the web site without additional tools or effort with the data.  If I'm interested in who joined the group less than six months ago, it would be helpful that I didn't have to stop to sort or filter the data after I've downloaded it before I have the results I was seeking in the first place.  Less of an issue with under 500 members. More of an issue when you have more than 5,000 members.

Yahoo didn't place a 1,000 member limit to membership list downloads because they wanted to make it more user-friendly. It was more a compromise between eliminating it entirely and weathering the howls of outrage from group owners.

Rick


Simon Hedges
 

Hi,

 

Rick wrote:

>> 

While they don't add abilities that simply don't exist, they extend what you can do only the web site without additional tools or effort with the data.  If I'm interested in who joined the group less than six months ago, it would be helpful that I didn't have to stop to sort or filter the data after I've downloaded it before I have the results I was seeking in the first place. 

<< 

 

Yes.  No-one likes to do something twice – it’s just confusing, and means you need to work out how to sort/filter in some other tool (e.g. Excel) as well as groups.io.  This is a “nice to have” improvement rather than a desperately needed one, but it’s not a daft thing to ask for.  Lots of improvements to IT systems are about making usability improvements for which workarounds already exist, as in this case.

 

Simon

 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Nakroshis
Sent: Sunday, January 5, 2020 2:46 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Enhancing the usefulness of the member download #featurerequest

 

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 12:04 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 10:50 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:

The member download feature could be enhanced by a few simple changes:

  1. If a custom sort order is displayed by clicking on a column header, then the members are downloaded in that same order.
  2. If a search term returns a limited number of members, then only those members will be downloaded.

I don't understand the need for either of these.  Once you've downloaded the csv file, you can do what you want with it - sort, edit, etc. That's the whole reason for having the member download (I think.)

Duane

 

While they don't add abilities that simply don't exist, they extend what you can do only the web site without additional tools or effort with the data.  If I'm interested in who joined the group less than six months ago, it would be helpful that I didn't have to stop to sort or filter the data after I've downloaded it before I have the results I was seeking in the first place.  Less of an issue with under 500 members. More of an issue when you have more than 5,000 members.

 

Yahoo didn't place a 1,000 member limit to membership list downloads because they wanted to make it more user-friendly. It was more a compromise between eliminating it entirely and weathering the howls of outrage from group owners.

 

Rick


Bob Bellizzi
 

There's OpenSource, Excel, Google Sheets and probabley  half a dozen other simple to use tools to do the job. Or, improve your mind and learn just enough coding to build a program to do it yourself.
If Mark installed all possibly needed "tools" (that are already readily available offline). It would be a maintenance nightmare for him plus it would require more online memory space/cost.

--

Bob Bellizzi


 

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 02:29 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
improve your mind and learn just enough coding to build a program to do it yourself.
(a) How do you know the OP doesn't already know how to "code," besides which (b) "Improving one's mind" to "learn coding" may be an oxymoron, (c) why poo-poo a single, possibly somewhat redundant enhancement (and I disagree that it is redundant) on the grounds that if Mark implemented "all possibly needed tools" he'd have a maintenance nightmare? Because (d) this is not about "all possibly needed tools" and anyway, (e) for all we know Mark may already have a maintenance nightmare on his hands. It's for him alone to decide whether he wants to make it worse. :) 
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Simon Hedges wrote:
No-one likes to do something twice – it’s just confusing
The way I see it, the member list can be downloaded at any time.  Once I've got it, I can do what I need to, then decide if I'll be doing repetitive things, say sorts, and can create macros to do them automatically.  This way all I need is a new download instead of needing to do the 'work' online every time.  I see no problem if Mark decides to do it, but I don't think I can hold my breath that long.

Duane


 

Right abouf not holding the breath.


On Jan 5, 2020, at 5:21 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Simon Hedges wrote:
No-one likes to do something twice – it’s just confusing
The way I see it, the member list can be downloaded at any time.  Once I've got it, I can do what I need to, then decide if I'll be doing repetitive things, say sorts, and can create macros to do them automatically.  This way all I need is a new download instead of needing to do the 'work' online every time.  I see no problem if Mark decides to do it, but I don't think I can hold my breath that long.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu