Topics

moderated Email Logging Omission #bug

Chris Jones

Mark; in Site Updates of May 9th you announced that you had rectified a bug in the recording of resent confirmation emails. I think I have found another missed logging action.

If a moderator rejects a message for some reason then the fact of that rejection is recorded in the Activity log. However, if the moderator making the rejection checks the cc All Moderators box then the copies of that rejection sent to group moderators are not recorded as emails sent to the moderators, and IMHO they ought to be if only to be consistent with the confirmation emails recording above.

What brought this to light is that fact that once again I am not getting copies of rejection notifications while the other 2 mods of the group I moderate do. My first port of call was my ISP's spam box (empty!) and the second was the email delivery histories of all 3 of us, where as mentioned above there was no record of the rejection. A check with the other 2 revealed that they had received the notification.

Could you please have a look at this so that records of rejection notification emails are included in Email Delivery Histories?

Chris

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 03:15 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
there was no record of the rejection. A check with the other 2 revealed that they had received the notification.
But the email delivery history [sic] contains only the last message received. Right? Isn't it possible other messages were received after the rejection notification? That's actually something that drives me nuts. I wish the email delivery histories contained more "history" and not just the last email received.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 11:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
But the email delivery history [sic] contains only the last message received. Right? Isn't it possible other messages were received after the rejection notification?
Knowing (or at least strongly suspecting) that there was some sort of problem I checked my own and other moderators' delivery histories less than a couple of minutes after I ought to have received my own copy of the rejection notification. Of course there ws nothing logged.

I agree that the very limited snapshot of email deliveries (other than recent bounces) can be a bit frustrating but being able to carry out an immediate check was useful. What took rather longer was being able to verify that other moderators had received their copies... several hours in fact.

FWIW ISTR that there is a similar gap in the delivery logging if a moderator sends an email to a member from the web UI; the message is logged for the member but not for the copy addressees. There is not a problem if all the copies are correctly delivered but if one isn't then questions arise...

Chris

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 09:15 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
FWIW ISTR that there is a similar gap in the delivery logging if a moderator sends an email to a member from the web UI; the message is logged for the member but not for the copy addressees.
I'll retract that, but the overall situation remains somewhat confusing. I have carried out a number of tests with the following results:

A Rejected Message notification is recorded in the Activity log, but does not appear in the Email Delivery History of either the person whose message was rejected or the moderators to whom it was copied.

A Message to Member is not recorded in the Activity log but does appear in the Email Delivery History of the member concerned and those of the moderators to whom a copy is sent.

Mark; is there a reason for the different logging methods? While admitting that the time window for any investigation can be limited by only the most recent message to someone being visible, on the face of it it is a bit perverse that the different types of message are logged differently.

Is the support address still only handling queries from paid groups or has it been broadened? Obviously my problem with copies of rejection messages not being sent to me is hardly one for beta; having said that while rejection copies don't appear, copies of Messages to Members do.

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice...

Chris