Topics

moderated Email alias setup suggestion

Bill Burns

To add an email alias you have to click on the link on the account page "Advanced Settings For Email Aliases". This opens a dropdown section on the current page.

If you now add an alias, and that email address is already registered at groups.io, there should be an error message visible. However, when you enter such an address and click on "Add email Alias", the alias section closes without showing the message. Unless you again click on the "Advanced Settings..." link, you will never know that adding the alias failed.

The alias section should stay open and either confirm a successful add or show the error message.

--
Bill

Good idea, but for privacy reasons I’d make the error message not give the reason for the failure.

On Nov 24, 2018, at 4:30 PM, Bill Burns <ftldny@...> wrote:

To add an email alias you have to click on the link on the account page "Advanced Settings For Email Aliases". This opens a dropdown section on the current page.

If you now add an alias, and that email address is already registered at groups.io, there should be an error message visible. However, when you enter such an address and click on "Add email Alias", the alias section closes without showing the message. Unless you again click on the "Advanced Settings..." link, you will never know that adding the alias failed.

The alias section should stay open and either confirm a successful add or show the error message.

--
Bill

Charlie McB

Agreed.  As suggested previously: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/18932

Bill Burns

On 11/24/2018 10:52 PM, Charlie McB wrote:
Agreed.  As suggested previously:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/18932
Thanks, Charlie; I missed that one when I was checking for a fix.
Hopefully Mark will take a look at it.

--
Bill

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bill Burns <ftldny@...> wrote:

The alias section should stay open and either confirm a successful add
or show the error message.

I've changed it so that the section stays open on error now. When an alias is successfully added, we already displayed a message.

Bill Burns

On 11/26/2018 4:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 4:30 PM Bill Burns <ftldny@... <mailto:ftldny@...>> wrote:
The alias section should stay open and either confirm a successful add
or show the error message.
I've changed it so that the section stays open on error now. When an alias is successfully added, we already displayed a message.
Thanks, Mark; confirmed that this is working for me.

--
Bill