Topics

Email Address change #suggestion

Duane

As much as I dislike verification procedures, it might be worthwhile to have a second step to verify an email address that is entered when changing it.  On GMF, we've had at least 3 people make a typo in the new address, but proceed anyway (probably with an OhNoSecond delay ;>).  Two of them have been able to recover by using the typo address and their original password to get back in to change it to the correct address.

Christos G. Psarras

I agree, maybe put up some confirmation notice when the email address field has been changed and Save gets clicked, a last chance before committing.

Cheers,
Christos

Chris Jones

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 09:11 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
I agree, maybe put up some confirmation notice
Or (as an alternative) have a second "confirm new email address" box so that unless a typo is repeated in the second box the request is rejected. After all, this is a common enough method used widely to minimise the risks arising from people mistyping their address.

Chris

Sandi D

Maybe send a confirmation link to the new address, that they need to click on before before it is changed.  I get irritated with two the field thing. I use software that auto fills my correct email. If typing is enforced, I tend to make a mistake. Sometimes the second field will not permit the software to autofill. That said, a second field would catch a number of people typing it incorrectly into one.
By sending a confirmation change link to the new email address, if the wrong email was entered, then no change would be made. If they verified with a link that required them to log in then the changed email would stand.

I do very much the suggestion to put up some confirmation notice before the changed email is committed.
--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM, Sandi D wrote:
Maybe send a confirmation link to the new address, that they need to click on before before it is changed.
This is also an attractive suggestion, not least because it is consistent in concept to an applicant's need to respond to a Confirmation Message and possibly a Pending Subscription Message. It is also not hugely different to the "email me a log - in link".

Certainly worth considering.

Chris

Hi All,

I just added a confirmation dialog when changing your email address. It displays the new email address and requires that you click the Ok button to proceed. Please check it out and if you think an additional step is needed after that, please let me know.