Topics

locked Edits, deletions, moderation, oh my!

Hi All,

I'm neck deep in working through some of the things we've talked about, and I want to verify that I'm going in the right direction. Plus, I have questions!

First phase:
- We will keep all edits to archived messages, and they can be viewed/compared, just like wiki pages.
- Deleted messages won't just disappear, they'll instead be replaced with 'This message has been deleted'.
- If a user (or group) is moderated, approval will be needed by the moderators before an edit or deletion happens.

Second phase:
- If a user (or group) is moderated, any calendar, files or wiki action will also require approval (assuming the person has the authority to do those actions in the first place). Basically, this changes the definition of moderated from just posting messages, to any action in the group.

Questions:
- Does this make sense?
- And do you want the second phase? I'm happy to do it, but it'll be a bunch of work.

And for the hard questions, about subjects and threads and hashtags. Right now, you can't edit the subject of an individual message, you can only edit the subject of the thread. It's not clear to me what should happen if we let people edit individual message subjects. For example, if you change the subject of a message in the middle of a thread, should that split the thread into two different threads in the archives? And should a 'normal' user be allowed to do that? Should editing subjects just be for moderators?

Hashtags are applied to threads, not messages. Should only the person who started the thread be able to edit them, or anyone that participated in that thread? Or only moderators?

I apologize, this is all probably pretty confusing.

Thanks for all feedback,
Mark

Judy F.

Hi Mark, I don’t comment a lot so hopefully this will make sense.

Regarding your question

And for the hard questions, about subjects and threads and hashtags. Right now, you can't edit the subject of an individual message, you can only edit the subject of the thread. It's not clear to me what should happen if we let people edit individual message subjects. For example, if you change the subject of a message in the middle of a thread, should that split the thread into two different threads in the archives? And should a 'normal' user be allowed to do that? Should editing subjects just be for moderators?

I can only speak for my various embroidery/sewing/quilting groups.  There are a lot of times when a member will take an existing message and want to ask a question or comment on something other than what that particular message was about.  So they will change the subject and clear the text and write their message.

Since most groups moderate all messages, I think not only should this revised message need approval, but it should definitely start a new thread.  That’s the purpose of changing the subject.

Again, these are my thoughts for the type groups I own/moderate and participate in.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

[...]

Hi Judy,

Yes, that's the way it works now. If you reply to a message and change the subject, that creates a new thread.

I was asking about the scenario where a person goes to the groups.io site and edits their own message which was already sent to the group, not posting a new message.

Thanks!
Mark

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention. If someone edits their own message (and the edit is approved if needed), the edited message will get resent to the group members.

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Linda

Hi Mark, How about if the moderator decides if a copy is sent to the group?  Linda

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 1:40 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: Edits, deletions, moderation, oh my!

[...]

Summary of feedback I've gotten privately so far:

- Phase Two, having other actions be moderation-able (I just made that word up), does not seem like a popular idea
- Message subjects shouldn't be editable
- People should be able to delete their own posts regardless (deletion should not be subject to moderator approval)
- Hashtags should be editable only by the person that started the thread (and moderators)

Thanks, and please keep the feedback coming,

Mark

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

"Right now, you can't edit the subject of an individual message, you can only edit the subject of the thread. It's not clear to me what should happen if we let people edit individual message subjects. For example, if you change the subject of a message in the middle of a thread, should that split the thread into two different threads in the archives?" - I don't think that editing the subject line for individual messages within the archive should be allowed since many of the further replies might be replies to the original message. It simply creates too many complications. I'd probably prefer to restrict editing the thread title to moderators or the original creator of the thread.

"If a user (or group) is moderated, any calendar, files or wiki action will also require approval (assuming the person has the authority to do those actions in the first place). Basically, this changes the definition of moderated from just posting messages, to any action in the group" - I don't want to have to moderate everything. I moderate posts because posts send out emails and I don't want my members to be exposed to emails that aren't up to scratch. If someone posts something stupid to the wiki then I can always undo it after, but you can't undo the sending of an email.

Mark,

- If a user (or group) is moderated, approval will be needed by the
moderators before an edit or deletion happens.
I concur that a member should always have the ability to delete his/her own messages, even if edits or postings by that member are moderated.

- If a user (or group) is moderated, any calendar, files or wiki action
will also require approval (assuming the person has the authority to do
those actions in the first place). Basically, this changes the
definition of moderated from just posting messages, to any action in the
group.
That should probably be separate controls for the separate areas. I can well imagine a group wanting to have moderated messages and events, but not files or wiki pages. Or some other combination.

- And do you want the second phase? I'm happy to do it, but it'll be a
bunch of work.
I definitely want the ability to moderate the posting of events, as their reminders generate emails to the members. I don't think the wiki needs it, I'm less certain about Files.

And for the hard questions, about subjects and threads and hashtags.
Right now, you can't edit the subject of an individual message, you can
only edit the subject of the thread. It's not clear to me what should
happen if we let people edit individual message subjects. For example,
if you change the subject of a message in the middle of a thread, should
that split the thread into two different threads in the archives?
I'd look at this the other way around: the moderators/owners who want to keep their archives organized would want to have a method to move messages to a new or different topic. In that world-view the editing of the subject text for the topic is a secondary consideration.

The UI for this probably should take into account separately the Subject match and the header fields (In-Reply-To, References) of the message(s) in question, allowing the moderator to choose one or the other for the purposes of re-joining a message that was erroneously made a new topic due to the default "AND" processing. That probably being one of the most common use cases.

But it should also have an ability to make a message (and those that reply to it) a new topic, or to connect it (them) to an arbitrary topic.

And should a 'normal' user be allowed to do that? Should editing
subjects just be for moderators?
I think changing the topic structure should be a moderator-only capability. If members are allowed to edit the subject (and I don't see a reason that they shouldn't, subject to the same rules as editing the body), that edit should not affect the topic structure.

-- Shal

Hi All,

I had hoped to have the first version of this completed by today, but I ended up having to make a lot of changes to the code and it's not quite ready yet. For this version:

- Members can edit their messages, and if they are moderated (or the group is moderated), their changes will have to be approved by the moderator.
- Members can delete their messages without approval needed. Deleted messages are replaced with 'This message has been deleted'.
- Moderators with the correct privileges can do all of this as well.
- Edits to messages are kept and are viewable/diffable, just like wiki pages.

One question for you all. Right now there is no way to make a message completely disappear. If a message is deleted, it's replaced with 'This message has been deleted.'. Should I allow moderators to completely nuke a message so that it's like it never happened?

Linda

Hi Mark,  Neat freaks (moi) would prefer for the deleted message to be gone.  No need for: 'This message has been deleted.'  Thanks, Linda

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Edits, deletions, moderation, oh my!

[...]

Hmm, ok. So should I just get rid of the 'This message has been deleted' and any message deletion action (from the member or from the moderator) results in the message completely disappearing?

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 5:54 PM

[...]

Frances

Hi

And I, on the other hand, am not worried about the message. This would probably not happen very often.

If a message is deleted, are the members notified?
A scenario: a message is deleted, and nothing goes to the group members, no message is put in the website showing a message was deleted. Now someone wants to follow up on that message from so-and-so, so they go to the website to find it. If there was a message about deletion, their search would be over. Having a bit of a trail is not such a bad thing!

Frances

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 5:54 PM

[...]

Thanks Mark for all you are doing on this.

Regarding deleting messages, I think owners/moderators should be able to delete messages.  In the buying/selling group that I work with, the ads are kept for several years and then need to be deleted.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

[...]

I agree with your proposal of doing away with the message period, no ‘this message has been deleted’.  It just takes up space and if we delete it, to me, that means it’s gone.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 5:54 PM

[...]

In Yahoo Groups a deleted message leaves behind a gap in the message number sequence. The permalink becomes a page that says "The item you are looking for is not available" but otherwise has the normal chrome of the group's Conversations section.

I think that's appropriate. Can't erase the gap without messing up all subsequent permalinks, and it doesn't seem like a good idea to have it resolve to a generic 404 error. But it should disappear from the messages lists, without a way to navigate to it other than through the permalink.

I've read occasional complaints that the conversation search would still turn up a match on the deleted message and display an excerpt of its content in the search results list. That upsets people quite a bit.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Mark,

Not sure if I'm replying correctly, but I have a question:

If I want the group to be moderated (i.e. members can join, but are moderated until they make their first post, how do I set it up? I think I've set ours up wrong.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Brenda,

If I want the group to be moderated (i.e. members can join, but are
moderated until they make their first post, how do I set it up? I think
I've set ours up wrong.
In the Settings page check the "New Users Moderated" box.

Just as in Yahoo Groups, you have to take the Moderated override off the member manually.

-- Shal

Mark,

Hmm, ok. So should I just get rid of the 'This message has been deleted'
and any message deletion action (from the member or from the moderator)
results in the message completely disappearing?
On the other hand, what about "undelete"? Is that a feature anyone wants? To have the feature there must be a way to find a placeholder for the message.

I ask because sometimes moderators would ask about undeleting messages mistakenly (or maliciously) deleted by another moderator. The typical scenario is a novice moderator who mistakes the Messages list for a kind of personal inbox and deletes messages as he/she reads them.

Groups.io is already in better condition than Yahoo Groups in that regard, having labeled the message archives "Archives". That helps imply that it is a group resource not a personal one, making the mistake less likely.

If there were to be an undelete capability, I would propose that when a member deletes their own message then either only that member can undelete it or no one can - not any moderator or owner in either case. That is necessary, I think, to preserve the promise that the member has the right to remove their content. Conversely if a moderator deletes a message only a moderator (not the posting member) can undelete it. This is necessary to preserve the right of the group management to control the content of the group.

On the other, other hand, if undelete is only available to moderators (when reversing another moderator's deletion) then the Activity log entry for the deletion event would be an appropriate place for an "Undo" button.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Shal, I like that idea. One vote from me.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

[...]

Hi Mark

I am still learning my way around groups.io. I hope this is the right place to chime in.

Regarding deleted items - in a group here, we would not want members editing or deleting their own posts and would not even want it if proposed edits and deletes had to go to moderators for approval first. We would like to be able to set an option which prevents members from doing those things.

Regarding approvals for actions, Since all our members are on moderation, but we do require them to upload certain charts to a particular folder, we would like to allow them to do that without having to approve every upload. Same for photos - we would want them to be able to upload photos.

We would like all posts to go to a Pending area as they do on Yahoo, and to be able to approve, edit or reject the messages (reject with or without an explanation). Editing does not mean changing their sentences it means removing older posts from the message, or signing their names for them or other housekeeping details. Occasionally we write to the member to ask if they would make a change and repost or let us do it and then approve the message.

We would like all Files to be in alphabetical order, and since we are in the U..S. we want dates to be written Month, Day, Year - and not European style.

We would like the site to work with Windows and Mac Chrome, Windows and Mac Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari

I would prefer to see the word "Archives" on the left changed to "Message Board." To me, archives implies old stuff ("the dusty archives of the library"), not curent messages. I think a lot of people would think the same thing. When I first saw archives I assumed it was stored files and I kept hunting for something like "Message Board" until I gave up and concluded that groups.io only operated by email. (I wrote to you about that from a help page, asking if it was email only).  Later out of curiosity I clicked archives expecting to see some kind of storage page, and found a message board instead. I did see the word Files later. Another idea - consider renaming the Files to "Library."

I am unable to find a place to change email preferences. I am getting all emails as the messages post, which is fine with me, but all are coming in plain text and links are unclickable. I am using Windows Mail on Windows 7. Most messages from other sources come to me in HTML with clickable links. These seem to be coming in plain text. I am hoping there's an option for html emails.

I would like to see an option to read messages threaded or flat (as they come in, chronologically). There are good uses for both, and sometimes you want one, and sometimes the other.

Searching: Should be able to search using any word you choose. Hashtags don't matter in that case. If you meant people should only be able to search for tags, I have always found that extremely frustrating. My idea of what the tag should be may be very different from the poster's idea.

Thank you for considering these comments.

Susan B