moderated Editing Photos has less capability than editing Files #bug

Andy

When editing an uploaded File, we can edit both the File Name and/or the Description.

When editing an uploaded Photo, the only things we can edit are the Owner, or Rotate Left, or Rotate Right.

When editing a photo Album, the only thing we can edit is the Owner.

Why is that?  Why can't we add or modify a Description, or change the Name?

(And speaking of which, why can we change the Owner of Photos but not of Files?)

Andy

Duane

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 08:36 AM, Andy wrote:
When editing an uploaded Photo, the only things we can edit are the Owner, or Rotate Left, or Rotate Right.

When editing a photo Album, the only thing we can edit is the Owner.
Hmm, I can change Owner, Name, and Description on a photo.  Owner, Title, and Description on an album.  Seems like you may not have permission as a moderator or aren't logged in as group owner.

Duane

Andy

I am logged in and have full permissions.  Where are the other choices?

Andy

No, wait -- I see the problem now.

Apparently, it waits while loading the full list of members into the drop-down menu, before showing the Name and Description edit boxes.  I'm using Google Chrome.  I kept trying other photos, and none of them seemed to allow me to change the photo name or add a description.  I didn't wait long enough.  I had to wait another 20-30 seconds for the memberlist to load.  Nevermind!

Still wondering, though, why we can change the Owner of a Photo, but not the Owner of a File.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Andy wrote:
Apparently, it waits while loading the full list of members into the drop-down menu, before showing the Name and Description edit boxes.  I'm using Google Chrome. <snip>  I didn't wait long enough.  I had to wait another 20-30 seconds for the memberlist to load.
To me this prompts the question what device are you using and how is it connected to the internet? Also perhaps how long is your member list?

I tried the sequence you did, but everything happens so fast that by the time I scroll down to the Edit tab the list is downloaded (1800+ members) and everything is ready to go.

For the record I am using Win10 + FF 92.0.1 on a desktop, connected to the router by Ethernet cable and with a download speed (just tested before starting to type!) of 73 Mb/s.

Chris

Andy

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 10:46 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
To me this prompts the question what device are you using and how is it connected to the internet? Also perhaps how long is your member list?

I am using a laptop with Windows with a wireless connection to a router 10 feet away.  I often get throughput speeds (not connection speeds, but movement of actual data) of 60-140 Mb/s, as much as 200 Mb/s on a good day.

It is quite a long member list.

It's pretty much useless to try to choose someone from the member list.  Even if I could master the timing between mouse clicks and response of the popup menu (30 seconds later), the list is not in any apparent order.  They are definitely not alphabetical.  Searching through thousands of members in an unsorted list is, um, pointless.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 04:02 PM, Andy wrote:
Even if I could master the timing between mouse clicks and response of the popup menu (30 seconds later),
Odd; when I try the response is as near instantaneous as it can be. IMHO your 30 second delay requires further investigation.

the list is not in any apparent order.  They are definitely not alphabetical.
No they aren't, and I am not sure what the display order actually is.

  Searching through thousands of members in an unsorted list is, um, pointless.

Yes it would be, but... if you know the first letter of the wanted member's Display Name operating that key repeatedly will scroll through all those with that as the initial letter of their Display Name, ignoring all those with a different initial letter.

Still a bit tedious, but better than having to go through the entire list.

Some care is required; AFAIK there is no "back" function so if you overshoot the person you are looking for you have to start all over again. (There is no need to ask me how I know this...)

Chris

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 11:16 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
if you know the first letter of the wanted member's Display Name operating that key repeatedly will scroll through all those with that as the initial letter of their Display Name, ignoring all those with a different initial letter.

Still a bit tedious, but better than having to go through the entire list.
You're right, better than nothing!  But what would really make things easy/quick in that dropdown (and also the same dropdown in Files) is if it allowed slower typing of a partial or full name/address value with the subsequent matching as you type, and/or an outright Ctrl-V paste and match.

I mean, it kind of already "supports" both in a sense, as if one let's say is looking for username Peter (and for the sake of argument assume the group has only one), if they type that ultra-ultra-fast, it will find it right away.  But it took me 5 tries to be able to type it fast enough so it matched right away, all it took was to either make a mistake or be too slow and it would now jump and match on the mistaken or slow-typed letter, so unless if all users have few-letter usernames and you are a ultra-fast typist, forget trying to quickly match on username, let alone email address...

I don't know how much work it would require to make it match to the whole typed value as it gets typed, but I think just adding support for Ctrl-V pasting of a value after the dropdown has been opened should be easy and quick and it would make assigning the Owner instantaneous pretty-much since when we mods assign/change owner we already know who it's going to be assigned to so we can have the pertinent value (username or emaill addy) already copied.

I just posted this as a suggestion in a new topic.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM, Duane wrote:
The easiest way is to use your browser's Find function.  In Firefox that's Ctrl-F, then type in part/all of the name or email address.
By default, the newest members are listed first, but you can always click on a column header to re-sort.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

There are no column headers to click on.  There is only the one column, and no header.  It seems to be showing a mixture of email addresses for some, and names for others.  I guess maybe it shows the Display Name if it exists, or the address if not.

Using my browser's Find function does not help.  The moment I press ctrl-F, the pop-up window with names disappears, as I expected it would.  Using Find while the pop-up window is hidden does not work, as expected.

Now mind you, I did not really want to change a Photo's Owner.  I just noted that it is what delays the Name and Description edit boxes from appearing -- also, that you can't change a File's Owner.  I hardly ever thought about changing a Photo's Owner or a File's Owner before, but I could see why someone might want to do that, to have more complete control over Files or Photos once they've been uploaded.

Andy

Andy

Trying to change a Photo's Owner (in my group) is completely useless today.  If I click on the choice for Owner, Google Chrome times out several seconds later and shows a pop-up window that reads:

Page Unresponsive
You can wait for it to become responsive or exit the page.
Wait    Exit page

It always takes longer than that (>20 sec), so I never reach the display of member names.  If I click "Wait", or just wait for it to become responsive, the pop-up window with names appears briefly and immediately disappears.

I wanted to try the suggestion to start typing a member's name.  That's not going to happen.  I may have to wait until late tonight when people have gone to bed.

Andy