Topics

locked Edited messages #changelog

I just pushed out a bunch of changes for editing messages. If the group or user is moderated, the edit will need to be approved, just like a pending message. When editing a message, you can add a note indicating why you're doing the edit, and you can view different revisions of a message, just like a wiki page. Also, when a message is edited (and approved if needed), it is sent out to the group again. Finally, when editing a thread, you can edit the hashtags that are applied to the thread, by editing the subject line and adding/removing hashtags there (I'll eventually make this nicer, but it works for now). A couple bugs around manipulating messages have also been squashed.

To accomplish all this, I had to make some rather large changes to the code base (it was a couple weeks worth of work). I generally like to do things in small chunks, because any bugs are generally quickly found and of small importance. But I couldn't do that in this case. So, while I have tested the code a lot, I'm a little more nervous than normal.

As usual, please let me know if you see any issues.

Frances

Mark, I was able to change the message. I was unable to change the subject line or add a hashtag.
The revised message was sent properly.

My group is unmoderated. Will test later with a moderated group.

Frances

On Jan 13 15, at 6:27 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark,

I changed my group temporarily to require moderation and then sent and replied from my non-moderator account.
It all works nicely - got the updated post after the edits.

And I could add hashtags - I had forgotten that I had to go to Thread View then select Edit Thread on the far right. (I tested from the moderator / owner profile.)
However, I didn’t get an updated message. I don’t think I was supposed to.

Frances

On Jan 13 15, at 7:02 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for testing it!

Mark

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark,
Our small group of mods would be way overtaxed with this. Have you thought about my suggestion to have this feature of being able to edit or delete turned off by the owner? I hope?

Susan B

[...]

Hi Susan,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Susan B <doggiesmail@...> wrote:
Mark,
Our small group of mods would be way overtaxed with this. Have you thought about my suggestion to have this feature of being able to edit or delete turned off by the owner? I hope?

I generally believe that a user should be able to delete their own messages if they desire. I also believe this is how Yahoo Groups currently works (please correct me if I'm wrong). Y! Groups does not have editing, and I can see how that could be abused, which is one of the reasons why I made it a priority to put in the system to track changes to messages.

Have you had people abuse this feature? My general bias is to try to not add too many feature toggles, to overly complicate the service. But if there's a good reason, of course I'll consider it.