Topics

locked Edit time out for posts

Frances

Just edited my previous post rather than posting a followup. Just realized it was 10 or 15 minutes ago that I wrote the first "draft" and sent it.

At what point does it go out to members? At what time? Or do they get another copy with the edits in it?

Just wondering for future reference.

Frances,

You edited an already sent/archived post? Currently, when you edit it, it does not get re-sent to members.. I realize how important that feature is, and once I finish the wiki (early next week), that's the next thing on the todo list.

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

Just edited my previous post rather than posting a followup. Just realized it was 10 or 15 minutes ago that I wrote the first "draft" and sent it.

At what point does it go out to members? At what time? Or do they get another copy with the edits in it?

Just wondering for future reference.

Frances

In my post of wikis, I added this:

I just looked at the info you gave for files, Mark. What format “files” need to be in? Can they be files with HTML so that there are clickable links?

David P. Dillard

If I am reading this correctly and posts on IO may be edited, this is a revolutionary and important development. I have stopped linking to posts as much as they are carved in stone. If a post is shared on a pubically archived list and one links to this post, when the content such as lists of website links becomes invalidated by the presence of several dead links, one must repost the whole message and relink to the new content.
Now in IO it would seem one can just go into the post and change or delete the links. This is truely wonderful and will help me greatly.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Frances,
You edited an already sent/archived post? Currently, when you edit it, it does not get re-sent to members.. I realize how
important that feature is, and once I finish the wiki (early next week), that's the next thing on the todo list.
On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

Just edited my previous post rather than posting a followup. Just realized it was 10 or 15 minutes ago that I wrote
the first "draft" and sent it.

At what point does it go out to members? At what time? Or do they get another copy with the edits in it?

Just wondering for future reference.

Frances

Interesting point, David..

If we use a hashtag in our forum for posts with our recommended travel sites, I could at any point check the links in these hastagged posts and update the links in them as necessary.

If there are concerns about editing at a much later date, "late" edits could be restricted to the owner or moderator.

At this point, I forget all about the rules of hashtags in Groups.io, but I believe that the list owner or moderator must create the hashtags. Can some be locked so only the owner or moderator can use them? Perhaps this overlaps with an earlier discussion of private hashtags.

David,

If I am reading this correctly and posts on IO may be edited, this is a
revolutionary and important development. I have stopped linking to
posts as much as they are carved in stone.
I have the opposite reaction: I don't like the fact that posts can be edited. An archive that can be edited isn't an archive, it is a chalkboard.

In a technical help group editing may be as much advantage as disadvantage, but in discussion groups I see too much potential for mischief, unless the message posts have wiki-like features for knowing who edited them and what changes were made.

Now in IO it would seem one can just go into the post and change or
delete the links. This is truely wonderful and will help me greatly.
In my own opinion that's what a wiki is for.

-- Shal

Linda

Hi Frances,
In group Settings, there are two items pertaining to hashtags:

Hashtags Required

All posts are required to have at least one hashtag.

Only Moderators Can Create Hashtags

If true, posts must be tagged with existing hashtags.

FYI, in 1A-Travelzine I have left both unchecked.

Linda

Judy F.

I totally agree with Shal. I am a machine embroiderer and sewer and belong
to quite a lot groups pertaining to those subjects. I can see that causing
problems big time. We've had enough problems with Neo, let's try to keep
this as easy and clean as possible for the owners and moderators.

Thanks,

Judy F., Moderator
Sew Its For sale YG
SW Florida - USA