edit & send:
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:11:58 -0700

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:29 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
When the poster edits and then clicks Save and Send to Group
Mark,

FYI, this is a follow up from a topic on GMF.

Andy

Duane

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 05:29 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
When the poster edits and then clicks Save and Send to Group

1. The message is sent out without regard to any hashtag muting, everyone receives it.
(I have not tested whether topic muting is also bypassed.)
I'm not sure that I'd consider this a bug.  As an example:

I send a message to the group with hashtag #meeting that says "The meeting will be Tuesday at 2 pm."  Member Joe realizes he can't be there at that time, so mutes the hashtag and/or topic.  I later decide to change the meeting to Wednesday at 4 pm, so I edit the message.  This is where I think the message should be sent to everyone.  Joe may be able to go to a meeting at that time, but wouldn't know it had been changed if the edited message isn't sent to him.  On the other hand, if the edited message only has to do with details, Joe doesn't need to be notified since he can't go anyway.  Unfortunately, I can see that there are situations where the edit needs to be sent to everyone, as well as those when it doesn't.  I can't think of a solution for this.

Duane

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 3:29 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
This has arisen in a free group where a poster has edited their own message. I guess it would apply if a moderator did the edit but have not tested that scenario.

When the poster edits and then clicks Save and Send to Group

1. The message is sent out without regard to any hashtag muting, everyone receives it.
(I have not tested whether topic muting is also bypassed.)

This has been fixed.

2. The email threading is incorrect, the new message has a new Message-ID and no reference to the old one. For example ...
edit & send:
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:11:58 -0700
original:
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:11:58 -0700

We now set proper References/In-Reply-To headers referencing the original message id.

Malcolm Austen

On 25/03/2021 16:46:40, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

When the poster edits and then clicks Save and Send to Group
1. The message is sent out without regard to any hashtag muting, everyone receives it. (I have not tested whether topic muting is also bypassed.)
This has been fixed.
Thanks Mark.
2. The email threading is incorrect, the new message has a new Message-ID and no reference to the old one.

We now set proper References/In-Reply-To headers referencing the original message id.
Thanks again Mark.

Malcolm.

Malcolm Austen

For your scenario Duane, I would argue that the changed message should be going out without the hashtag and as a new topic so as to avoid such muting.

Malcolm.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 11:53 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I would argue that the changed message should be going out without the hashtag and as a new topic so as to avoid such muting.
While I agree with your reasoning, and it's probably what I would do, I know that what I offered has happened more than once.  Not everyone understands how the site works, so they use what appears to work for them, not realizing that some members may not be notified.

Duane