Topics

locked Easy yahoo group transfer instructions

All,

I've just put up a draft of the instructions for how the easy Yahoo Groups transfer will go:

Please let me know what you think. Are the instructions clear? Am I missing anything?

Cacky B

This looks good to me. I'm anxious to read what others like or dislike about it.
Cacky

On 1/23/2015 3:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
All,

I've just put up a draft of the instructions for how the easy Yahoo Groups transfer will go:

Please let me know what you think. Are the instructions clear? Am I missing anything?

Frances

Hi

I think it looks good!

Frances

On Jan 23 15, at 5:48 PM, Cacky B <cackyb@...> wrote:

This looks good to me. I'm anxious to read what others like or dislike about it.
Cacky

On 1/23/2015 3:58 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
All,

I've just put up a draft of the instructions for how the easy Yahoo Groups transfer will go:

Please let me know what you think. Are the instructions clear? Am I missing anything?

Mark,

Please let me know what you think. Are the instructions clear? Am I
missing anything?
The symbol GROUPNAME is used as a placeholder for both the name of the Yahoo Group and the name of the Groups.io group. Admittedly in different contexts, but since the names might well be different perhaps distinct symbols would be helpful. In particular symbols that imply the service might be best.

-- Shal

Duane

Step 2 #2 I'd suggest that everyone use the same format so it would be easier for you to process things. Have two lines at the top reading:
yg=yahoogroupname
io=groupsiogroupname
or whatever would make it easiest. You could make it at least semi-automatic after just a quick check for consistency.

Step 3 I think the email should say something like "You have been subscribed to the new group using your Yahoo account settings." instead of "Your subscription has been transfered to the new group." Otherwise, folks might think their account on Yahoo is no longer active. There may be some owners that would want to run parallel for awhile, as long as they understand there will really be two groups, one on each service.

Could the final email to GROUPNAME+owner@groups.io possibly contain a list of those that were moderators or co-owners of the Yahoo group? Might make it easier for them to add privileges if those folks aren't already on Groups.

The group owners on Yahoo would need to tell folks what's going to happen and when, so there won't be too many surprises. I'd hope that they'd already have their files, photos, whatever copied over and mostly be ready to run.

Duane

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Could the final email to GROUPNAME+owner@groups.io possibly contain a list of those that were moderators or co-owners of the Yahoo group?  Might make it easier for them to add privileges if those folks aren't already on Groups.

Unfortunately, the member list that I can download does not include a list of who's a moderator/owner.

Mark

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

The symbol GROUPNAME is used as a placeholder for both the name of the Yahoo Group and the name of the Groups.io group. Admittedly in different contexts, but since the names might well be different perhaps distinct symbols would be helpful. In particular symbols that imply the service might be best.

I just changed it to OLDGROUP and NEWGROUP.  Suggestions for something better appreciated.

Mark, would it be good to perhaps have the last line say "If you have any questions, please contact support@groups.io or the group owner (insert owner's name) at [GROUPNAME]+owner@groups.io ." ?? That way, members would be able to contact a person they knew. This is mostly just an idea I thought I'd bounce out. -- Dano

I'd like to echo what others have said that anyone wanting to move a group needs to have that trusted owner make a group announcement.  If I just received that groups.io transfer announcement out of the blue, I would assume it was a spam/scam.

I'm not sure how you're downloading the member list, but when I look at it (as a non-moderator) and View Source, I can see owners tagged with a "yg-sprite tip owner-img" class you could use, if you do it that way.

I always like to think of what sorts of evil things that troublemakers could do, and in this case, it would be signing in as other members of the group and registering passwords for them before the actual group members got a chance.  So for group migrations, you would definitely have to send out a verification mail when someone wants to set up a password.  (Maybe you do this already.  I've forgotten.)

JohnF

JohnF,

I'd like to echo what others have said that anyone wanting to move a
group needs to have that trusted owner make a group announcement. If
I just received that groups.io transfer announcement out of the blue,
I would assume it was a spam/scam.
I think that need is served in (2) of Step 2, when the Yahoo Group owner (moderator) must send an email to Groups.io saying "I'm ready to start". Part of being ready would be to have alerted the membership.

So perhaps in the email sent to OLDGROUP-owner@..., either before or after item 1, there should be a reminder to be kind to the members by giving them a heads up.

-- Shal

Mark,

Unfortunately, the member list that I can download does not include a
list of who's a moderator/owner.
eh?

I think the returned JSON includes a "moderatorStatus" field, with content "OWNER" or "MODERATOR" when present. The field is absent from members' records. At least it did when I examined it nearly a year ago.

I'm not sure why Sam didn't include it in his Chrome export app. I'm equally unsure why I haven't noticed until now, or have forgotten that detail. ;-)

-- Shal

Mark,

I just changed it to OLDGROUP and NEWGROUP. Suggestions for something
better appreciated.
Perhaps this question is academic? If this page of instructions is always shown in the context of a particular Groups.io group, then that name could be used rather than a placeholder. With only one placeholder it could go back to plain GROUPNAME.

And, in that case, the email referred to in (2) of Step 2 could be a mailto: link that initializes the message's subject (and maybe body) appropriately, using the GROUPNAME placeholder for the Yahoo Group's name.

-- Shal