Drafts #suggestion

Andy

I am offering two suggestions to maybe(*) improve the Drafts function in Groups.io.

1.  When someone starts a message online in the web interface but isn't finished, it is saved in Drafts.  After several days (two weeks?), it times out and the message self destructs.  However, the timer starts when the message was started, and is not reset if the member edits the daft later.  So they might start writing a message, then put it aside, then work on it a bit more, put it aside again, and come back to work on it again, and put it aside again.  The next day, they come back, and it's gone.

I think it would be better to reset the timer whenever the draft is opened again for editing.

2.  Would it be possible for Groups.io to send a reminder email to the member when a Draft is within a few days of auto-deletion?

(*)  Suggestion 2 might be a lot of work to implement, without much benefit.  Anyway, it's not necessarily a great idea to depend on Drafts.  So I'm not sure I am in favor of it (#2).

OTOH, I do have cases where I write something but not sure if I really want to send it, sat on it a few days, changed what I wrote over time, and so on, and suddenly found that my Draft is gone because it timed-out -- even though I had edited it only the day before.  That seems like it should be improved.

Andy

KWKloeber

Andy

I agree it would be much easier but what I’ve done in the past is open a draft - copy/paste into a new reply. This starts the calendar over.

Not an ideal solution if you’re editing a draft 20 times, but for a couple updates its workable.

Duane

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 11:34 AM, Andy wrote:
I think it would be better to reset the timer whenever the draft is opened again for editing.
I believe it would be more consistent to have the timer update only if the draft is saved, not just opened.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 03:35 PM, Duane wrote:
I believe it would be more consistent to have the timer update only if the draft is saved, not just opened.
Aren't draft messages saved automatically (there's no Save button) so in theory, opening a draft for a minimum period of time could cause a save to be actioned and the timer to be reset.  Just a thought.

Regards
Andy

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 08:04 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
opening a draft for a minimum period of time could cause a save to be actioned and the timer to be reset.
I don't understand what you're saying here.

This is confusing. Why was a new topic started for this? It's hard to follow at this point. I'm looking for replies I thought I saw but they turn out to be in the new thread. Maybe Mark can merge.

Oh, I see, it seems to be a coincidence! I thought these replies were regarding my bug this morning. Maybe should still be merged?

Andy

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 11:13 AM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
This is confusing. Why was a new topic started for this?

Sorry to make fun, but it was you who started the new topic.

This topic started 2 days ago.

But we are all human (fortunately).  Well, OK, I'll grant you that some might consider themselves more feline than human.  :-)

Andy

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 08:28 AM, Andy wrote:
Sorry to make fun, but it was you who started the new topic.
Haha! Yes, I started the new topic. But I wasn't aware of the old topic (was not following it) so it looked to me like the opposite. ;)