locked Draft not saved or updated while being edited for a long time #bug

Andy

I just lost a lot of work.  I was writing a medium-long reply (in my group) in the web interface, spread out over some time.  Writing took a long time and then I waited a while before sending it.  In the meantime it was still open in the window where I was editing it.  Later, I closed that window without either Sending or Discarding it because it wasn't quite ready yet.  (I saw that the full message was still there in the edit window.)

Minutes later I went back to finish and send it.  But 98% of the message is GONE!  It is reduced to the greeting and the start of my second paragraph.  The missing first paragraph (1 line) suggests that it saved my draft waaay back in the first minute I was writing it, and then ignored it and made no more saves after that point.  I believe it was around two hours when the message edit window was open, and no Saves were made in all that time.

I have gone back and re-opened the Draft several times, even logged back in, but it always looks the same.  I was on the Internet all this time.

What happened?  Do Drafts revert to earlier saves and discard later ones?  Does something go wrong if you take too long, or stop typing for a while?

Can we add a button to Save the current state of the message?  It appears we can't count on Groups.io to decide when to save it.

Andy

I've had this happen, and I posted about it here awhile back, and was advised not to use the "back" button while working on a draft. HOWEVER, I have since discovered that no matter what you do, back button or no back button, if you click on Home the most recent draft does show up in Drafts. At least, usually, for me. I would try that.

Andy

If you mean that clicking Home gets you the most recent Draft, that didn't work for me.  All I got was the first draft, saved hours earlier.

I think what I did to leave the editing window, was go straight to Admin>Activity log, or maybe to Messages.  I rarely ever use the Back button.

Groups.io should give us a way to save the draft of a message that is not ready to be sent yet.  As long as there is the Drafts section, it ought to be made usable.  I'm seeing many problems with Drafts.

Andy

Michael Pavan

On Aug 2, 2021, at 9:30 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@gmail.com> wrote:

I just lost a lot of work. I was writing a medium-long reply (in my group) in the web interface, spread out over some time.
I commiserate.
I've found it is always risky to compose a message either in an email or a webform, rather than in a text document on my own machine. Granted it's tempting, but I've been burned too often.

KWKloeber

Andy is possible that you had the draft open in two different windows or tabs?
I have found (via some testing) that the most-recently closed window is what is saved.  I've never lost a draft but have screwed up and had one open in different windows and exited my older version last (so it replaced my just--minutes-earlier-edited/completed version.)  For it to save that way IT APPEARS that the second window actually needs to be edited.

So, open a draft in window A (draft A)
Open the same draft in window B (draft B)
Edit draft A and close window A = draft A is saved.
Then exit window B = draft A remains (draft B is not saved)
BUT make ANY edit to draft B before closing window B = draft B replaces draft A  (A bummer if that happens by accident)

Andy

I always watch out for that.  No, I had only 1 window open.  It was full of lots of text when I closed it, and most of it was gone when I re-opened the Draft.

Andy

Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared? That always works for me.

Andy

re: "Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared?"

I thought I answered that already.  Clicking on Home (after the Draft became truncated) did not give me the entire message again.  It gave me only the truncated version.  The same thing happened if I logged out and back in.

In case you misunderstood, the Draft was always there and I could always open it.  It just opened with most of the contents missing.  It appeared to be a very early draft of the message, as if Groups.io saved it only once, very early in my editing session.

Andy

Sorry, I didn’t see than answer. That’s exactly what used to happen to me, though. I’d find an old, partial version of the draft. But often, after I refreshed the group page, it would give me the more recent one.

On Aug 3, 2021, at 1:26 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

re: "Did you try clicking on "Home" and seeing if it reappeared?"

I thought I answered that already.  Clicking on Home (after the Draft became truncated) did not give me the entire message again.  It gave me only the truncated version.  The same thing happened if I logged out and back in.

In case you misunderstood, the Draft was always there and I could always open it.  It just opened with most of the contents missing.  It appeared to be a very early draft of the message, as if Groups.io saved it only once, very early in my editing session.

Andy

Andy

So you would have two different copies of the same draft?  That's disturbing.

Andy

Peter Cook

I'm pretty sure she means that the older draft would be updated to the newer one.

Marv Waschke

Similar things have happened to me, not necessarily with groups.io. That's why I always compose long emails in a word processor rather than in an email client or web browser, but one fat fingering that I am capable of is inadvertently selecting a large block of text and replacing it with a blank. With just the right combination of clumsiness and inattention, I can to this so fast I don't realize what I've done. A ctrl-z (undo) will restore block if it is still is in the command stack.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Andy, just pointing out a scenario that would look like this one.
Marv

Unfortunately Word does not play nice with the editor in groups.io abd I discourage members from doing that.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Marv Waschke <marvwaschke@...> wrote:

Similar things have happened to me, not necessarily with groups.io. That's why I always compose long emails in a word processor rather than in an email client or web browser, but one fat fingering that I am capable of is inadvertently selecting a large block of text and replacing it with a blank. With just the right combination of clumsiness and inattention, I can to this so fast I don't realize what I've done. A ctrl-z (undo) will restore block if it is still is in the command stack.

I'm not saying this is what happened to Andy, just pointing out a scenario that would look like this one.
Marv

Hi All,

Looking through the logs, it appears that at some point when Andy was editing his reply, his browser stopped sending updates to the groups.io servers. What I am working on now is code to handle errors in this case and to retry, in a way similar to how Gmail works. Hope to have it working tomorrow.

Rubens

MW> That's why I always compose
> long emails in a word processor

JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.

This is because you have to use
a "pure TEXT" editor, like TextPAD
or the Windows NotePAD for tasks
like that (p.e. compose a email).
Not a word processor like MS Word.

[ ] Rubens

.

Peter Cook

When I'm composing a draft, before I leave the composition page I select all and copy. Then I make sure after leaving that the draft has been saved. If it hasn't (which has only happened a couple of times), I simply paste the contents of the clipboard.

As I said: I tell my group members not to use Word. And people are not generally going to use plain text. So, yeah.

On Aug 4, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Rubens <rubens.alves@outlook.com> wrote:

MW> That's why I always compose
long emails in a word processor
JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.

This is because you have to use
a "pure TEXT" editor, like TextPAD
or the Windows NotePAD for tasks
like that (p.e. compose a email).
Not a word processor like MS Word.

[ ] Rubens

.

Donald Hellen

Rubens . . .

On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 18:58:46 -0300, "Rubens" <rubens.alves@outlook.com>
wrote:

JC| Unfortunately Word does not play
| nice with the editor in groups.io
| abd I discourage members from
| doing that.
I believe when you go to past text from another program, you have
multiple choices of HOW to past that text if you use the right click
menu instead of CTRL-V. At work, there are times when I don't want to
past text into another program that's formatted in that program. I
choose the past option on the right of the right click menu when I
want to do that.

Of course, if it's convenient, you can use Windows Notepad, or
Notepad++ (a 3rd party notepad-like program with additional features
over notepad.

Donald

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 05:17 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
if it's convenient, you can use Windows Notepad, or
Notepad++
We're talking (or at least I'm talking) about group members who just want to post their messages. I'm not gonna get my group members to do any of that. I just tell them don't copy/paste from Word.

Marv Waschke

Our experience differs. This is a paste from Word. I do it all the time and it works well enough for me.