Topics

moderated Dozens of gmail members suddenly bouncing - what's going on? #misc

Suddenly today handfuls and handfuls of gmail members in my group started bouncing. Seems like some sort of systemic issue?

It looks like in all cases, the delivery history log shows "the email address does not exist."  But the email addresses do exist, and in fact the bounce probes I subsequently sent are being successfully delivered.

Leeni

I use gmail - I signed into the group and found I was bouncing too and there wasn't any reason for it that I could see. One click and I was un bouncing.

Suddenly today handfuls and handfuls of gmail members in my group started bouncing. Seems like some sort of systemic issue?

Bill Burns

On 14-Dec-20 7:01 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Suddenly today handfuls and handfuls of gmail members in my group started bouncing. Seems like some sort of systemic issue?
It was all over the news today:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/14/22173803/gmail-youtube-google-assistant-docs-down-outage

Check out the spike of down reports!

https://downdetector.com/status/gmail/

Bill

Thanks.

Larry Finch

Google had a major, worldwide outage earlier today. I suspect this is left over from that outage.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Suddenly today handfuls and handfuls of gmail members in my group started bouncing. Seems like some sort of systemic issue?

Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

Hi All,

This issue started a couple hours ago and isn't limited to just us. Many email services are reporting delivery issues to gmail.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 4:57 PM Larry Finch <Finches@...> wrote:
Google had a major, worldwide outage earlier today. I suspect this is left over from that outage.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 7:02 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Suddenly today handfuls and handfuls of gmail members in my group started bouncing. Seems like some sort of systemic issue?

Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

Thanks, Mark. I realized right after seeing all the "this email address does not exist" messages that it was a gmail issue, and then people started posting here about the google outage. Maybe a show of power since they're being sued for antitrust violations. ;)

Mark,

This issue started a couple hours ago and isn't limited to just us. Many email services are reporting delivery issues to gmail.

Ironically, I missed the prior messages in this topic (27136 through 27142) because my address had been set Bouncing.

I shudder to imagine how many messages per minute Gmail may have been bouncing if this was system-wide.

Shal

Should gmail users who are newly bouncing as of today be auto-unbounced? I imagine there will be quite a few who don't think about unbouncing themselves (or group moderators sending unbounce messages).

JohnF

JohnF,

Should gmail users who are newly bouncing as of today be auto-unbounced?
I'd second that. I didn't get the initial bounce probe (was still bouncing, probably) and the next one wouldn't be for another three days.

The only reason I found out was that I went on site to approve a pending message, and the web site folded itself into a little ball and said "no, you're bouncing". There are now a couple hundred gmail bouncing on GMF, which I think is unusually high. And at a glance most are Gmail.

So, secondarily, a +1 on the prior suggestions to have a way to sort the Bouncing list by the date/time they (most recently) began bouncing. And thirdly the suggestion to have a sort by email domain.

Shal

They will be automatically unbounced as long as they didn’t turn “bounced” (red) instead simply “bouncing” (blue). Doubtful that this caused any red (bounced) status since it lasted only a very short time, at least in my group, But to reassure yourself, you can send them all bounce probes.

On Dec 14, 2020, at 5:41 PM, JohnF via groups.io <johnf1686=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Should gmail users who are newly bouncing as of today be auto-unbounced? I imagine there will be quite a few who don't think about unbouncing themselves (or group moderators sending unbounce messages).

JohnF

That’s assuming I remember the sequence of events correctly. I wrote documentation on bounce handling a couple of years ago but it is a little bit fading from my memory.

That’s assuming I remember the sequence of events correctly.
I believe you have - the new bouncers in GMF are Blue, not Red.

My concern is that, in my case at least, it seems the bounce probe that would have alerted me also bounced. And the time before a retry is (IIRC) three days. I'd lose an awful lot of messages in that time.

Shal

Shal,

In my group the bounce probes are reaching people, but the people are not responding. So I agree with you that it would be good to do a blanket unbounce of any account that started bouncing during the timeframe in question.

Dave Sergeant

The widely reported outage at Google (an account authorisation issue)
happened late morning yesterday in the UK and was cleared within a
couple of hours or so. Do I take it from your timings that there was a
second outage much later in the day?

Some media over here were claiming they had been hacked, I suspect it
was far more innocent like loss of a few servers due to a power outage
or similar.

Dave

On 14 Dec 2020 at 17:19, Mark Fletcher wrote:

This issue started a couple hours ago and isn't limited to just us. Many
email services are reporting delivery issues to gmail.

http://davesergeant.com

Dave,

Do I take it from your timings that there was a
second outage much later in the day?
It looks like that to me.

First thing in the morning Pacific (UTC-0800) I found that the copy of Thunderbird I'd left running overnight was no longer authorized to access my Gmail accounts. My receipt of messages from Groups.io via those accounts was not interrupted at that time.

In the mid-afternoon my more active Gmail address went on Bouncing status and I missed the receipt of several messages in both GMF and Beta. I also missed the Bounce Probe (that I assume was attempted) and only discovered my bouncing status because I visited the web site.

In GMF's Activity log the bouncing of Gmail accounts began around 2:45 pm Pacific and continued until about 3:41 pm.

The possible connection between the two events is that the bounce reason was "The email account that you tried to reach does not exist". Not exactly an authentication issue (inbound rather than outbound), but still related to my Gmail account identity.

Shal

Michael Chopra

Hi. I can also confirm that I was also bounced, however I got the email from Groups.io about the fact I was bouncing and resolved it.
Thanks.
From Michael.

 > Do I take it from your timings that there was a
 > second outage much later in the day?

It looks like that to me.

First thing in the morning Pacific (UTC-0800) I found that the copy of
Thunderbird I'd left running overnight was no longer authorized to
access my Gmail accounts. My receipt of messages from Groups.io via
those accounts was not interrupted at that time.

In the mid-afternoon my more active Gmail address went on Bouncing
status and I missed the receipt of several messages in both GMF and
Beta. I also missed the Bounce Probe (that I assume was attempted) and
only discovered my bouncing status because I visited the web site.

In GMF's Activity log the bouncing of Gmail accounts began around 2:45
pm Pacific and continued until about 3:41 pm.

The possible connection between the two events is that the bounce reason
was "The email account that you tried to reach does not exist". Not
exactly an authentication issue (inbound rather than outbound), but
still related to my Gmail account identity.

Shal

David Haun

The news this morning is reporting a "worldwide outage" yesterday of the internet.
Davíd

I've sent and resent bounce probes to my bouncing members but nobody has responded (one of them did respond, but he was bouncing earlier in the day and perhaps was from the "first wave"). I'm now trying to contact people outside the system to tell the to look for the bounce probes. Can someone please tell me the title of the bounce probe message, so I can alert people what to look for? I can't test for this myself because you can only send bounce probes to bouncing members and I'm not bouncing. I would not be surprised if so many bounce probes are going out that they're now being judged as spam and going into spam folders.