Topics

locked Download member list question with Windows

On 10 Sep 2015 at 3:20, Linda wrote:

Thankfully some of us are savvy enough never to use an online tool from
an unknown entity to subject our members to a lifetime of spam and much
worse.
Just trying to offer you an option other than the simple ones that have
been suggested for you.

Thankfully some of us are savvy enough to do trivial manipulation of csv
files without needing to use online tools.

--
Jim
Poston@...

<< (horrified) 'No! Not the Knights who say Ni!' >>

Would it help things if I changed the mime type of the returned page so that it's plain text instead of text/csv? That would mean when you click on the download link, instead of downloading a csv file, it'll just appear as text in the browser window?

Mark

Steph <hsrsp@...>

I think you could try that and we can test it to make sure that it works.

Thanks Mark for all that you do here on Groups.io.  We appreciate it.

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Download member list question with Windows

Would it help things if I changed the mime type of the returned page so that it's plain text instead of text/csv? That would mean when you click on the download link, instead of downloading a csv file, it'll just appear as text in the browser window?

Mark

Mark,

Would it help things if I changed the mime type of the returned page
so that it's plain text instead of text/csv? That would mean when you
click on the download link, instead of downloading a csv file, it'll
just appear as text in the browser window?
I think that would be friendly for owners of small groups.

And I don't think it wouldn't adversely affect owners of large groups, they can use the browser's File | Save As function to create a .txt or ..csv file from it. Unless the list were somehow too big for a browser to handle this way - I have no idea if that's even a possibility.

-- Shal

Ok, I've made the change so that when you download the member list, it will be sent as plain text. Let me know if this is better or worse.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

> Would it help things if I changed the mime type of the returned page
> so that it's plain text instead of text/csv? That would mean when you
> click on the download link, instead of downloading a csv file, it'll
> just appear as text in the browser window?

I think that would be friendly for owners of small groups.

And I don't think it wouldn't adversely affect owners of large groups, they can use the browser's File | Save As function to create a .txt or ..csv file from it. Unless the list were somehow too big for a browser to handle this way - I have no idea if that's even a possibility.

-- Shal

Steph <hsrsp@...>

Hi Mark and everyone,
I am going to provide what it shows for me when I click on download.  I'm going to use my info as an example and then I'm going to give a suggestion.

"hsrsp@...","Steph","","6/9/2015","0","1","0","0","false","2","1"nextaddress","theirname etc. etc.

It is like that all through the document without any kind of separation between each person.  Has allot of quotation marks, comas, and other things.

My suggestion would be having info for each person on their own line, and none of that extra stuff?  I don't know about other group owners and moderators but it sure would be easier on me.  Les of a headache.  Just a suggestion.  Steph

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 5:25 PM

Ok, I've made the change so that when you download the member list, it will be sent as plain text. Let me know if this is better or worse.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

> Would it help things if I changed the mime type of the returned page
> so that it's plain text instead of text/csv? That would mean when you
> click on the download link, instead of downloading a csv file, it'll
> just appear as text in the browser window?

I think that would be friendly for owners of small groups.

And I don't think it wouldn't adversely affect owners of large groups, they can use the browser's File | Save As function to create a .txt or ..csv file from it. Unless the list were somehow too big for a browser to handle this way - I have no idea if that's even a possibility.

-- Shal

Steph,

It is like that all through the document without any kind of
separation between each person. Has allot of quotation marks, comas,
and other things.
Odd. I get a page with one member per line, the email addresses neatly lined up on the left. Yes, surrounded by quote marks and separated by commas.

I'm using Firefox, other browsers may vary. Or if you haven't tried it since Mark changed it from a mandatory download to a page that just opens in the browser, you should try it again.

-- Shal

Linda

Edited

Hi Shal,
After Mark made the change, I got the same result as Steph.

Yahoo’s (old) Download list was Text File, not a web page.

Linda

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 9:44 PM

Steph,

> It is like that all through the document without any kind of
> separation between each person. Has allot of quotation marks, comas,
> and other things.

Odd. I get a page with one member per line, the email addresses neatly
lined up on the left. Yes, surrounded by quote marks and separated by
commas.

I'm using Firefox, other browsers may vary. Or if you haven't tried it
since Mark changed it from a mandatory download to a page that just
opens in the browser, you should try it again.

-- Shal

Linda,

After Mark made the change, I got the same result as Steph.
All the members run together, rather than separated one per line? I
wonder what the difference is.

Yahoo’s (old) Download list that was Text File, not a web page.
Actually, it was a plain text web page, which you could then save to a
file. Here's a screen shot showing the Download list in Firefox:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130182725/in/album-72157636272401705/
(pardon the blurs for privacy)

And here's one showing the Export list:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130180605/in/album-72157636272401705/

The second looks very much like I see with Mark's update, except that
Yahoo had the ID first and the email address second, had used
apostrophes rather than quote marks, and had spelled out the field
content rather than using numeric codes for most.

-- Shal

Linda

Hi Shal,
My mistake - it was a plain text web page that I saved to a file.  One click, Save As.  Perfect!
Thanks!
Linda

Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 10:21 PM

Linda,

> After Mark made the change, I got the same result as Steph.

All the members run together, rather than separated one per line? I
wonder what the difference is.

> Yahoo’s (old) Download list that was Text File, not a web page.

Actually, it was a plain text web page, which you could then save to a
file. Here's a screen shot showing the Download list in Firefox:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130182725/in/album-72157636272401705/
(pardon the blurs for privacy)

And here's one showing the Export list:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130180605/in/album-72157636272401705/

The second looks very much like I see with Mark's update, except that
Yahoo had the ID first and the email address second, had used
apostrophes rather than quote marks, and had spelled out the field
content rather than using numeric codes for most.

-- Shal

I just pushed a change to the site so that downloading the member list should now have proper linefeeds on Windows machines (ie. all the lines won't run together). I also removed a bunch of unnecessary quotes around the numeric fields. Please let me know what you think.

Linda

Hi Mark,
I think you’re the greatest!
Thank you so much.
Linda

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 8:11 PM

I just pushed a change to the site so that downloading the member list should now have proper linefeeds on Windows machines (ie. all the lines won't run together). I also removed a bunch of unnecessary quotes around the numeric fields. Please let me know what you think.

Mark,

I just pushed a change to the site so that downloading the member list
should now have proper linefeeds on Windows machines (ie. all the lines
won't run together). I also removed a bunch of unnecessary quotes around
the numeric fields. Please let me know what you think.
Much cleaner look, I like it (even though I immediately paste the list into Excel and the look doesn't really affect me).

-- Shal