Download member list file name #suggestion

Jack Heim

Today I was migrating a group from the free service to a subgroup within a premium group. This is a pretty common task it seems based on what I see in the group owners list. Anyway, I made a serious mistake -- I accidently imported the members of the group from the last time I did this. The problem was that when you clikc the Download link on the members page for a group, it creates a file in your Downloads folder called memberslist.csv. Or i should say, that's what it does unless there is already a file there by that name. In that case, it creates a file called memberslist(1).csv. If you don't notice that, you are likely to make the mistake I made.

I am not sure its clear what I'm saying. I went to the old group, clicked Admin-Members-Download. unbeknownst to me, that created a file named memberlist(1).csv because there was already a file called memberlist.csv in the folder. I then opened memberlist.csv and pulled that list of members into my new subgroup not realizing it was the wrong list of members.

I know the Download feature was recently improved to create that file. But the file should not have the same name all the time. One idea would be to name the file after the group. So if the group is called WhiteElephants@groups.io, the CSV file would be called WhiteElephants.csv.

Or better yet, when the user clicks the download link, it brings up a dialog box that asks the user what they want to do with the download, open or save? If they click save, it allows them to enter a file name. This is the wayit usually works when you download a file on the web.

-
Jack Heim, john@johnheim.com

Scott Logan

I just tried this on one of my groups and it opened up my Windows "Save As" dialog, allowing me to select a folder and change the name.

OTOH, I agree, if it defaulted to a name with the group name embedded, and maybe with a date/time code it would be even better.

Scott

[...]

Duane

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 03:11 PM, Jack Heim wrote:
So if the group is called WhiteElephants@groups.io, the CSV file would be called WhiteElephants.csv
I don't think that would make any difference.  If Windows sees that the download is an existing file, it will always add the (#) to the name.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 04:11 PM, Jack Heim wrote:
I accidently imported the members of the group from the last time I did this.
In a paid group, you can use File Sync to correct this. See https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-members/premium-and-enterprise-member-management-options , "Synchronizing group members with a file of email addresses."

Not sure that it works for subgroups, though...never tried it.

The problem was that when you clikc the Download link on the members page for a group, it creates a file in your Downloads folder called memberslist.csv. Or i should say, that's what it does unless there is already a file there by that name. In that case, it creates a file called memberslist(1).csv. If you don't notice that, you are likely to make the mistake I made.
I'm okay with naming the file with the group name, so as to avoid uploading a list you may have downloaded from a different group. Beyond that, I'm struggling to understand how any naming convention for the downloaded members list will keep someone from uploading the wrong one.

Regards,
Bruce

Jack Heim

Of course it would make a difference. if you download a file for a group called WhiteElephant, the file is called WhiteElephant.csv. A day later, you do another group called FatHippo, and the file is called FatHippo.csv.

On 5/5/22 15:53, Duane wrote:
On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 03:11 PM, Jack Heim wrote:
So if the group is called WhiteElephants@groups.io, the CSV file would be called WhiteElephants.csv
I don't think that would make any difference.  If Windows sees that the download is an existing file, it will always add the (#) to the name.

Duane
-- Jack Heim, john@...

Duane

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 05:12 PM, Jack Heim wrote:
the file is called WhiteElephant.csv. A day later, you do another group called FatHippo, and the file is called FatHippo.csv
But you earlier said "I accidently imported the members of the group from the last time I did this", so it would have the same name.

Duane

Jack Heim

It's 2 different groups. I'm pulling *several* old individual groups into a single premium group.  Like I said, this is a fairly common task. At least 2 threads have developed regarding this task on the group owners list. Some organization creates a series of free groups for itself. At some point, they decide it is worthwhile to buy a premium subscription and pull all those seperate groups into subgroups of one main group.

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 1:11 PM Jack Heim <john@...> wrote:
Today I was migrating a group from the free service to a subgroup within
a premium group. This is a pretty common task it seems based on what I
see in the group owners list. Anyway, I made a serious mistake -- I
accidently imported the members of the group from the last time I did
this. The problem was that when you clikc the Download link on the
members page for a group, it creates a file in your Downloads folder
called memberslist.csv. Or i should say, that's what it does unless
there is already a file there by that name. In that case, it creates a
file called memberslist(1).csv. If you don't notice that, you are likely
to make the mistake I made.

I've changed it so the downloaded file is now the email address of the group with .csv appended.

Cheers,
Mark