Topics

locked Delivery Options

Linda

Hi,
When I subscribed, despite my long history as a Yahoo group owner, I found the mail options confusing and botched it!

I can only imagine the nightmare that's in store if we can't have the option to go with a simplified plan.  Good old KISS is best for older folks.

In my groups, we use subjects, don't need hashtags, and the delete key is fine for unfollowing particular threads.

We need only a choice of three mail options:
     All messages as single emails
     Digest
     No Mail except Special Notices

Mark, I appreciate all the sophisticated programming you've worked on, but I beg  you to make it possible for group owners to opt-in to a simplified version of Groups.io.

Thanks,
Linda

Frances

Hi

For my own group, I would definitely like the “First Message Only” to remain as an option.

Frances

On Jan 18 15, at 5:15 AM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:

Hi,
When I subscribed, despite my long history as a Yahoo group owner, I found the mail options confusing and botched it!

I can only imagine the nightmare that's in store if we can't have the option to go with a simplified plan.  Good old KISS is best for older folks.

In my groups, we use subjects, don't need hashtags, and the delete key is fine for unfollowing particular threads.

We need only a choice of three mail options:
     All messages as single emails
     Digest
     No Mail except Special Notices

Mark, I appreciate all the sophisticated programming you've worked on, but I beg  you to make it possible for group owners to opt-in to a simplified version of Groups.io.

Thanks,
Linda

RS

Would it be possible for group owners to be given checkboxes on all the various features, so that if one does not want a certain delivery option available to members, they can remove it to cut down on the possible confusion points?  Then everyone gets what they prefer in their own group.

Edited

I would caution owners about wanting to limit user features to only those they themselves would use. We never know what unique circumstances a group member may have, and what level of technical sophistication they are capable of. I too have a group with a number of older users, and I would never think to assume or limit what they are capable of understanding. I would agree the defaults should be pretty basic, but limiting the user's capabilities might lose you members to frustrations.

As for understanding the different settings and what they mean, isn't that the purpose of the wiki? We've seen the value of such explanations with the wiki that was created for 'neo'.

Dano

Linda,

 When I subscribed, despite my long history as a Yahoo group owner, I
 found the mail options confusing and botched it!

Can you detail for us what you did wrong? A little background on the confusion might go a long way to helping Mark make the options clearer.

It would also help me understand if the separation of Email Delivery from Message Selection that dg and I proposed is (sufficiently) clearer.

 I can only imagine the nightmare that's in store if we can't have the
 option to go with a simplified plan.  Good old KISS is best for older
 folks.

Would it help if you were able to control the default Subscription options your members get when they join? cf my other suggestion "Membership Templates":
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/thread/membership_templates/24549

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Dan wrote:>>As for understanding the different settings and what they mean, isn't that the purpose of the wiki? We've seen the value of such explanations with the wiki that was created for 'neo'.<<

Not for me. I can't understand the Wiki at all. It's so over my head I'm on the ocean floor. ;)

Brenda

I have a suspicion that this group, Beta, will eventually become the place that members, and especially owners and moderators, come to for advice like that. Oh, I expect it will evolve some, and maybe it will change names to something like 'Questions & Answers', but the knowledge and understanding here will always be important for new folks. Just my observation and a guess at the future. Dano

Judy F.

Not for me either and also for those who aren’t real comfortable with a computer.  Like someone said, Keep It Simple.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA