Deleting Calendar Event - "Send Notice to Group" checkbox is checked by default #bug

Dotty Bell

I am reporting this as a #bug, because it is contrary to the action as described in the Groups.io Help Members Manual.  According to the Members Manual, when deleting a calendar event "If you want to notify group members about the deletion, in the Verify Delete confirmation popup, select the Send Notice To Group checkbox before you click Yes."

My experience is that the opposite is the case. The "Send Notice to Group" is pre-checked by default, and the notification message is automatically sent to the group.  To prevent the notification, the checkbox must be UNCHECKED manually.  This is contrary to the manual description, and I think also contrary to the "unchecked" default status of Notify Members checkboxes when updating or deleting Photos & Files.  When merely Updating (not deleting) calendar events, there is no notification sent (and no checkbox.)

I discovered this discrepancy after-the-fact when deleting an Anniversary Date for a divorced couple in the calendar for a family group, which caused unintended embarrassment on both their and my part when the deletion Notification was sent to the group.  I realize it was my mistake to not notice the pre-checked box, but I think it would be preferable to maintain consistency with the default of either Checked or Unchecked notification boxes in the features.  If not, then the description in the Members Manual should be corrected for deleting Calendar Events.

Thanks for your consideration.

D Bell

Michael Pavan

Default status should be "unchecked" so one must 'opt-in' to get a result,
rather than "uncheck" to 'opt-out' of what may be an undesired notification.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 06:35 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
rather than "uncheck" to 'opt-out' of what may be an undesired notification.
I'm in agreement with your statement, Michael.  I am reporting that currently the default status for group notification on Delete Calendar Event is "checked", which did indeed result in an undesired notification.

D Bell