Deleting a pending message should say "pending message" in the Activity Log #suggestion #done

Andy

When a Moderator rejects a pending message, the Activity Log records that the Moderator deleted the message, but with no mention of the word "pending" in the Activity Log.  This is somewhat confusing.  In the log, it looks almost the same as the entry when a member deletes their own message.

I recommend that the word "message" be changed to "pending message" in the Activity Log, when a moderator deletes a pending message.

(It's also confusing because applying the "Deleted message" filter to the Activity Log does not find these messages deleted by the Moderator.  One has to use the "Deleted pending message" filter for that, but then the entries it finds do not mention "pending".)

Thanks,
Andy

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 08:29 PM, Andy wrote:
When a Moderator rejects a pending message
I think you mean when a mod deletes a pending message (as in your message title here). When they reject it, the log says they rejected it.

Andy

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 11:44 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think you mean when a mod deletes a pending message (as in your message title here). When they reject it, the log says they rejected it.

Sorry.  I did not know there is a difference.  I should have looked more closely.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference?  If a message is pending, then it seemed (to me) that delete = reject, so obviously I am missing something.  I see (now) that the Activity log has entries for both.  I also see (now) that rejecting a pending message sends a notice email to the sender, but deleting a pending message does not.  Is that the only difference?  If that is the only difference, would it not be better to name the actions to make it clear?

What happened in this case was the result of clicking the "Ban member" button (or whatever it was called) at the bottom of the pending message.  That action simultaneously bans the member, and deletes the message.

Andy

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 09:12 PM, Andy wrote:
what is the difference?
"Delete" deletes the pending message without notifying the sender. If you've done it, you've seen the confirmation dialog: "Delete this message without notifying the sender?" "Reject" notifies the sender ("Your message was not approved") and gives the mod the opportunity to write a reason for the rejection.

Andy

Since the Activity log has entries for both Deleted pending messages, and Rejected pending messages, I think it would be appropriate to add the word "pending" in the log entries for both.

Therefore:
  • If a pending message is deleted, the log ought to say "abc@... deleted mno@...'s pending message ..."
  • If a pending message is rejected, the log ought to say "abc@... rejected mno@...'s pending message ..."

Perhaps not necessary, because "rejected" may imply that it was pending.  But it seems fair to make them otherwise look the same, and to remove any chance of misunderstanding.

Andy

Andy

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 12:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
"Delete" deletes the pending message without notifying the sender. If you've done it, you've seen the confirmation dialog: "Delete this message without notifying the sender?" ...

But of course I didn't.  I used the "Ban member" button.  No such dialog about "Delete this message without notifying the sender" - which I think is appropriate for a banned member, IMHO.

Andy

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Andy wrote:
But of course I didn't.  I used the "Ban member" button. No such dialog about "Delete this message without notifying the sender"
That was not mentioned in your OP, which in fact only referred to "rejecting" the message. You are now starting to clarify the situation.

Andy

J,

It makes no difference how the pending message was deleted or rejected, nor whether the member was banned or not banned or removed or not removed.

The whole point of my suggestion is this: to add the word "pending" to the entry in the Activity Log.

I'm happy that you have a better picture now of the background behind these events, but I believe it does not matter.  If a pending message gets deleted or rejected by any means, I'm asking that the activity log include the word "pending", so that we know it was a pending message.  Simple enough?  The "Actions" filter for the Activity log has separate entries for "Deleted message" versus "Deleted pending message", so I think it stands to reason that the lines in the Activity log also should differentiate between regular messages and pending messages by using the word "pending" when it was a pending message that went away.

Andy

Well, a rejected message doesn't need the word "pending" because that's implied. I have no further interest in this. I was merely trying to clarify for you, since you asked "what's the difference," the difference between reject and delete.

Andy

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 10:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Well, a rejected message doesn't need the word "pending" because that's implied.

I understand that, and I already addressed that.

I was merely trying to clarify for you, since you asked "what's the difference," the difference between reject and delete.

That was waaay back.  We already clarified that.

Andy