Topics

moderated DDoS against our DNS servers #outage

Hi All,

It appears someone is attacking our DNS servers. I've mitigated the attack for now, but you may have intermittent issues accessing the Groups.io website if things change.

As long as we can see the cats when it’s down, I’m good!

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 1:45 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
As long as we can see the cats when it’s down, I’m good!

See now, that's the problem with DNS attacks. You wouldn't even be able to see the cats !!!!!
Mark

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You wouldn't even be able to see the cats !!!!!
Well, then that's unacceptable!!!!

Glenn Glazer

On 03/11/2021 14:52, J_Catlady wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 01:54 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You wouldn't even be able to see the cats !!!!!
Well, then that's unacceptable!!!!

Clearly, things are going to the dogs.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 06:01 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Clearly, things are going to the dogs.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to have a word with them punks to leave the cats alone, this is pawsitively a Distributed Denial of Groups.io Service (DDoGS) attack.

Glenn Glazer

On 03/11/2021 16:27, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 06:01 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Clearly, things are going to the dogs.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to have a word with them punks to leave the cats alone, this is pawsitively a Distributed Denial of Groups.io Service (DDoGS) attack.

Relevant:

https://httpstatusdogs.com/

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Joseph Hudson

Oh no Mark, this is not good. I surely hate this. I hope that it is resolved soon.

On Mar 11, 2021, at 3:36 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

It appears someone is attacking our DNS servers. I've mitigated the attack for now, but you may have intermittent issues accessing the Groups.io website if things change.

Pat Pratt

I'm seeing differences in format
--
Pat Pratt

Hi All,

I realized I didn't follow up with this. The attack stopped about 45 minutes after it started. We had DNS issues for about 5-8 minutes at the start of the attack before I could mitigate it.

The DNS servers normally see 200-300 requests/second. During the attack, we were seeing 6k requests/second.

Everything should be back to normal.

Also, your puns are awful. I love it.

Donald Hellen

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 15:40:35 -0800, "Mark Fletcher"
<markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Everything should be back to normal.
Glad it's back to normal for you and everyone.

Donald