Topics

locked Dates on Groups.io

Frances

Hi everyone,

As a Canadian, I have to remember the date order that Americans use. Here, some of us tend to use day, month, year. You tend to use month, day, year.

I wonder whether anyone else would like year, month, day? 2015-01-07
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Then I won’t have to look to see the position of the number bigger 12 to figure out style used!

Frances

Frances,

As a Canadian, I have to remember the date order that Americans use.
Here, some of us tend to use day, month, year. You tend to use month,
day, year.

I wonder whether anyone else would like year, month, day?
2015-01-07
My favorite take on the subject agrees with your proposal:
http://xkcd.com/1179/

-- Shal

Judy F.

Not me. I am a Month, Day, Year person. If it is possible to choose the format, then I say OK, but not have a firm year/Month/Day. Nope.

Judy F.,
SW Florida - USA

> As a Canadian, I have to remember the date order that Americans use.
> Here, some of us tend to use day, month, year. You tend to use month, > day, year.
>
> I wonder whether anyone else would like year, month, day?
> 2015-01-07

My favorite take on the subject agrees with your proposal:
http://xkcd.com/1179/

-- Shal

Judy,

If it is possible to choose the format, then I say OK, but not have a
firm year/Month/Day.
The proposal would be YYYY-MM-DD (hyphens not slashes, two-digit months and days). That is, 2015-01-07 not 2015/1/7.

Writing code in the '70s I learned to use YYMMDD (no punctuation), because it sorts properly as either a number or as text. But then Y2K came along... ;-)

-- Shal

Judy F.

I think there will be a lot of unhappy people if this is put into effect and not have the option to change it to the normal standard for those of us that prefer the normal mm/dd/yy/ or mm-dd-yy.

Thanks Shal.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

> If it is possible to choose the format, then I say OK, but not have a > firm year/Month/Day.

The proposal would be YYYY-MM-DD (hyphens not slashes, two-digit months and days). That is, 2015-01-07 not 2015/1/7.

Writing code in the '70s I learned to use YYMMDD (no punctuation), because it sorts properly as either a number or as text. But then Y2K came along... ;-)

-- Shal

I am strongly of the opinion that, if possible, it should be selectable by each
user. I always use day-month-year. If it must be fixed to a single format, then
year-month-day is the most logical because it is easily sortable, but few
people normally use that format.

Jim Fisher

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

It's easy enough to make this a user preference option.. Anyone have a good example of a web site that lets users set this preference (ie. which set of date formats should there be)?

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom
http://jimella..livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you

Linda

Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 4:26 PM

It's easy enough to make this a user preference option.. Anyone have a good example of a web site that lets users set this preference (ie. which set of date formats should there be)?

Laurence Taylor

On 07 Jan 2015 18:12, Frances wrote:
Hi everyone,

As a Canadian, I have to remember the date order that Americans use.
Here, some of us tend to use day, month, year. You tend to use month,
day, year.

I wonder whether anyone else would like year, month, day?
Excellent idea. The US format can be very confusing for dates less than
13! Y-M-D is completely unambiguous.

--
rgds
LAurence

I don't have an example of a website. But for work, for two years I had to deal with the dates with year first. I thought I would lose my mind because the dates were critically important and I read them wrong almost every time for two years. It was a true nightmare. I have seen the following: Month day year;  day month year, year month day; year day month; . Help!! what do you do when you have a day 05 and a month 01 and the year is written as 12?  How are you supposed to know if you are looking at day month year or month day year or some other combination?

I strictly want the U.S, Month, day, year.  For an international site, it needs to be an option.

Regards -

Susan B

On 1/11/2015 8:00 PM, @SusanB wrote:

I strictly want the U.S, Month, day, year. For an international site,
it needs to be an option.
As a fellow USAn, I agree about what I see the date format
listed.

Is it at all possible for the *user* to allow the date to
show up in their preferred format? For an international
group (and there are several), letting a USA person see
it as MM/DD/YYYY; and whoever else wants to see it in
some other format - it will not affect anyone else who
is reading the group.

The alternative is to make sure that the date has the
3-letter month, and a full 4-digit year. That eliminates
all confusion, no matter which comes first.

Diana

Dana
In regard to this:
> The alternative is to make sure that the date has the
3-letter month, and a full 4-digit year.  That eliminates
all confusion, no matter which comes first.

Actually, there is still confusion because some people put the day before the month and some put the month before the day.

Susan B

On 1/11/2015 8:27 PM, Susan B wrote:
Actually, there is still confusion because some people put the day
before the month and some put the month before the day.
Yes - which is why spelling out at least the first 3 letters
of the month, and using a 4-digit year - would work for any
date. 13-MAY-2015 = MAY-13-2015 = 2015-MAY-13 = 2015-13-MAY.

Only other language I'm familiar with is Spanish - and the
above would be the same in Spanish. (May = Mayo)

The other option I mentioned is the option used by Excel -
allow the person to choose their own format - but since
I am not the programmer here, I'm not sure which option
would be easier to implement.

dg

Laurence Taylor

On 12 Jan 2015 04:27, Susan B wrote:
Dana In regard to this:
The alternative is to make sure that the date has the
3-letter month, and a full 4-digit year. That eliminates all
confusion, no matter which comes first.

Actually, there is still confusion because some people put the day
before the month and some put the month before the day.
But that doesn't matter if the month is given as a word; neither 15 Jan
or Jan 15 are ambiguous.

--
rgds
LAurence

Sure, but most people don't do this, and adding the words takes up space which is sometimes a concern.

Susan B

>> The alternative is to make sure that the date has the
> 3-letter month, and a full 4-digit year.  That eliminates all
> confusion, no matter which comes first.
>
> Actually, there is still confusion because some people put the day
> before the month and some put the month before the day.

But that doesn't matter if the month is given as a word; neither 15 Jan
or Jan 15 are ambiguous.

--
rgds
LAurence
<><

All, as mentioned, I will be adding the ability to change your date format preference. Not sure when I'll get to it, but it'll be soon. So, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.