Topics

locked Date/Time on messages #suggestion

Duane

It's probably just me, but I'd prefer to see a Date/Time on messages, whether in the site Inbox or in a group's archives, instead of X minutes ago or Y days ago. Seems to make it easier for me to keep things straight.

How do others feel?

Duane

I think there's value to that idea. It let's the reader quickly compare the time of the post rather than both being '3 hours ago'.

Dano

Frances

Hi

Facebook just has 1 hour. No date or time.
If you put time, I guess you need to put the initials of the time zone!
Would you need to select this when you set up your group?

Frances

On Jan 21 15, at 11:01 AM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

I think there's value to that idea. It let's the reader quickly compare the time of the post rather than both being '3 hours ago'.

Dano

I agree. The date/time seems much clearer.

Jim Fisher

On 21 Jan 2015 at 4:35, Duane wrote:

It's probably just me, but I'd prefer to see a Date/Time on messages, whether in
the site Inbox or in a group's archives, instead of X minutes ago or Y days ago.
Seems to make it easier for me to keep things straight.

How do others feel?

http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

Judy F.

Duane, Yahoo Groups also uses this minutes thing especially on pended messages, etc. I agree with you, I like just the date and time. If I want to know how long ago, I can subtract and get the number of hours.

Maybe the reason it is set up like that is due to the various time differences.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

It's probably just me, but I'd prefer to see a Date/Time on messages, whether in the site Inbox or in a group's archives, instead of X minutes ago or Y days ago. Seems to make it easier for me to keep things straight.

How do others feel?

Duane

Judy F.

Frances I can’t remember if I indicated in my profile on Yahoo Groups what time zone I am in, I think I did, so my messages, etc. have the date/time for my time zone.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Facebook just has 1 hour. No date or time.

If you put time, I guess you need to put the initials of the time zone!

Would you need to select this when you set up your group?

Frances

On Jan 21 15, at 11:01 AM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

I think there's value to that idea. It let's the reader quickly compare the time of the post rather than both being '3 hours ago'.

Dano

Duane

That's one of the things that changed with NEO. It used to have date/time, but they wanted to be like Facebook.

I'm not sure how Mark is going to do the date thing allowing different formats, but I think it could be used here for each person. I'm also not sure how the time is stored on messages, but I think it could be displayed in local time. The problem with that is if/when you start talking about a meeting or something, there may be folks in two or more different time zones. I think Yahoo just always used Pacific time and everyone adjusted their thinking.

Duane

Judy F.

I know any message I receive from the various Yahoo Groups, they show my current time. I get my messages in my inbox of Outlook.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

That's one of the things that changed with NEO. It used to have date/time, but they wanted to be like Facebook.

I'm not sure how Mark is going to do the date thing allowing different formats, but I think it could be used here for each person. I'm also not sure how the time is stored on messages, but I think it could be displayed in local time. The problem with that is if/when you start talking about a meeting or something, there may be folks in two or more different time zones. I think Yahoo just always used Pacific time and everyone adjusted their thinking.

Duane

Judy,

Maybe the reason it is set up like that is due to the various time
differences.
I suspect you're right. Relative time ("ago") is the same no matter what time zone the user is in.

Frances I cant remember if I indicated in my profile on Yahoo Groups
what time zone I am in, I think I did, so my messages, etc. have the
date/time for my time zone.
Yes, the time zone listed in your Yahoo Account Info page is used to display date/time information throughout Yahoo - except on calendars (they have their own).

It used to be that you had to set the Account Info time zone correctly, but the last time I looked it is setting your time zone automatically based on location information.

I know any message I receive from the various Yahoo Groups, they show my
current time. I get my messages in my inbox of Outlook.
That's being done by Outlook. The Date field of email headers specify both a Date/Time and the UTC* offset of that Date/Time. With that information Outlook can convert the Date/Time to anyone's local time. For example, your first message in this thread had:

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:23:32 -0500
The "-0500" is the offset from UTC of that date/time. I live in in UTC-0800, so my email software subtracts the difference in those offsets (3 hours) from that date/time and displays your messages as having been sent at "04:23 PM 1/21/2015" - in my local time.

-- Shal
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Duane,

I think Yahoo just always used Pacific time and everyone adjusted their
thinking.
There was a time when U.S. Pacific time was the default when you created a new account. But if there was ever a time when one's Account Info didn't include a Time Zone setting that was before I started using Yahoo Groups.

-- Shal

Frances

Hi

On Profile in Groups.io, you set your time zone.
Just saw this today.

Frances

On Jan 22 15, at 2:39 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Duane,

I think Yahoo just always used Pacific time and everyone adjusted their
thinking.
There was a time when U.S. Pacific time was the default when you created a new account. But if there was ever a time when one's Account Info didn't include a Time Zone setting that was before I started using Yahoo Groups.

-- Shal

Duane

On a Calendar event, it already corrects the original time to local (if set correctly), so that won't be a problem. Having the same (corrected) time would work fine for me on posts. If a meeting/whatever were being setup by post, mentioning the time zone would be up to the poster and a good practice to get into.

Duane

I originally went with the 'N minutes ago' displays for a couple of reasons. A lot of people like that style, and it didn't require us to know what timezone you were in. And we didn't have a timezone setting before the calendar was added.

As part of the profile addition for specifying the format of dates, I'll look at adding an option to not display things as 'N minutes ago'.

I'm not sure when I'll get to the date changes. I want to get the easy Yahoo group transfer stuff done first and finalize any changes to the subscription page.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On a Calendar event, it already corrects the original time to local (if set correctly), so that won't be a problem.  Having the same (corrected) time would work fine for me on posts.  If a meeting/whatever were being setup by post, mentioning the time zone would be up to the poster and a good practice to get into.

I'm (and I'm sure many others!) with you on getting the transfer set up. While I was reading your reply, it came to mind that the "easy" part of that is from the group owners standpoint and not your programming standpoint. All those "fiddly bits" needed for something this big are bound to want lots of attention. (grin)

Judy F.

Thanks Shal, I didn't realize that Outlook was doing that. At least my
memory hasn't totally failed me.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:23:32 -0500
The "-0500" is the offset from UTC of that date/time. I live in in UTC-0800,
so my email software subtracts the difference in those offsets (3 hours)
from that date/time and displays your messages as having been sent at "04:23
PM 1/21/2015" - in my local time.

-- Shal
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Nightowl >8#

I would prefer a date/time as well, but  I do understand that causes problems at times. If it could be done though, I would like it better.

Brenda