moderated Date format settings #suggestion

I have no opinion on this except to say that the issue is not whether or not to accommodate ‘newcomers.’ I think the desires and needs of all members are important, newcomers or not. (Please note: I am not a ‘newcomer.’)

On Feb 25, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Jean Bennett via Groups.Io <jcbennett=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Sue

Jean,

I am in the UK and therefore, obviously, would prefer the date to be
dd/mm/yyyy. Equally I understand that those in the USA would prefer
mm/dd/yyyy. And of course, Mark being American would naturally create the
date format that he is familiar with. That is fully understood. However
Groups io is growing and becoming international and so I think it is not
surprising that people are asking the question about other date formats.
It is not a question of seniority at Groups io (my group has also been here
for two years), I think that is irrelevant. It is a question of being able
to see and instantly understand something we have known all our lives.
However I would happily accept yyyy/mm/dd as a universal compromise, not
least because my group does have members from various countries including
the USA.

Sue

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set
optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members
should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean Bennett

Not to belabor the issue, but, as you said, we want to see and understand that with which we have been familiar all our lives. That is why I feel strongly that the date format should be set optionally at the user or group level or, if that is not feasible, be left as it currently is to avoid confusing our members.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Sue,

However I would happily accept yyyy/mm/dd as a universal compromise,
ISO standard 8601 would be YYYY-MM-DD (hyphens, not slashes). Be that as it may...

not least because my group does have members from various countries
including the USA.
A date/time format selection, like the timezone selection, I imagine will end up being a personal selection in one's account. With a default set by the first group you join, if you join one before setting the option in your account (e.g. you accept an email invitation, or are transferred in from Yahoo, etc.).

I don't know, but I wouldn't expect a site-wide change of format before the account option.

Shal

I don't know what you mean by "newcomers". Some of us have been on Groups.io
almost from the beginning, and find the illogical MMDDYY format confusing. If
there is no choice, it should be the logical international format that should
confuse nobody. Failing that DDMMYY is used by most of the world and therefore
a better choice than MMDDYY (and more logical). Another alternative that should
be universally acceptable is to put the month in words (or three letter
abbreviations), although this is not as easily used for sorting as the
international format is..

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Jean, et al,

I think I've said this before, but if not, let me be clear, any date format changes will be user specifiable.

I will make this change, but I don't know when it will happen.

Topic has been beaten, I will not approve any more messages on it.