Topics

locked Database Wishlist #suggestion

RS

As I just mentioned, I thought I would start a thread for wishlists that would go with categories of features that may not be out yet.  This one is for Databases.  Please feel free to add your own wishlist items to this thread.  That's what it's for.  @Mark, I know some things may be pie in the sky, but that's why it's a wish list.  I'll be happy with anything even close.

Things I would like to see in a database feature:
  • As unlimited as reasonably possible for field options.  Not asking for GoogleDocs integration or anything, but as many columns as can be allowed in a free service would help some groups.  I thnk the default of 10 was YG standard for years and last I saw commentary many folks found that too few.  Suggest ballpark goal of 20, if possible.
  • Ability to upload pictures to at least one column (a size or file type limit would seem logical to apply here).  One of my pasttimes on groups was play by email games, and being able to upload small gifs or graphics to a database would let people create ranking systems or awards in a visual way.  Granted, once graphics come to the wiki page, one could do the same there, but databases have their own special characteristics, like being able to sort and filter.  For larger collections of data, this might be crucial for some groups.
  • Ability to sort and filter columns. XD
  • Exportability as a spreadsheet.  For those groups that use these for address lists, it would be a critical feature.
  • Ability to include hyperlinks in a field.  That way people could make entries and also link to outside sources.  This could also replace the need for a dedicated Links page, so you get a two-fer feature for groups that want Links page.  If you want to get really slick, let people upload a graphic and use that as a link.  OK, so maybe that's crazy talk.  It would be unique though!
  • Ability to import a list or spreadsheet and have it land in a database feature.
  • Ability to insert new columns after creation, in case needs change.
That's all I can think of for now.  What would any of you like to see?

Nightowl >8#

I would just like to see a database feature added to the site. Then all the people who's databases were destroyed can come here and build new ones.

Question: if someone creates their own database, are they allowed to transport that data elsewhere even if it was created on Yahoo?

Brenda

Brenda,

Question: if someone creates their own database, are they allowed to
transport that data elsewhere even if it was created on Yahoo?
If by "their own" you mean that the entire database table is created by a single someone, then yes of course: that person is always free to give himself/herself permission to publish his/her own content in other venues.

In other words, Yahoo in its TOS does not claim ownership of the members' contributions, it only claims non-exclusive license to display the contributions.

For databases built by multiple contributors the situation is murkier. As far as I know Yahoo's TOS doesn't distinguish between different types of content: the member's contribution is the member's contribution. In Yahoo Groups it would be possible, in principle, to distinguish the rows contributed by (or last edited by) each member.

That said, I don't think the current implementation reveals authorship for database content in any way (not in the database itself nor in the activity logs). I don't remember specifically, but I don't think Classic did either. So there are practical difficulties with respecting ownership of members' content within the database. The question of "allowed" then boils down to a question of how a dispute could possibly be decided. With a total absence of evidence of ownership I think the members would have to simply look upon the database table as a collaborative content, with no part of it specifically owned by any member.

But I am not a lawyer, so if you move a database and end up in a dispute with other people about their ownership of the content don't cite me as giving you permission.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Shal,

I was thinking about the french girl that had all the database problems. She created the database and others simply used it, if I recall.

Brenda