moderated CSS tags and HTML attributes stripped from elements but only online? #bug

Jim Wilson

Per a question posted on GMF, table (and I assume other) elements style tags and even old HTML element attributes are being stripped out completely but only when viewing online. I first thought it was the browser, however emails of individual test posts received via Outlook displayed correctly. Also, emails received via Gmail and viewed in Chrome displayed correctly, as well.

Is this a bug or is purposely done by the rendering engine for the web site?
--
Jim

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 10:08 AM Jim Wilson via groups.io <groupsio=texnetsys.com@groups.io> wrote:

Per a question posted on GMF, table (and I assume other) elements style tags and even old HTML element attributes are being stripped out completely but only when viewing online. I first thought it was the browser, however emails of individual test posts received via Outlook displayed correctly. Also, emails received via Gmail and viewed in Chrome displayed correctly, as well.

Is this a bug or is purposely done by the rendering engine for the web site?

This is on-purpose, to defang potentially mischievous emails. If there's a specific tag that you'd like whitelisted, we may be able to do so.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 05:27 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If there's a specific tag that you'd like whitelisted, we may be able to do so.
I believe the request is not so much to allow more tags, but to retain the style attributes within a tag.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 11:41 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I believe the request is not so much to allow more tags, but to retain the style attributes within a tag.
For more clarity, I personally don't mind this behavior so much in messages saved to the online message base. For me, it's more of a problem in the wiki, where the stripping of inline styles leaves one really hamstrung in our ability to make pages look the way we want them to.

Regards,
Bruce

Jim Wilson

I second Bruce's points. I should also add that it seems incongruent to strip CSS and element attributes from posts shown via the web presentation while simultaneously allowing the them to remain in the email deliveries of those same posts.

--
Jim