Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:37 AM
Subject: [beta] Cover photo

All,

I've made a couple changes to the Group Home page. I moved the text (group title and address) out of the image, below it.

More importantly, I changed how the cover image was being scaled. I think this is better and will be easier for people to deal with. It doesn't rely on a specific image size; it dynamically resizes and does not crop.

Please let me know what you think.

RS

Hi Mark,

It does show the whole image now, which is nice.  It tends to leave a good deal of white space on either side (on my screen anyway) in most cases of images I've tried out so far.  I notice that groups with the default elephant picture have almost the whole page taken up, and the image spreads across the width of the page, but I wasn't able to replicate that with any images I tried.  I'd be content with any of the non-full width images I tried out, except for the white space that remained on the sides.  Would there be a way to allow the mod to set the image to be left justified instead of centered?

Mostly, I like the functionality of the change, as the images I uploaded weren't cropped anymore, and only a few went smooshy on me.  Just wondering how to best work with the new parameters to create the look I'd prefer.

I also noted that the cover picture doesn't preview the new image.  It would be nice if it could, as I found myself bouncing to the home screen and back as I tried images out.  Minor stuff.

Thanks!

-Tyger

Excellent, Mark!! That is MUCH better and gave us back the sharpness of the image. Also thank you for moving the title line. - Dano

I think it's good to get the writing off the group image, as that only works well with certain images.  However, I think there should be an option for no scaling at all.  As an example, we had a family group on Yahoo, and when something major happened to a certain family member, we would change the group image to be one of that person.  Stretching or squashing that image would just ruin it, and it's too much work to photo edit everything we'd want to put up.

JohnF

Cacky B

I like it.  I'm going to have to re-do some parts of mine, but I prefer the overall effect that you've accomplished.
Cacky

On 1/23/2015 6:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
All,

I've made a couple changes to the Group Home page. I moved the text (group title and address) out of the image, below it.

More importantly, I changed how the cover image was being scaled. I think this is better and will be easier for people to deal with. It doesn't rely on a specific image size; it dynamically resizes and does not crop.

Please let me know what you think.

JohnF,

However, I think there should be an option for no scaling at all. As an
example, we had a family group on Yahoo, and when something major
happened to a certain family member, we would change the group image to
be one of that person. Stretching or squashing that image would just
ruin it,
I see what you mean.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/shalstest

Apparently it goofs up on images that are too close to square aspect ratio. No way the result should be rescaled by a different ratio on one axis than the other.

-- Shal

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 1:20 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I see what you mean.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/shalstest

Apparently it goofs up on images that are too close to square aspect ratio. No way the result should be rescaled by a different ratio on one axis than the other.

I had not changed the initial image resizing code. It was trying to resize all cover photos to 900x300, without preserving the aspect ratio. Now it preserves the aspect ratio while resizing. Can you upload your cover photos again and let me know what you think?

I now get a nice neat picture - central and the right ratios!

On 25 January 2015 at 17:36, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 1:20 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

I see what you mean.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/shalstest

Apparently it goofs up on images that are too close to square aspect ratio. No way the result should be rescaled by a different ratio on one axis than the other.

I had not changed the initial image resizing code. It was trying to resize all cover photos to 900x300, without preserving the aspect ratio. Now it preserves the aspect ratio while resizing. Can you upload your cover photos again and let me know what you think?

Mark,

Now it preserves the aspect ratio while resizing. Can you upload your
cover photos again and let me know what you think?
Perfect.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/shalstest
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/GroupManagersForum

-- Shal