Topics

locked cover photo

I have a question about the Cover Photo.  Using a couple different photo editing applications, I managed to come up with a 900 x 300 photo, which is supposed to be the right size to use with groups.io.  When I go to upload it under Settings -> Cover Photo, and then view it on the Home page, it doesn't look right.  The top appears truncated.  When I go back to the Cover Photo section under Settings, it looks like it should.  But, the length looks short for my browser window.  So, I go back to the home page and hold my mouse on the lower right corner of my browser and drag the corner to shorten the length of browser.  Eventually, I get to a point where the cover photo displays correctly.  But, it leaves about 2 inches of the desktop showing on each side of the browser.

What I am wondering is if groups.io is optimized for displays that are more square?  I use an iMac with a 21.5 inch display.  It is longer than it is high.   My son uses a Window 8 computer with a display that is wider than it is high.  My other son has an older Windows XP with a square monitor.  Of the three, I am thinking that the cover photo would only display correctly on the XP computer.

Donna

Donna - The page layout changes with the size of the text. Try changing it with 'CTRL +' and 'CTRL -'. I believe this is because the width of the column displayed is not set but floats with the display width. Dano

Duane

I found that as long as I kept the browser window approximately square, the cover photo looks fine.  If I start making the browser wider, the photo gets cropped top and bottom, but the width stays correct.  This appears to be a glitch, but it isn't critical on the groups I've started.

Duane

Okay, I tried enlarging the text and that did help the photo display; but, the default font size is already at 16, if I make it bigger, it's going to look like a pre-school primer.  It seems that each person will have a different experience depending on the size of the font or the browser window.  I'm not going to stress over this; but, I was curious as to what caused my photo to display the way it did.  Thank you.

Duane,

I found that as long as I kept the browser window approximately
square, the cover photo looks fine. If I start making the browser
wider, the photo gets cropped top and bottom, but the width stays
correct. This appears to be a glitch, but it isn't critical on the
groups I've started.
I don't think that's a glitch: I think it is intended that the height available to the photo not grow taller as the window grows wider. I think it is a reasonable compromise between traditional 4:3 or 5:4 (nearly square) monitors and today's 16:9 or even wider widescreen monitors.

If the photo height grew proportionate with the width that would take up way too much room in a window shaped to fit a widescreen monitor. Conversely if the width of the photo did not expand with the width of the window, then you'd end up with a "postage stamp" image within a wide bar of background color.

Given this, as guidance to moderators I'd say pick your image to suit the fact that this vertical cropping will occur: Keep the interesting part of the photo to the center. In other words, rendering text into the photo or otherwise trying to dense-pack information there is not going to work.

I realize that was a favored technique in Yahoo Groups. Both to make a larger presentation and to overcome the 2000 character limit for the description text. One of the larger examples I've seen is this one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/9469165165/in/set-72157594538412310
That's multiple photos and text all composed together into a single very large homepage image.

As guidance to Groups.io I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. Large displays like the above are almost certainly better handled via HTML support within the description, hopefully without a too-small limit on the number of characters.

Possibly add an option to disable the width matching so that something like logo art can be used as the group's image, knowing that it will be flanked with background color but without the danger of it being cropped.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Shal wrote:>>Possibly add an option to disable the width matching so that something like logo art can be used as the group's image, knowing that it will be flanked with background color but without the danger of it being cropped.<<

Bingo. We need some sort of frame box, or colored background frame that we can position the photo in anywhere, and make it work. I tried to make such a frame on Owlperch but it even stretched the frame.

Making the cover photo much more simpler to put up and take down and switch is a huge requirement for many Yahoo Groups. I hope we can find some sort of compromise where it can be simpler.

Brenda

I don't understand why there's any need for width matching or any other
processing of cover photos. Why not just let people upload images as they like,
and display them as sent, possibly with an option to have them aligned left,
centre or right (with centre as the default). Obviously some people will need
guidance as to what size is reasonable in term of pixels so they show sensibly
on different screen widths, and there probably needs to be a file size limit. I
think that's more or less what Shal is suggesting, isn't it? The coding should
be a lot simpler than any width matching or other adjustments.

Jim Fisher

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

Jim,

I don't understand why there's any need for width matching or any
other processing of cover photos.
I don't speak for Mark, but is usually done because every member's window might be a different width, and modern design sensibilities abhor having variable blank space around a fixed size image. And a fixed size image is inevitably a screen hog on one's mobile device but a postage stamp on another's large-screen monitor.

Why not just let people upload images as they like, and display them
as sent, possibly with an option to have them aligned left, centre or
right (with centre as the default). Obviously some people will need
guidance as to what size is reasonable in term of pixels so they show
sensibly on different screen widths, ...
Those are additional complications. It isn't "simple and easy to use" if you have to tell the user to pre-process the image into a certain pixel size. Many users aren't proficient with any image editing tools.

What might be nice is an uploader that allows the user to upload any image and see a "live" preview that allows the user to zoom and pan the image within a rectangle representing the cover image display. In other words, provide a simple size and crop tool. Maybe it needs both a "max" and a "min" rectangle: always crop down to the max, but never crop smaller than the min. Then users with a logo or other specific art can use the min rectangle to ensure that the important part of the image shows.

What I suggested was a lot simpler (for Mark, but maybe not for the user): a simple checkbox that's useful for users that have a logo or otherwise fully prepared image, but not too helpful for a user with a photo of which they'd like to use only a portion.

And note that none of this required the user to think about pixel sizes: the pixels would be resampled automatically as needed to fit the selected portion of the image into the display window.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Shal, just about anything is better than having to figure out if the image
will fit, find out it doesn't and have to try again. I finally had to have
a friend of mine that is very good with Paint Shop Pro to fix the image for
my group so it looked right.

This has really been a sore point with a lot of Yahoo owners/moderators
trying to resize so it meets the criteria.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

> I don't understand why there's any need for width matching or any >
other processing of cover photos.

I don't speak for Mark, but is usually done because every member's window
might be a different width, and modern design sensibilities abhor having
variable blank space around a fixed size image. And a fixed size image is
inevitably a screen hog on one's mobile device but a postage stamp on
another's large-screen monitor.

> Why not just let people upload images as they like, and display them >
as sent, possibly with an option to have them aligned left, centre or >
right (with centre as the default). Obviously some people will need >
guidance as to what size is reasonable in term of pixels so they show >
sensibly on different screen widths, ...

Those are additional complications. It isn't "simple and easy to use" if you
have to tell the user to pre-process the image into a certain pixel size.
Many users aren't proficient with any image editing tools.

What might be nice is an uploader that allows the user to upload any image
and see a "live" preview that allows the user to zoom and pan the image
within a rectangle representing the cover image display. In other words,
provide a simple size and crop tool. Maybe it needs both a "max"
and a "min" rectangle: always crop down to the max, but never crop smaller
than the min. Then users with a logo or other specific art can use the min
rectangle to ensure that the important part of the image shows.

What I suggested was a lot simpler (for Mark, but maybe not for the
user): a simple checkbox that's useful for users that have a logo or
otherwise fully prepared image, but not too helpful for a user with a photo
of which they'd like to use only a portion.

And note that none of this required the user to think about pixel sizes:
the pixels would be resampled automatically as needed to fit the selected
portion of the image into the display window.

-- Shal

Why not just let people upload images as they like, and display
them as sent, possibly with an option to have them aligned left,
centre or right (with centre as the default).
I think Jim and Shal's idea is reasonable and worth trying. I use a full width graphic that includes the group name and the current shifting size causes problems at the top and edges.

I would also like to see the option of the name overlaying the graphic be changed to transparent or not shown, since it is extraneous to my group header. Please see https://groups.io/org/groupsio/MILW to understand the situation I'm talking about.

Dano

Thanks for that explanation, Shal. I have no knowledge of how many pixels there
are across the screen of a smart phone or tablet, and assumed it must be fairly
large to be useable. From what you say, it seems that's not the case. (I don't
have either.)

I must admit I've always taken it for granted that anyone can easily resize or
crop an image in readily available free image processing software, and that
that would be even more likely to be the case for a group owner than for the
average user, but no doubt, as you say, there are some who can't.

Why anyone should be bothered by variable blank space beside an image I totally
fail to understand, but having the image big enough to be visible on a big
screen and small enough to go on the screen without significant sideways
scrolling on a small one certainly makes sense.

Jim

Jim,