moderated Confusion about Uploading/Updating files and the Activity log #misc #bug

Andy I

This is probably a bug or two.

When a member uploads a file to a group's Files, usually the log and email messages say "added file" about that file.  But sometimes the log and messages say "updated file", even when it is the first time the file was uploaded.  I get it that one can update a file that was already there (by clicking on the "Update" button that looks like a pencil and pad), and that this causes a newly uploaded copy of the file to take the place of the original file, and that it counts as an "update" rather than an "upload" even though they both involve an upload from the member's computer to groups.io.  OK, I'll go along with that.  But why would a brand new upload, of a file that was not already there in the group's files, count as an "update" instead of an "upload"?  That is to say, why would both the Activity log and the email message sent to Moderators call it an "update" when it was the first "upload" of the file?

Also, in the Activity log, the drop-down menu at the top has a choice for "Added file", which lists only the "added file" entries in the log.  But where is the choice to see "updated" files?  There is no drop-down menu choice for "Updated" anything.  What's up with that?

Andy

Duane

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:47 AM, Andy I wrote:
But where is the choice to see "updated" files?
In the drop down, it's listed as Modified File (or whatever).

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:47 AM, Andy I wrote:
But why would a brand new upload, of a file that was not already there in the group's files, count as an "update" instead of an "upload"?
I tried to do some testing for this and was able to somewhat reproduce it.  If I use Update File, but select a file with a different name than the one originally uploaded, it still shows as an update, so the second file name never shows in the activity as having been uploaded before.  If I use the link in the log to the original file, it goes to the second one.  Otherwise, any file Uploaded always shows Uploaded.

Duane

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:47 AM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

[...]

If someone uses Update File and uploads a file with a different name, what should happen? Should it be treated as uploading a new file: the old file is kept and an 'added file' activity log entry is created? Should it instead take the name of the original file?

The language seems problematic. What’s called “update file” is really “replace file.” The replacement can be by a file with the same name or with a different name. The groups.Io action “update file” does not (of course) actually update the file itself.

If you “update” with a file of the same name, that probably implies that the file, prior to the groups.Io replacement, probably has actually been updated. If a new name, then not.

If the groups.Io language could be changed to reflect this, that would probably help. You could start by changing the name of the action to “replace.” After that, the log entry could possibly differentiate between same name “updated file”) and new name (“uploaded new file”).

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 03:34 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If someone uses Update File and uploads a file with a different name, what should happen?
I would have preferred that the new file be uploaded with the new name and the original file that was being 'updated' be deleted.  I can see where it might be better to use the old name for the new file though.  That should preserve any links posted.

Duane

From: "Mark Fletcher" <markf@corp.groups.io>
Date sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:33:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [beta] Confusion about Uploading/Updating files and the Activity log #misc #bug
To: main@beta.groups.io
Send reply to: main@beta.groups.io

involve an upload from the member's computer to groups.io <http://groups.io>*.
OK, I'll go along with that. But why would a brand new upload, of a file
that was not already there in the group's files, count as an "update" instead
of an "upload"? That is to say, why would both the Activity log and the email
message sent to Moderators call it an "update" when it was the first "upload"
of the file?

If someone uses Update File and uploads a file with a different name, what
should happen? Should it be treated as uploading a new file: the old file
is kept and an 'added file' activity log entry is created? Should it
instead take the name of the original file?

I would think the best thing from a user viewpoint would be a message to point
out the anomaly, and then give them the choice between all those options or
simply cancelling the action. Only they would know if it was intended or a
simple mistake.

Jim