Conflicting Message Policies UI issue #suggestion #bug

Hi Mark,

In trying to troubleshoot an HTML vs text footer issue, I noticed the group settings screen allows this particular checked-button combo:

If both are checked the message is sent out as plain text, I guess either because these rules are processed alphabetically or the Plain Text enforcer carries less luggage hence more rested so it prevails.  :)

But seriously, being able to check both doesn't seem right to me, so one part of the suggestion would be to tweak it so if one checks an unchecked one from either of these two, the other one auto-unchecks-if already checked.

A case could also be made that if the Plain Text is checked, one shouldn't be able to also check the Normalize HTML option as technically it doesn't apply but that it's not as much of a paradox as the above two being check together.

The other part of the suggestion would be to reword the Plain Text Only blurb, I just noticed it's not "inline" with the manual text and hence a bit "vague".

OK, so was this  a typo and it was meant to be "Strip out HTML from messages" or maybe "Strip out all HTML from messages"?  That would make the blurb clearer and also consistent with the Normalize blurb's strip usage & meaning.

Otherwise, in the manual it says "Select this checkbox to convert HTML-formatted messages that are emailed to the group to plain text format" but here it can sound a bit "harsh" as in message gets rejected.  Maybe reword it to "Convert HTML messages to text.", or maybe use the same terminology/style as in the HTML blurb, so "Make all emails text and remove all HTML" or just "Make all emails text".  Or another alternative, reword both and also change Make into Convert so it matches the manual, and we have "Convert all emails to HTML and remove the pain text digest option" and "Convert HTML messages to text" respectively.

Cheers,
Christos

An update on this.

I was told that allowing both was intentional because folks wanted to have Plain Text groups but also wanted to include the "Reply To Sender" link in the footer which is there on the HTML footers but not the Plain Text footers, so by allowing both settings checked one could have a group which converts incoming messages to plain text, but sends it out as HTML, so the HTML footers get used.

In this case I guess we should add some NOTE: or TIP: about it in the owner manual.  I still believe the blurb(s) should be reworded.

I should start a new topic then because that workaround is not working, when both are checked one gets the same real plain text message with the plain text footers they get if Plain Text is checked only by itself.

Cheers,
Christos

Hello,

I've fixed this. The "Plain Text Only" setting extracts the plain text part of a message (almost all emails have both plain text and HTML parts) and creates a new email with just the plain text part. The "Force HTML Email" setting means that we take any emails that only contain plain text and convert them into emails that contain both HTML and plain text parts. Most email clients, given an email with both HTML and plain text parts, will display the HTML part. The HTML parts of emails sent by us contain nice footers with links in them. So, using both settings, you ensure that the messages to your group contain no formatting whatsoever, but also contain nice footers.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mark,

Thanks and it works great, and yes the HTML footers are nicer.  The text-only footers are not bad either, maybe just a bit spartan. :)

Cheers,
Christos

Hello,