Topics

moderated Clarify Photo Album Owner Name #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

we have a Photo Album with mug shots of our Committee members and I noticed that as album owner my name is shown on the cover photo.  Can we clarify that the name given is the album owner, not necessarily the person in the picture:

Thanks
Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 03:40 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
we have a Photo Album with mug shots of our Committee members and I noticed that as album owner my name is shown on the cover photo.
Andy -- I suggest you upload some other image and make that the album's cover photo.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 08:52 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I suggest you upload some other image and make that the album's cover photo.
Yes, I can see that would be a workaround but I shouldn't need to load effectively dummy images when the album was created to contain member photos.

Andy

Duane

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 02:40 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Can we clarify that the name given is the album owner, not necessarily the person in the picture
I think the easiest would be to prepend "Album by" to the name, but that may create a situation in albums set to Group Access where anyone can add photos.  Maybe "Photo by" would be better and use the owner of the photo shown, not the person that created the album.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 04:19 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I shouldn't need to load effectively dummy images when the album was created to contain member photos.
A single black pixel will work. Try the attached "photo" (119 bytes).

Regards,
Bruce

Hi All,

I've removed the album owner from the /photos page and instead it's now displayed when you view a specific album, on top of the cover graphic.

Cheers,
Mark

Chris Jones

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've removed the album owner from the /photos page and instead it's now displayed when you view a specific album, on top of the cover graphic.

Excellent idea! However, the owner's name appears in "underlying link blue" which makes it very difficult to read.

Chris .

Duane

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 05:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've removed the album owner from the /photos page and instead it's now displayed when you view a specific album
But this doesn't resolve the situation where more than one person has added photos to an album.  The album creator is shown as owner until you open a photo.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 12:21 PM, Duane wrote:
But this doesn't resolve the situation where more than one person has added photos to an album.  The album creator is shown as owner until you open a photo.
But is this actually a problem? Accepting that the owner of an album may not be the owner of any or all of the photos within it doesn't look to be a major complication. To widen the discussion slightly... do members get confused when the find that they can upload a photo into album A but not into album B, simply because that is the way the album owners have set them up? Do members get hot under the collar if they find that a Group Owner or Moderator has come along and deleted some material (including complete albums) or moved photos between albums in a rationalisation exercise?

To me there is a risk of going round looking for problems that don't really exist.

Chris

Duane

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 07:22 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
But is this actually a problem?
It really depends on the wishes of the group owner for organization.  If all photos of lamps are to be in the album "lamps", then each may be owned by a different person though the album is (probably) owned by the group owner/mod.  I have just such a situation on one of my groups and none of the photos are mine, but I'm still shown as owner of the album.  In this case, having the photo owner name on the right side, across from the photo name, in the album view would resolve it, but that could be a problem with long photo names.  Maybe under the photo name would be better.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 09:34 AM, I wrote:
However, the owner's name appears in "underlying link blue" which makes it very difficult to read.
While investigating something else (photo related) I made a further discovery about this...

My original assertion is true if both the album owner and the "viewing member" have member - visible entries in the group Directory.

However, if one / the other / both do not have member - visible Directory entries then my comment is not true, and the viewing member sees both "Owner:" and the owner's name in white, which is far easier to see in every example I looked at.

The contrast between an owner's name link and the background provided by the album front photo is IMHO very poor to the point of near - invisibility; white text is much easier to see given the small font.

Short of delinking the album owner's name I'm not sure of a solution to this, assuming of course that you accept the point I am making!

Chris