Topics

locked Changed how polls work

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>

I think it just saying vote is perfect. For people like myself using a screen reader, we need it to be concised, but the less verbiage, while still maintaining comprehention is very important.

Chris.

----- Original Message -----
To: <beta@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 1:33 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Changed how polls work #poll

Mark,

The display then immediately switches to the Results display, if the
poll is configured to show results before the poll is closed.
The "Vote" button appearing at the bottom of the Results display is a little puzzling at first, especially if you get there by having just voted. Maybe it should say "Change Vote" or something to indicate what it allows you to do, and hence why you might click it.

Or would that be too confusing to people that get there without having voted yet (clicked Results)?

-- Shal

Jennifer Christian

Mark, I composed my first ever real poll for members yesterday.   I would have felt MUCH better if there had been a button called "save and view" the poll (as members will actually see it) or even "test" it -- before I sent it out to the group.  

I was surprised and relieved when the poll then showed up as something I had to approve before it was released to everyone -- a great relief.  But, I would felt better doing that in the compose view.

Jennifer Christian

ACOEM-WFD Section list-serv

Mark, the polls are looking great!

I just noticed something, closing out my old multi-choice poll. I think the percentages on polls where multiple choices can be selected aren't being calculated as expected. When voters can select more than one option, the percentages should be based on total number of voters, not with respect to each other.

That is, say there are 10 voters on a two-choice poll, where both choices can be selected, and 8 people selected choice 1 and 8 people selected choice 2. (Some number of those may have selected both choices.) Right now, that would be reported as 50% for each choice. I think it should be reported as 80% for each choice.

JohnF

Judy F.

Thanks Shal, yep I see the Thank you for voting now.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 1:19 AM
To: beta@groups.io

Judy,

Thanks Mark, but since I've already voted, I can't vote again to see
the Thanks For Voting message.
Sure you can. Just go back to the vote display (if you're seeing the results display use the "Back to Vote" link below the results) and click the Vote button. That will bring you to the results display, with "Thank you for voting" in a pale green bar above the vote results.

Or at least, that's what happens for me.

If clicking the Vote button doesn't automatically switch you to the Results display then you have a deeper problem - the button may not be working at all.

-- Shal
Firefox (up to date), Win7 Pro 64-bit.

mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo

thanks groops.io

On 11/6/15, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:
Thanks Shal, yep I see the Thank you for voting now.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 1:19 AM

Judy,

Thanks Mark, but since I've already voted, I can't vote again to see
the Thanks For Voting message.
Sure you can. Just go back to the vote display (if you're seeing the results
display use the "Back to Vote" link below the results) and click the Vote
button. That will bring you to the results display, with "Thank you for
voting" in a pale green bar above the vote results.

Or at least, that's what happens for me.

If clicking the Vote button doesn't automatically switch you to the Results
display then you have a deeper problem - the button may not be working at
all.

-- Shal
Firefox (up to date), Win7 Pro 64-bit.

--
• Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Mark,

I am curious about polls.  I have this small group where members joined early on when I first created the group.  The members barely post message; I'm not sure what they will do with the poll that I created.  How can I tell if people are  voting?  Should the owner of a group be allowed to see results even if he or she has the poll set so that members can't see results until the poll closes? 

Donna

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:52 AM, JohnF via Groups.io <johnf1686@...> wrote:

I just noticed something, closing out my old multi-choice poll.  I think the percentages on polls where multiple choices can be selected aren't being calculated as expected.  When voters can select more than one option, the percentages should be based on total number of voters, not with respect to each other.

Hmm. I can see arguments for both ways. It looks a little weird when you have percentages that don’t add to 100%. But doing it your way, the percentages represent number of people who voted for a particular option, which is different than just number of votes.

If we change how the percentages are calculated, it seems like the wording should change in the results as well, from ‘X votes’ to ‘X people’. What do you think? Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
Mark

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Donna <pnwfemale@...> wrote:

How can I tell if people are  voting?  Should the owner of a group be allowed to see results even if he or she has the poll set so that members can't see results until the poll closes? 

That makes sense to me. Should it be just group owners or group owners and moderators? And the person who started the poll probably should also be able to see the results. However, it might be a bit confusing for someone who created a poll with the option to not show results until the end, who then visits the poll and sees the ‘View Results’ link.

Thanks,
Mark 

Linda

Hi Mark,
Polls should follow the group settings as far as who can view voting members’ addresses. 
Thanks,
Linda

Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 1:03 PM

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Donna <pnwfemale@...> wrote:

How can I tell if people are  voting?  Should the owner of a group be allowed to see results even if he or she has the poll set so that members can't see results until the poll closes?

That makes sense to me. Should it be just group owners or group owners and moderators? And the person who started the poll probably should also be able to see the results. However, it might be a bit confusing for someone who created a poll with the option to not show results until the end, who then visits the poll and sees the ‘View Results’ link.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Linda,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Linda <lindon@...> wrote:

Polls should follow the group settings as far as who can view voting members’ addresses. 

I was asking who should be able to see the results in a (still open) poll that is set so that results are only visible after the poll is closed, not who can see voting member addresses (which isn’t currently a feature at all). 

I’m leaning towards all owners and moderators, plus the person who created the poll. There are no real directly applicable moderator privileges for this, except for maybe ‘edit archived messages’. So I could have it be all owners plus moderators with edit archive privileges instead. But that may make things too complicated, which is why I’m leaning towards just letting all moderators view results early.

Thanks,
Mark

Judy F.

Mark, I think the owner of the group and moderators of the group should be able to see everything from the time a Poll is opened until it closes.  Depending on the setting is whether the members can see the results before the poll is closed.  I don’t think email addresses should be shown to members, only Owner and moderator. 

There are lots of Yahoo Groups, mine included that Polls are only done by Owner/Moderators, no members create a Poll.  Now this isn’t saying that members shouldn’t be able to create one, but that should be an option.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Sent: Friday, November 06, 2015 1:42 PM

Hi Linda,

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Linda <lindon@...> wrote:

I was asking who should be able to see the results in a (still open) poll that is set so that results are only visible after the poll is closed, not who can see voting member addresses (which isn’t currently a feature at all). 

I’m leaning towards all owners and moderators, plus the person who created the poll. There are no real directly applicable moderator privileges for this, except for maybe ‘edit archived messages’. So I could have it be all owners plus moderators with edit archive privileges instead. But that may make things too complicated, which is why I’m leaning towards just letting all moderators view results early.

Thanks,

Mark

Linda

That works for me, Mark!
Thanks,
Linda

Sent: Friday, November 6, 2015 1:41 PM

I’m leaning towards just letting all moderators view results early.

Thanks,
Mark

How do you close a poll?

--
Jim
@poston

<< Pity a donkey with a IQ of 138. Nobody likes a smart ass. >>

Jim,

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Jim Poston <poston@...> wrote:
How do you close a poll?

Click the Edit link in the poll message.

Mark 

On 10 Nov 2015 at 10:14, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:02 PM, Jim Poston <@poston> wrote:
How do you close a poll?

Click the Edit link in the poll message.

Thanks Mark!

--
Jim
@poston

<< A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... >>

Green Fizzpops

I see mention of "when a poll is closed". How does one close a poll?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Green Fizzpops <greenfizzpops@...> wrote:
I see mention of "when a poll is closed". How does one close a poll?
_._,_._,_
When viewing a poll in the Messages section on the website, if you have the right permissions there will be an Edit link under the poll. Click that and you can edit or close the poll. I wonder if this could be made more clear some how.

Thanks,
Mark