Topics

moderated Change the name of the Edit File function to Update File

Mark,

Since files cannot be edited in place (the usual meaning of edit) I suggest that the "Edit File" dialog be renamed "Update File". That would also be more consistent with it having a button named "Update" rather than "Save".

Change also the tool tip on the icon after the file's name in the Files list. I think it is ok to keep the pencil on paper icon to mean "Update".

Perhaps a bit of text under the Browse control would also add clarity:
"Optionally select a local file to replace the online content".

Shal

Gerald Boutin

I agree that clarification is in order.

I would like to suggest that "Replace File" would be a good alternative since the existing online file is being replaced by a local file.

--
Gerald

Better yet.

On Nov 25, 2018, at 9:14 AM, Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:

I agree that clarification is in order.

I would like to suggest that "Replace File" would be a good alternative since the existing online file is being replaced by a local file.

--
Gerald

Chris Jones

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 05:14 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I would like to suggest that "Replace File" would be a good alternative...
A much better option IMHO; Update can be taken to mean "edit" but Replace most certainly cannot.

In his post Shall suggested Optionally select a local file to replace the online content but to me that seems a bit "clumsy"; I would suggest Select a new file to replace the existing one.

Chris

Duane

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I would like to suggest that "Replace File" would be a good alternative since the existing online file is being replaced by a local file.
Not necessarily, you could just be updating the description or file name without replacing it.

Duane

Michael Pavan

How about “Update File” and then buttons (identified with text) for each option.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
I would like to suggest that "Replace File" would be a good alternative since the existing online file is being replaced by a local file.
Not necessarily, you could just be updating the description or file name without replacing it.

Duane

Marv Waschke

I think the core semantic problem is that the entry in the file list on the server is being edited, not the file itself. The file has to be changed locally and the file on the server replaced. All the suggestions so far have been improvements, but none really thunk into place for me. Unfortunately, I don't have a good suggestion, but with so many good brains noodling on it, somebody is bound to come up with something.

In a thread on Group-Help, I volunteered to write a help page on the Files section because one of the moderators of one of my groups was stumped on how to edit a file. We have also noticed that some of our files were garbled (lost line end markers) in the transfer from Y!. I haven't begun to figure that out, but I suspect some misunderstanding of file types on the local machine.
Best, Marv

Chris,

A much better option IMHO; /Update/ can be taken to mean "edit" but
/Replace/ most certainly cannot.
I prefer Update precisely for that reason. The function afforded by this dialog includes both /editing/ the File Name and Description and /replacing/ the file content.

I would suggest /Select a new file to replace the existing one/.
In the semantic context of this dialog we're replacing the existing content with a newer edition (revision) of the content - not a completely "new" (or different) file. The only reason this isn't properly an edit is that the editing must be done locally.

So, for text under the Browse control, a bit more wordy but perhaps less clumsy would be:
"If you wish to replace the online content select a local file with the updated content. (The file content cannot be edited online)."

Shal

Hi All,

I've changed the dialog title to Update File (and also Update Folder). I've also added  "Optionally upload a new file to replace the existing one." under the browse button.

Chris,