moderated Change in xxx@groups.io address during group creation results in prior address used in welcome message #bug

Alan Epstein

I started creating a group and used an initial address (eg: xxx@groups.io). When it flagged that address as invalid, I changed it to another (eg: yyy@groups.io).

When inviting people, the invite message they received used the correct (yyy@groups.io) address. However, upon acceptance, the confirmation email they received (ie: "you're in!") used the original address (xxx@groups.io). Very confusing!

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 6:32 AM Alan Epstein via groups.io <ade26g=pm.me@groups.io> wrote:
I started creating a group and used an initial address (eg: xxx@groups.io). When it flagged that address as invalid, I changed it to another (eg: yyy@groups.io).

When inviting people, the invite message they received used the correct (yyy@groups.io) address. However, upon acceptance, the confirmation email they received (ie: "you're in!") used the original address (xxx@groups.io). Very confusing!
_._,_._,_
It looks like you created a group and then changed the name of the group. When a group is created, a welcome message for the group is also created. When the group name is changed, we don't update the welcome message, because it might have been changed. I believe that's what happened here. You can change the welcome message by going to Settings under Admin and then clicking the Member Notices button.

I'm open to changing the behavior so that if the group name is changed, that we also redo the welcome message with the new name/email. Thoughts?

Malcolm Austen

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 18:16:55 +0100, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I'm open to changing the behavior so that if the group name is changed, that we also redo the welcome message with the new name/email. Thoughts?

As it is possible to have several welcome messages defined. Maybe you could rename (and mark inactive) the existing welcome message before creating the new message with the changed name embedded ..?

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 01:17 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It looks like you created a group and then changed the name of the group. When a group is created, a welcome message for the group is also created. When the group name is changed, we don't update the welcome message, because it might have been changed. I believe that's what happened here.
I think there are other member notices affected besides just the Welcome notice. Also, wiki entries may now contain dead links, footer links in emails previously sent will now generate 404 errors, etc. Ref: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/8127

Not suggesting that you should never start on this, but it may be difficult to find a good place to stop.

Regards,
Bruce

Alan Epstein

I see the issues now. Perhaps a simple pop up explaining that certain settings need to be changed.

Thanks the help.

_Alan

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 2:42 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 01:17 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It looks like you created a group and then changed the name of the group. When a group is created, a welcome message for the group is also created. When the group name is changed, we don't update the welcome message, because it might have been changed. I believe that's what happened here.
I think there are other member notices affected besides just the Welcome notice. Also, wiki entries may now contain dead links, footer links in emails previously sent will now generate 404 errors, etc. Ref: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/8127

Not suggesting that you should never start on this, but it may be difficult to find a good place to stop.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 05:41 PM, Alan Epstein wrote:
pop up explaining that certain settings need to be changed
It's all covered very well in the Owners Manual in the Renaming a Group section.  The manual should be the first thing a new group owner reads (after the ToS ;>) to learn about things like this.  There's additional information in the GMF Wiki.

Duane

Michael Pavan

Mark,

On Oct 22, 2021, at 1:16 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
When a group is created, a welcome message for the group is also created. When the group name is changed, we don't update the welcome message, because it might have been changed.
Or the Owner only wanted to change the Group name.
I think this is the more likely situation,
in either case it's better to receive the 'old' message with the new Group name, than with the 'old' Group name and be directed to the 'old' now non-existent Group.

I'm open to changing the behavior so that if the group name is changed, that we also redo the welcome message with the new name/email. Thoughts?
Yes, please do.
Keep messages consistent with the name of the Group that they come from.

Also please refer to Group by its URL (not posting address),
so that when one clicks on it, they go to the Group's Home page, instead of having a message form opened by their Email Client addressed to post to the Group.

Thanks,
Michael

Gilbert Coville

On Oct 22, 2021, at 10:16 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Would it be possible to create some sort of macro or text substitution capability in the member notices Subject and Body? Therefore, the subject could be something like “Welcome to %%groupname@groups.io” and you could sprinkle %%groupname throughout the body, as appropriate. The macro could also be honored in the General Settings Group Title, Subject Tag, and other usual suspect places where people need to check when changing a group name.

Gilbert

Alan Epstein

I was thinking along these lines too, Gilbert. Very good idea!

_Alan

When inviting people, the invite message they received used the correct (yyy@groups.io) address. However, upon acceptance, the confirmation email they received (ie: "you're in!") used the original address (xxx@groups.io). Very confusing!

.,.,_