change in signature settings causes display name to revert to profile name #bug

Suddenly, or recently, members' display names have been reverting to their profile names, and I keep having to change them back. I know that a change in a profile name is not logged in each group, and that (unfortunately) the name propagates down into all the display names without any notice. But that's not what's happening here. It's when the member changes their signature settings that the display name burps.

Our group members are instructed to update their signatures every time they make even the slightest change to a med dosage. So this is starting to become a big nuisance (and, before I realized the connection, a mystery - there is not the slightest log entry showing any change, other than a signature change).

I just explicitly tested this in my test group and I can't reproduce the problem by changing my signature. So something else is causing display names to revert to profile names, and whatever it is, it is not being logged.

Just now, a group member changed their delivery method (that's logged) and their display name automatically, and silently, reverted to what I assume is their account display name (it's not their profile name), with no log entry.

Something funny is definitely going on.

Mark: for reference, here's the member who just changed their delivery method and had their group display name change to their account display name:
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/member/11497423

J,

I've spent some time going through the logs, and I was unable to find the point where it happened. I also tried to reproduce it, and was unable to. I've added more logging to the system; please let me know when you see it happen again.

Thanks, Mark. I tried and failed to reproduce it in my test group. I know that sometimes it happens when a member changes their signature, other times when they change their delivery method. My guess is that it might be happening whenever they touch anything in their subscription. That’s been the case in my group for several days now, consistently. But mysteriously, I can’t make it happen in my test group. I’ll keep an eye out.

On Jul 25, 2022, at 12:20 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

J,

I've spent some time going through the logs, and I was unable to find the point where it happened. I also tried to reproduce it, and was unable to. I've added more logging to the system; please let me know when you see it happen again.

Mark,

I just emailed the group member (the last one, whose member page I sent you) to find out if he did anything to his account Display Name recently, and he said no. He wrote: "I DID change other settings: profile photo and changing 'Profile Privacy' from 'Only group owners & moderators' to 'Other members of your groups'." In case that helps. And then he told me that the page tells him that all his changes will propagate down to all his groups, with the exception of ones he's customized to a group. Of course, his Display Name in our group had been customized. But by me, not by him. Just in case the bug lies therein...

Mark,

Looking more closely into this, I see that all the cases of the "silent" Display Name change showed up in the next action the member took after I approved a message of theirs. In some cases, the member was NuM; in others, the member was override-moderated. The log, in every case, showed that I approved a message of theirs, and the member's subsequent action shows their Display Name as having reverted to their account Display Name.

However, I can't reproduce this in my test group. I'm still searching.

p.s. Mark, in my testing just now, I changed some display names purposely, so I'd know exactly when they changed back. And I got the new display-name-change notices. Since that's the only thing new regarding display names (at least that I know of), I wonder if it's something in the new code. I think this started happening pretty contemporaneously with that new feature. I can't imagine how it could be related. But I think that's the only thing new with display names.

One more piece of data that might help pinpoint this: In the linked-to member activity page below, you can see the sequence occurring multiple times - (1)  I approve the member's message, and the log is labelled by their correct display name, which is member first name, cat name, country); (2) the member changes their signature settings, but THAT log entry is labelled with only the member's profile name.
https://groups.io/g/Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma/activity?p=Created,sub&subid=11334163
These are easy to spot in the page by looking towards the top, where you'll see several entries labelled with only the cat name (Zoro), which is the profile name. Immediately below (i.e., before) those entries you'll see that I approved a message. So it's not clear whether the message approval, or the changing of the signature, or the combination thereof, is causing the display name glitch. (In another case, the sequence was approval followed by changing email delivery method.)

Hi J,

I think I found the source of the problem, but I'm not 100% certain. When a moderator changed a member's display name, we were not setting the bit in the database that said the name had been changed. Because of this, whenever a subscription was updated, the name would revert back. I think this explains things. I've fixed that, but it's not retroactive to any subscriptions you had already changed.

Mark,

Aha! That sounds very likely. Thanks for having a look.

It doesn’t completely explain why I was not able to reproduce this, unless perhaps you WERE setting that bit at some prior point in development, and the members I was experimenting on did have it set. It’s true that has been happening only with relatively recently added members.

I will keep an eye out.

Thanks!

On Jul 29, 2022, at 9:55 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi J,

I think I found the source of the problem, but I'm not 100% certain. When a moderator changed a member's display name, we were not setting the bit in the database that said the name had been changed. Because of this, whenever a subscription was updated, the name would revert back. I think this explains things. I've fixed that, but it's not retroactive to any subscriptions you had already changed.

… or unless the display names were changed by the members themselves rather than a moderator, in which case I think you’re saying the bit would have been set and I would not have been able to reproduce.