Topics

moderated Can you clarify the long-term status of "legacy" groups? #suggestion

David Kirkby

I'm one of the owners of this group

we have 4,708 members, and since we are using more than 1 GB of disk space, we are paying  for the "Premium" package. Our membership is not due for renewal until 30th August this year. What can we expect to pay ( approximately) in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025?

This post

Are we going to be looking at a cost of a couple of hundreds dollars/year, or thousands of dollars per year?

4708 members appear to be in the "Enterprise" membership region, which runs into the thousands of dollars/year, not hundreds, so would be a significant expense.

Perhaps you could clarify more about the legacy groups. If the pricing of our group is going to go anywhere near the thousands of dollars per year, then we will probably look to set up phpBB on a virtual private server and/or use a mailing list. Groups.io suits us well, but I would like to suggest you make it more clear what the plans are for current premium gropus.

Dr David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET
Email: drkirkby@... Web: https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Kirkby Microwave Ltd (Tel 01621-680100 / +44 1621-680100)
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT.

Duane

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 02:24 PM, David Kirkby wrote:
What can we expect to pay ( approximately) in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025?
I don't work for GIO (and don't have a crystal ball ;>), but I'd expect your costs to remain the same as they are now for those years.  So far, Mark has been very kind in allowing existing groups to remain on their current plan, Basic or Premium.  The message you referenced, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27191, does say that it's for groups created (or upgraded) after the implementation.  As long as you don't drop back to Basic and upgrade again, nothing should change for you.

As I understand things, even with 4708 members, you could use a Premium group, but it would cost ~$2600/yr if it were an upgrade.

Duane