moderated Can no longer ban inactive accounts #update

Hi All,

I just made a minor change, which most people will never encounter. If an email address has been permanently disabled by me, you can no longer ban it. Attempting to do so will now display an error message.

(making changes over vacation, what could possibly go wrong?)

Chris Jones

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 03:04 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If an email address has been permanently disabled by me, you can no longer ban it.
Mark; can I make a couple of suggestions?

1: Change the subject line of this topic to Can no longer ban inactive disabled accounts, and
2: Add a Disabled flag to affected email addresses. Even taking which most people will never encounter at face value it would help any group owner / moderators know that action has been taken "at a higher level".

Chris

Andy

I'm pretty sure this one was directed at me.

Mark, I feel it would be helpful to understand why make this change?  Apparently there was something bad about what I did.  Maybe it messes things up for the servers, or it conflicts with your vision and you don't want it to happen.

For me, it's uncomfortable when someone we banned disappears from our list of Banned Members.  Once banned, I feel they ought to stay on the list, unless someone consciously un-bans them.  I get it that you banned them too and that it effectively overrides our group-specific ban, but it doesn't feel right knowing that they are not banned from our group anymore.

And then, we have the new situation where a banned member modified his settings in our group after being banned.  He should not have been able to do that if he was still on our Banned Members list.

For me, on the moderator end of things, this makes me want to be doubly sure banned members stay on our list of Banned Members.  Once off that list, I feel like we lose control over whether or not they stay banned.  Though I'd like to trust that your list is permanent, I don't know this, so I feel like I want to see their name back on my list of Banned Members.

I guess I'm just wondering why it's necessary to make this change.  Not trying to convince you otherwise, and not expressing anger.  Just puzzled.

Andy

Duane

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:31 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
1: Change the subject line of this topic to Can no longer ban inactive disabled accounts
For those that may not be familiar with this, I believe Mark uses the Inactive parameter of a member record to disable the account site wide, so that's why he titled it this way.  If you download your member list, in the column labeled "User Status" [AKA site wide status], you'll see this option shown.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM, Duane wrote:
For those that may not be familiar with this,
Until your post that included me. :)
I believe Mark uses the Inactive parameter of a member record to disable the account site wide, so that's why he titled it this way.  If you download your member list, in the column labeled "User Status" [AKA site wide status], you'll see this option shown.
Yes it is there. However, although I might have noticed that previously I did not pay it any particular attention. Had I stopped and thought about it then I don't think I would have concluded that it means that the A/C had been disabled. Deactivated might have given me more of a clue, but "inactive"? I don't think I would ever have come to the correct conclusion.

Chris

Andy

FWIW, I agree with Chris that "inactive" was a poor choice of words.  But I guess we are stuck with it.

Did Chris want to change the subject line of this topic, or the error message that is displayed?  If the latter, I wonder if Mark can't just augment the error message without changing the official designation?

Andy

Duane

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 07:08 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Deactivated might have given me more of a clue, but "inactive"? I don't think I would ever have come to the correct conclusion.
The mention of this was over 5 years ago, so I don't hold anyone responsible for not remembering. ;>)  The earliest mention seems to be in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2989, while the specific definition is at https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/5183.  I do see that Deactivated might be easier to understand.  I don't believe these are explained in the Owners Manual, so maybe Nina can add them to the section about "Downloading your group’s member list" when she finishes her travels.

Duane

Chris Jones

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 02:16 PM, Duane wrote:
I don't believe these are explained in the Owners Manual, so maybe Nina can add them to the section about "Downloading your group’s member list" when she finishes her travels.
I would have mentioned this had you not beaten me to it. (Thanks!)

IMHO there are other related "omissions" but I'll flag those up as a reply to your post on "docs".

Chris

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 06:16 AM, Duane wrote:
The mention of this was over 5 years ago, so I don't hold anyone responsible for not remembering. ;>)  The earliest mention seems to be in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/2989, while the specific definition is at https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/5183
Duane, I think you should hold the title "Beta Group Historian.":)