moderated Calendar Reminders #bug

Michael Pavan

There is no "OFF SWITCH" for Hashtags, so my WORK AROUND is these settings (below) and then to edit the Hashtags (and excess verbiage) out of each Reminder before Approving.

Admin > Settings: Message Policies:
- Hashtags Required is unchecked
- Hashtag Permissions is Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, otherwise the message is bounced

and for each and every hashtag (listed below):
#cal-cancelled
#cal-invite
#cal-notice
#cal-reminder
#file
#file-notice
#guidelines-notice
#monthly-notice
#photo
#photo-notice
#wiki
#wiki-notice
Admin > Hashtags: #cal-reminder: Edit Tag: Hashtags:
- No Email (Messages with this tag will not be emailed to the group) is checked
- Moderated (Messages with this hashtag will be moderated.) is checked
- Locked (Topics created with this hashtag will be locked immediately.) is checked
- Reply To is Reply to Moderators
- Use by Mods Only (Only moderators can tag topics with this hashtag.) is checked
- Replies by Mods Only (Only moderators can reply to topics tagged with this hashtag.) is checked

I have a monthly Event set up for 3rd Tuesdays 7pm Eastern Time (America/New York) on our Group Calendar
with Reminders set for 5 days and 32 hours before.
For the TU 2021-09-21 7pm EDT (UTC-4 America/New York) event:
- No TH 2021-09-16 7pm "Message Approval require" notice was sent, nor did the Reminder occur.
- The MO 2021-09-20 11am "Message Approval require" notice was sent, but a Moderator approved it (before I got to it) thinking it would be sent, rather than posted to the Messages archive and not sent to members (as there is no verbiage in the notice saying what 'Approval' means.
This is different from the behavior of Calendar notices in previous months.

Mark

Please:
- Check why "Message Approval require" notices are not sent out

-Put in a simple toggle to "Allow / not Allow" all Hashtags
or 2 toggles: one for automated 'system' hashtags and another for manual 'human-added' hashtags.
Or at least spell out what the consequences of Approval, or Rejection by email is in the "Message Approval require" notices.

Thanks,
Michael

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:14 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
The MO 2021-09-20 11am "Message Approval require" notice was sent, but a Moderator approved it (before I got to it) thinking it would be sent, rather than posted to the Messages archive and not sent to members (as there is no verbiage in the notice saying what 'Approval' means.
I'm sensing confusion on your Moderators part. Approval of a message is surely simple and it means that the message is posted to the message archive at least. As an owner, you can set the no-email option on a hashtag to stop a message being emailed out and members can opt how to receive messages (or not) by their subscription settings and/or muting hashtags.

-Put in a simple toggle to "Allow / not Allow" all Hashtags or 2 toggles: one for automated 'system' hashtags and another for manual 'human-added' hashtags. Or at least spell out what the consequences of Approval, or Rejection by email is in the "Message Approval require" notices
Is this a suggestion or a bug?

Andy

Michael Pavan

Hi Andy,
On 09/21/2021 3:33 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:14 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
The MO 2021-09-20 11am "Message Approval require" notice was sent, but a Moderator approved it (before I got to it) thinking it would be sent, rather than posted to the Messages archive and not sent to members (as there is no verbiage in the notice saying what 'Approval' means.
I'm sensing confusion on your Moderators part. Approval of a message is surely simple and it means that the message is posted to the message archive at least.
Yes, it confusing to not have the "Message Approval required" email notice fail to spell out what the consequences of Approval are, especially when there are Settings that make Approval counter-intuitive.

As an owner, you can set the no-email option on a hashtag to stop a message being emailed out
Yes, as Owner this Setting is selected to prevent Hashtags from being perpetrated, as there is no "OFF" switch for them, however the Calendar's design does not allow any WORK AROUND that is 'fool proof'.
and members can opt how to receive messages (or not) by their subscription settings and/or muting hashtags.
Yes, members have many options.
My goal is to have simple, uncluttered Reminders sent of in-person gatherings of amateur (mostly non-tech savvy) musicians (who are somewhat email competent, but avoid the website as something that is confusing and intimidating to them).

-Put in a simple toggle to "Allow / not Allow" all Hashtags or 2 toggles: one for automated 'system' hashtags and another for manual 'human-added' hashtags. Or at least spell out what the consequences of Approval, or Rejection by email is in the "Message Approval require" notices
Is this a suggestion or a bug?
I suppose it could/should really be both.
I didn't want the #bug to be overlooked among criticism of a #suggestion, so I only #hashtagged it as a #bug, believing that the #hashtag is supposed to focus what the post is about.

The #bug is that no "Message Approval required" notice was sent, and I thought I should post so that it was known, and could be fixed to prevent future (non)occurrences.

Yes, you do point out that explaining the context reveals that a suggestion is also in order. I had thought about also adding a #suggestion hashtag to the subject line, but failed to do that.

I'm not a texter (neither are virtually all members of all my groups) and do not like the graffiti-esque appearance of #hashtags cluttering Subject lines, so I'm not really comfortable with being a perpetrator of them, but since [beta] wants them used I'm trying.

Cheers,
Michael