Topics

locked Calendar is live

This one's a non-issue for my groups. Our members would never have reason to bother with the calendar. Mods handle it. Just posting for feedback from a different user type...

Trish

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
A couple of people on one of our groups (and I) have a concern.  I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit".  Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or intentionally) change an event.  If it's worth doing, I think it would be safer to only allow the originator or moderators to make changes to an existing event.  I'm sure it can be done, just not sure if it's worth the effort.  On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of RSVP where attendees added their names to the event.  Decisions, decisions...

Duane

Duane,

I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit".
Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or
intentionally) change an event.
Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of
RSVP where attendees added their names to the event.
Probably better done through an explicit RSVP mechanism than by general editing of the event.

-- Shal

Duane

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the
messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

Probably better done through an explicit RSVP mechanism than by general
editing of the event.

-- Shal
Those were my thoughts on both, but I never know when someone else might have a better idea. I know Mark has RSVP on his list, but this could be used until then if it would help. To be honest, I'd rather have the limited editing, so the RSVP part was more an afterthought.

Duane

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

I think this makes sense. I've added it to the todo list.

Thanks, Mark

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

I just pushed this change. It will only be in effect for new events; we didn't track who created events up until now. For old events, the old behavior still applies.

Thanks, Mark